Thread: Flying Fish theories

Flying Fish theories

G'day fishos!
    On the water yesterday we had dozens of flying fish taking off around us where ever we moved too. Just wondering what theories there are i.e if you see flying fish that means there are mahi near by (for example).

Just a second question while mentioning mahi mahi - we found a good school around a shark detection bouy but could not get any interest from trying cubes of pillies, small 20g slugs soft plastics etc. When its tough to get interest from them what techniques do you folks try?

By the way - hope you all had a great safe Easter and got time on the water with family/friends and good food!
    Cheers,
    Troy

Re: Flying Fish theories

Most reliable method we have found for dollies when they have lockjaw is slow trolling live bait. Usually fish threadline tackle with the bail arm open and hold the rod so the instant a hit is felt you can let them have line while they turn the bait and swallow it.

Flying fish are food for bigger fish, if you don't have any live bait, something that looks like the Flying fish (in size and colour) you saw would be my choice to get the fish interested, but, as mentioned, live bait will sometimes tempt stubborn fish.

I wish I could catch flying fish somehow. They just look so perfect for rigging up as a deadbait...

Quote Originally Posted by phantomphisher View Post
    I wish I could catch flying fish somehow. They just look so perfect for rigging up as a deadbait...
    I saw a lot of flying fish while in a motorised canoe in the Solomon Islands.
    They seemed to like flying alongside the canoe.
    If they flew over the canoe they'd lose their buoyancy and fall in the canoe.

The locals say they're tasty.

Quote Originally Posted by scroman View Post

Just a second question while mentioning mahi mahi - we found a good school around a shark detection bouy but could not get any interest from trying cubes of pillies, small 20g slugs soft plastics etc. When its tough to get interest from them what techniques do you folks try?
    Troy
    Sounds like a popper might work, they seem to be a surface fish.