Thread: Battery charger

Battery charger

Few weeks ago i bought a new battery charger to charge 105 amp deep cyclce acid battery .
    it was 7 stage , 10 amp, and i do put it on the right setting, acid.

When i hook it up, it stops at 3rd stage and charger gets very hot.

Battery it not quite 12 month old.

What should ido?

I do connect the charger to an extension lead.

cheers
    greg

Ausfish Platinum Member scuttlebutt's Avatar

Re: Battery charger

how long have you left it hooked up for? Might take a day to fully charge a battery of that size. I'd expect it to get pretty warm, but if flames start appearing it might be too hot...

I have left it for couple days but will only go to the third light

I've got a feeling you and I might own the same charger, a gold coloured one from autobarn? had the same problem Friday night/Saturday morning.

Airlock, i got mine from supercheap. I should have had more sense. I never buy cheap.

I will be taking it back tomorrow and want a refund.

Ausfish Platinum Member scuttlebutt's Avatar

Yeah sounds like a dud.

I have a ctek. Best charger I have ever had.

Ctek Indicator

Yep the Ctek battery chargers are excellent.

I also like the comfort indicator (see link) that you can buy. Our batteries are stored behind doors so I intend to connect one of these to the two house batteries then I can check on the approx level of the batteries and easily connect the battery charger to them. One of the batteries is really hard to get to.

I've been testing out a similar ctek indicator - it is not perfectly accurate but good enough to let me know if the batteries are starting to go flat.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/301624958...N36.S1.R3.TR10

I've got the CTEK comfort indicator connectors on both my batteries. The led traffic lights do give you a good idea if they need charging and the connectors make it really easy to connect up the charger without even touching the battery box.

Ive only got a small CTEK MXS 4amp multistage charger but it easily keeps them topped up. Im keeping my eyes open for a special on a bigger MXS 10 or 15 amp CTEK to use on the deep cycle battery on our other boat.
    Note to self: Don't argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience....

When i buy my new battery tomorrow, they have a vitron 15 amp charger $145

Quote Originally Posted by Seahorse View Post
    When i buy my new battery tomorrow, they have a vitron 15 amp charger $145
    Sounds very interesting. I couldnt see any details of that charger on his website. Do you have model details etc?

I saw Victron chargers on another site, they do seem to be high quality chargers from what I can gather.

Do you know if it this model? Saw it on another site for $299, looks very similar to the CTEK. Very!
    VICTRON BATTERY CHARGER 15A BLUE POWER CHARGER IP65

Note to self: Don't argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience....

Hey Moonlighter, when you said he had none left i was going to suggest going to supercheap. Lol

I have used ctek chargers for several years now and they are great. I did have one fail after a couple of years (which is fairly unheard of) but it was replaced under warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by Seahorse View Post
    Hey Moonlighter, when you said he had none left i was going to suggest going to supercheap. Lol
    Just picked up the Victron 15A one from Peter. Looks good.

The M 300 25 amp that comes with a 0.8 amp one has a 5 yr warranty.