Thread: soft plastics at the reef?

soft plastics at the reef?

I'm looking to drop a few soft plastics down at the weekend, fishing between 30-50meters roughly. Just looking for a few tips on the right way to rig them, I was thinking a heavier jig head about
    (1/2) on a 7" bait with a small amount of leader going to the swivel, sound about right? If the current kicks up a bit would the action still work ok with a small weight running on the mainline and maybe a longer leader?

Re: soft plastics at the reef?

I was using a 1oz head in 55m on the weekend with a 5" plastic sometimes it goes straight down no worries other times the current gets it I use 6ft of leader with a double uni knot and tied straight to the leader, if you're lucky the fish will eat it when it gets to the bottom otherwise just lift the rod up and let it back down sometimes they eat it while it is just sitting in the rod holder. I like to use Zmans with a bit of X-factor in the cavity. Good luck

X-Factor, eh?
    Personally, I use Zmans with a little S-Factor - so X-Factor must be even better!
    Do you think it's the singing or the dancing that makes the difference?

Sorry...I just couldn't resist!

Quote Originally Posted by robfish 1 View Post
    X-Factor, eh?
    Personally, I use Zmans with a little S-Factor - so X-Factor must be even better!
    Do you think it's the singing or the dancing that makes the difference?

Sorry...I just couldn't resist!

Yeah ok it's been a long week.

Well i gave it a go but didn't have much luck, then again no luck with bait or anything on the bottom. Just about salvaged the trip with some surface fish and a pair of sharks. Never seen it quite so dead out there.