Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Easter break

Easter break

I havnt done as much fishing as I would normally like but was able to get out over the Easter break for a couple of day trips on a mates boat and an overnighter on my boat... The day trips were a little like ground hog day with trout and red throat coming of the reefs in good numbers with not much else in between. Easter always seems to produce good numbers of trout and red throats on areas like the 8 fathom patch and lamont reef. I find with all the bait that moves into the bay over March & April it usually doesn't take long to put a feed together if the fish are on the chew like they were..

The overnighter was more targeted at finding quality and fishing new areas. We hit south of 1770 working down past south of lady Elliott towards the Breaksea. It's a long run from 1770 but gives you plenty of options depending on what your fish species preferences are. On the first drop of the day we went over a small show and Gav (Hookinin) quickly started the day off with a nice red that weight 29lb on the Bogga grips... Soon after finding a couple of more new spots we had 8 reds in the box and a cattle dog with a few other mixed reef... I was keen to stay as I knew the Reds were in the area and chewing but I decided to venture further afield while the fish were chewing to see what we could find. In the end it paid off well as we found new areas holding and producing fish with plenty of new marks found. Rather than just sitting on an area that's producing fish or doing the old ground hog day trip we moved and located fish while they were chewing. The end result was we caught a great mixed box of reds, flames, bar cod, rubby snapper, Rosie jobs, Pearlies, snapper, Moaries, blue moaries, wrasse, pigs, parrot, red throats, grassies and what ever other species I forgot to mention.. The fishing was solid on the first day however on the second day it was quiet and we struggled although we didn't need any more fish. The best part for me was we capitalised on the previous day while the fish were on the chew and found some great spots for next time...

cheers

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	69.8 KB 
ID:	112756Click image for larger version. 

Size:	87.7 KB 
ID:	112763Click image for larger version. 

Size:	58.5 KB 
ID:	112757Click image for larger version. 

Size:	82.1 KB 
ID:	112764Click image for larger version. 

Size:	99.8 KB 
ID:	112755Click image for larger version. 

Size:	93.1 KB 
ID:	112762

Re: Easter break

Beauty Keith. Been too long since we seen a report like that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good report keith and some top fish well done

Great job as usual.
    Love reading your reports Keith.

Max The Turk

Mate, where have you been?? Great pics Keith. What is the fish top left pic??

Gav told me about the bar cod coming up with a juvenile one in his mouth!!

Beaker

It's a Pigfish Tony.

Some great fish there Keith, well done.
    Cheers
    Brendon

Nice work Keith, I didn't realise you got pigfish up there. Not common but we do see them down here in certain spots. Fabled to be an aphrodisiac by the asians? That cod's a bit of a pig himself. You've got me even keener to get back up there in a couple of weeks. Well done.
    Mark

PS, Like the shorts in that top left pic. Brace yourselves.

Quote Originally Posted by fishtragic View Post
    Nice work Keith, I didn't realise you got pigfish up there. Not common but we do see them down here in certain spots. Fabled to be an aphrodisiac by the asians? That cod's a bit of a pig himself. You've got me even keener to get back up there in a couple of weeks. Well done.
    Mark
    Mark I made the misses eat the pigfish last night.... It didn't work.. Lol

Quote Originally Posted by fishtragic View Post
    PS, Like the shorts in that top left pic. Brace yourselves.

Shaun's wearing the Knights shorts and I was wearing the doggies board shorts.... Shaun's a top bloke and no matter how much we rib him over the Knights he just stands strong.. Every year he thinks they are coming back to the Johns brothers days.. Lol

I was wondering which one was the cod in the top right!! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Back In Black View Post
    I was wondering which one was the cod in the top right!! LOL
    How was your romantic evening with bobby in 20 Knotts??

Oh we're coming back, it's just a matter of time. How much time? Don't hold your breath. I did say the pigfish thing was a fable but still damn good eating.

Quote Originally Posted by bannana View Post
    How was your romantic evening with bobby in 20 Knotts??
    Noisy!! Damn noisy!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bannana View Post
    Mark I made the misses eat the pigfish last night.... It didn't work.. Lol
    You um, did clean and cook it first - right............