Thread: Heading to Moreton Island

Heading to Moreton Island

Hi everyone,

I have just purchased my first decent sized boat- a Stabicraft 1600. I'm hoping this allows me the opportunity to head over to Moreton Island when the weather permits.

I remember my father taking me across from Redcliffe when I was young and he literally just aimed at the cape and we headed over.

I am curious to know whether it is possible to do the same thing or do I risk running aground? Do I need to go via the channels? Are there any hazards to watch out for?

Any help appreciated. I will be heading from Scarborough.

Re: Heading to Moreton Island

There are few sandbanks watch out for.
    The one just over pearl channel comes out of water over low tide which is the main one to watch out for.
    Other banks are shallow but you can pass over low tide however watch out waves will get bigger as they hit the sandbanks.

I normally would go directly east from Scarbrough, hit the beginning of pearl channel which is deeper water and than aim towards the top of the island.

Dont just head up there by eyesight if you have no nav aids in your boat.
    Download Navionics to your mobile phone prior to departing, it is very accurate.

As above, there's one sand bar which is exposed at some low tides. You should see it from the change in water surface unless you're crossing in the dark.

There are one or two banks that can dry out on a dead low or spring low tides but other than that you will be fine to make a bee-line straight across. The banks are generally easy to see if conditions are good - which they should be if you are making the trip - if you are unsure take it slowly across the banks but I always find there is plenty of water underneath.

Its a bit nerve racking the first few times but you will get the hang of it pretty quickly. Best thing I ever did for navigating around the bay was throw away the hand-held out and get a mapping GPS - makes boating in the area a lot more pleasurable as confidence is increased.

Enjoy!

Thanks for the replies guys. I have just had a Lowrance 7ti fitted but am pretty nervous. The furthest I have traveled is Scarborough in my tinny. I might put a call out in the near future for someone to head across with.

I'm not as experienced as alot on here so I head straight across skirting the south end of the banks ending up just south of Tangalooma. If going to Curtin or Bulwer I use the channels between the banks. Nice to hear the advice from those more experienced tho...maybe Ill go straight to Bulwer next time on a half tide or bigger.
    Saying that the water over those banks looks nasty sometimes and I have seen breakers at low water.

I've only been doing that trip for a few years now. I've found that about an hour either side of low tide and the worst of the banks are no concern for my tinny... might be different for heavier boats. Otherwise I approach them with caution.

In average conditions I sit on about 35 - 40 km/h and even then it sometimes feels like such a long trip. But it's safe enough if approached with respect. If you're not comfortable to cross the bay then wait until you are. Like I said, it's a long trip even traveling at a moderate speed. It's even longer if you're not feeling comfortable.

No harm in being cautious but once you see some big deep vee hulls speeding past you will soon realise it's pretty straightforward!

Gilligans island is the spot to miss. Good plotter is worth its weight in gold.
    I use an old ipad with navionics gold

Those little Stabi's are extremely seaworthy. With a bit of experience (and a few jerry cans), in decent weather, you will be able to circumnavigate Moreton let alone head over to Tangas.