Thread: Mercury Verado 175

Mercury Verado 175

Does anybody here have experience with these motors? I want to know about the long term reliability and fuel consumption compared to Yamaha/Suzuki/Honda. Any known issues?

I'm looking at a boat with a 2006 Verado 175, done 700hrs. It was serviced regularly and looks to be in good condition. According to the owner it has been very reliable. I will get it inspected by a Merc mechanic if I decide to purchase.

Re: Mercury Verado 175

Not too sure why, but the Verado never really took off here in Aus, I have never heard much bad talk about them, there's just not many around, if you're really concerned, there is a Verado specific forum in the US that will surely contain some insight.

I use to deckie on a boat that had a 175 or 200 Verado he now has a boat with 2* 350 Verados on the back. Great motors, quite and economical. The 2* 350Verados replaced 2*250 suzies. The Verados just purr along quietly.
    Maturity is not when we start speaking BIG things,it is when we start understanding small things

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    Not too sure why, but the Verado never really took off here in Aus, I have never heard much bad talk about them, there's just not many around, if you're really concerned, there is a Verado specific forum in the US that will surely contain some insight.
    I googled a bit, there doesn't seem to be too many issues reported. The one thing I have read in a few places is that they are thirsty at higher RPMs. I guess that's the same as super/turbo charged cars. But as you said they are not popular in Aus and it seem boats with them are a fair bit cheaper than with a Yammie/Suzi/Honda.

Quote Originally Posted by LoungeLizard View Post
    I googled a bit, there doesn't seem to be too many issues reported. The one thing I have read in a few places is that they are thirsty at higher RPMs. I guess that's the same as super/turbo charged cars. But as you said they are not popular in Aus and it seem boats with them are a fair bit cheaper than with a Yammie/Suzi/Honda.
    They shouldnt be cheaper as they are Mercury's premium product and are more expensive per hp than thier 4 stroke range

I would buy a boat with Verados

Outta Line has a Noosa cat with the 175 Verados

Fuel consumption we have found with a pair of 300hp Verados (current engines) compared to a pair of 300hp suzukis old engines, have found close enough to identical fuel usage over 1000 hours, we average 1000 hours every 18-24 months, and map all fuel usage,

Good info, thanks. How does the servicing cost compare to the Suzukis?

spent 2 days on a bluewave with a 175 verado. i was very happy with it. super smooth. loved the DTS.

Marine outfitting solutions
    www.moosemarine.com.au

No difference in service cost at all,

Quote Originally Posted by LoungeLizard View Post
    Good info, thanks. How does the servicing cost compare to the Suzukis?
    I think if you are looking at a boat of this size and you are concerned about servicing cost or fuel costs between 2 very similar products then perhaps you need to set your sights a little lower. You are quibbling over no more than a few hundred $s a year- if that. If money is that tight you are likely to be in a world of hurt at some stage with a decent size boat.

Just had my 200 L6 Serviced basic service is $760

One of my very good mates in Tannum has 2 x 175s on his plate cat. Last trip 1 had warning buzzer going off and so he checked it out and couldn't see anything wrong with it. Oil level at the time was good so kept going but the engine wouldn't rev above 2500 rpm. When he got it home he put it on the muffs and noticed oil in the water so shut it down and got the Mechanic out. He found the problem was the heat exchanger for the oil had sprung a leak and apparently it is a common problem on the 175hp. He was lucky he had 3 months left on his warranty and the cost was around the $5k as he got both engines done. The mechanic had to travel to his house as well as it is to big to tow any great distance so that could account for a bit of the cost. Lucky he had 2 motors as well although he could have made it back at 2500rpm.

Quote Originally Posted by Camhawk88 View Post
    I think if you are looking at a boat of this size and you are concerned about servicing cost or fuel costs between 2 very similar products then perhaps you need to set your sights a little lower. You are quibbling over no more than a few hundred $s a year- if that. If money is that tight you are likely to be in a world of hurt at some stage with a decent size boat.
    I think that is a very harsh attitdue towards him for asking what is a very simple and sraight forward question. At no point was he "quibbling" but just asking a question he obviously doesn't know the answer to. Maybe the reply was gonig to be that they are $500 a service more expensive due to the flux capcitor in the verado that the others do not have? Or maybe there is an expensive part that needs replacing at 1000hrs that may sway his decison?

He's doing the right thing in gleaning all available information before making his decision. Exactly the purpose of this forum. Give the bloke a break and get off your high horse.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

Not on a high horse Lovey, just putting it into perspective. The Verado, suzzie, Honda, any of the mainstream 4 strokes in that size bracket will have bugger all difference in fuel useage,. He didnt ask about servicing but again there would not be a huge difference between them.

A boat of this size will cost probably $2-3k per year in maintenance, rego etc. to have sitting there, then you will have issues or things to add (BOAT acronym), so really you would expect costs of owning a boat this size to be closer to $5k per year- kinda makes that couple of hundred pale into significance. If that couple of $100 did make or break the deal then I suggest the other costs mentioned might be too much to carry on that budget and a smaller boat might be advisable.

My main point was- the fuel efficiency and servicing costs when comparing 2 very similar products would be one of the last things I would consider- service agents, deal you can get , reliability (which he did ask about and is important) would be more pertinent questions.

Anyway this thread is getting a couple of months old so probably moot points. Lounge Lizard, did you end up getting this rig? Personally I really like the Verados.