Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I have your crab pot

I have your crab pot

As my brother was visiting and he wanted a quick flattie fish we went out early this morning and once out of Bells Creek threaded our way through 4 million crab pots, flicking for flatties was almost impossible however we got a couple to settle his nerves. Now many of these pots were in water that is exposed at low tide and in one such area we could see a pot but no float, on closer inspection we could see that the rope had been cut probably by the person who put it there trying to get out.

We recovered the pot and found that it was pretty new but as it didn't have the obligatory persons details we were unable to advise them that we had it, have done this several times in the past with the owners gratitude.

Now I don't need another pot so if you can identify it, you are welcome to have it back.

Re: I have your crab pot

And as stupid as it is technically you are commiting an offence by tampering with someone else's pots..
    Kids who Hunt and Fish, Don't Deal and Steal.

Is it round? If so could be mine.

Took a boat load of 4 out for a fish after lunch today for flatties, lots of pots on the banks but that's normal, terrible fishing though, with 4 fishing our score was 1 small falthead, 2 GT and a small bream, where are the fish or is the water still too warm at 26 degrees...

Quote Originally Posted by Triple View Post
    And as stupid as it is technically you are commiting an offence by tampering with someone else's pots..
    I understand this and always try to return them to the right full owner. Often we will bring in pots that have often been there for quite some time and often in terrible Condition, often they are are a hazard to boating (in shallow waters and my leccie)and especially lures but more important a trap for the sea life they capture. Another mate and I came across one that was causing some angst for over a month, abandoned as the float had been deliberately cut free, one of eight, the spliced loop had been cut, we decided to pull it up and it had 2 sandies in it, they had survived with passing food for this period. We set them free and brought the pot ashore and left it at the ramp. No details on the pot but I do remember the names on the float as there were 8 of them and each one had the float cut free after being there for over a month. I've had my crew at each time video what we were doing and explained why. Where the name tags have been available always notify the owner and unfortunately in a lot of cases un salvageable but still so far they have been appreciative. Where possible I'll let them know why their pot went astray, e.g. to light for conditions, in a channel which would survive if weights were used on the float line, etc . sometimes it is just inexplicable, the 8 I mentioned earlier were just abandoned for an unknown reason, phone calls have gone unanswered, just weird.
    I think the law is reasonable but I have found that if my actions are reasonable they are generally acceptable, but being a little skeptical I also have the back up video evidence of retrieval and disposal.

Quote Originally Posted by Crunchy View Post
    Is it round? If so could be mine.
    Round and ?

Quote Originally Posted by alleycat View Post
    Took a boat load of 4 out for a fish after lunch today for flatties, lots of pots on the banks but that's normal, terrible fishing though, with 4 fishing our score was 1 small falthead, 2 GT and a small bream, where are the fish or is the water still too warm at 26 degrees...
    I don't know, there were few on good Friday but today was a different thing. Also noticed over the last few days the grunter have virtually disappeared.

Quote Originally Posted by Dignity View Post
    Round and ?

4 holes....

mesh was orangyblueyblackybrownie
    9/ 2016-8/2017 crab count
    604 sandies
    7 muddie
    0 rock crab
    0 coral crab

Round and ?
    Oh yes sorry, round and missing ID, il come round and get it in the morning

Quote Originally Posted by shaungonemad View Post
    4 holes....
    One only, next guess

Quote Originally Posted by rosco1974 View Post
    mesh was orangyblueyblackybrownie
    Close, only black

Quote Originally Posted by Crunchy View Post
    Oh yes sorry, round and missing ID, il come round and get it in the morning
    That sounds like it, I'll be off fishing so will leave it next to the shed for you.

One only, next guess

What sort of a crab pot only has one hole in it.

Don't worry I worked it out.