Thread: Quick fish today

Quick fish today

Had couple hours spare so went to chase some flatties.

Ended up with 2 keepers.

Every time i go chasing flatties I alway drop a couple after having them half way to boat.

Why is this so and what am i doing wrong. Really annoys me

cheets
    greg

Re: Quick fish today

cant help you there Greg

I got 25 whiting today rouse, good size and 2 squid, 19 & 23 cm tubes

but I dropped 3 squid on smaller jig, i'm thinking the barbs are too small on smaller jigs

cheers Robin

ps what do you cheets at Greg?......lol

Squids can be touchy buggers at times.

Its common for them to grab jigs around the middle pull on it and not hook up if they are in a tentative mood.

Other times they are all over the jig and its almost impossible to get them off they are hooked up so well.

Im not convinced jig size is the issue. But that said, I don't have many smaller jigs at all.
    Note to self: Don't argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience....

Hey Robin thats a feed mate.
    cheets? Yeah this bloody computer has a mind of its on. Always spits out words u dont want. I must have a female one. Lol

cheers
    greg

I went out today with two fishing mates and we ended up with 35 whiting in the area around the banana banks. I was pretty happy to get a out a put a few fish in my ice box.

seahorse what size hooks are you using to catch the flathead

3/0 jig heads. Maybe i need to go bigger

Greg I only use 1/6 and 1/8oz 1/0 & 2/0 jigheads around there, so I doubt you need to go bigger hook size. I rarely lose any flatties. Only when I can't be bothered with the landing net and they snap the line. You just need a bit of training mate
    Dad reckons fishing is 10% brains and 95% muscle, the rest is just good luck.

If you keep your rod low in the fight you can sometimes pull the hook from their mouth, conversely at the side of the boat, you should keep your rod low as they have a tendency to shake their heads on the surface often cutting through light leaders. How sharp are your hooks?
    If you don't ask, the answer is always no

Thanks Dean for those words of wisdom.
    U are prob right, bit of training won't go astray.
    Long shot, rod down on water when jogging but not when winding in.
    Hooks are sharp. I will try again tomorrow. I just thought with the smaller hook then it wouldn't protrude through the the plastic enough thus I thought a bit bigger hook.
    I always use either 1/4 or 1/6 and 3/8 if really running tide.

Cheers fellas

Greg, the bigger hooks are usually fairly thick and while the flattie may have grabbed your jig it may not have penetrated, look for the thinnest hooks you can find and your landing rate will improve. Finding them can be a tad difficult but worth the effort.

Cheers Dignity.
    they are very thick. I will have a look around

cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Seahorse View Post
    Cheers Dignity.
    they are very thick. I will have a look around

cheers
    Seahorse I fish a lot for flatties and I use 1/4 oz heads with 1.0 hooks, hardly miss a hook up..