Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Jet skis at boat ramps

Re: Jet skis at boat ramps

Quote Originally Posted by Gon Fishun View Post
    As I grow older I become more and more intolerant of Australians who have forgotten how to give a bloke a go. FFS, the kayaker is a fisherman and supports bait and tackle shops etcetc, probably is a better fisher than most of us and gets bagged out for taking 5mins to load his kayak.

The Australian spirit, sadly, is a dying one.

Thanks for reading cobber.
    i guess Feral's comment about reversing over the Jetskiers is more like that Australian spirit you're talking about.
    Dale

I fish because the little voices in my head tell me to

Does not matter if it is a boater,yakker or jet skier or of you are a Qld or other states driver.
    Some people do not think.
    Others are ignorant or do not care
    Others simply do not know
    You can be held up by all of them sometimes you can offer assistance and it is appreciated and other times you just have to grin and bear it
    Cheers
    Ray

Quote Originally Posted by Shark Poker View Post
    Is that anywhere close to the truth? I have a cartopper that I launch from my 4WD at the boat ramp.
    There are rock walls on both sides of the ramp.
    No. its bullsh!t, ramps in Qld have been funded significantly by councils for a long time, TMR pays half or less of most ramp costs for at least 10 years, the old myth about Rego'd boats and ramps did a death a long time ago.

Saw a sedan with a kayak behind it parked in the middle of the 2 lane ramp at Scarborough. Was midweek so no problem - I used the single lane.
    They were still there 8 or so minutes later when I got under way.
    Dunno...

Seem to have vague recollections of a law along the lines of any vessel being launched at a public launching ramp requiring registration when I was a young tacker - regardless of horsepower etc. It may be one of those obscure laws that has gone by the wayside but would be interesting to see if it still exists somewhere in legislation.

For QLD state owned public boat ramps -
    9 Using boat ramp or landing
    (1) A person must not drive or stand a vehicle on a boat rampother than to launch or retrieve a ship.Maximum penalty—20 penalty units.
    (2) A person launching or retrieving a ship at a boat ramp must doso as quickly as is reasonably possible.Maximum penalty—20 penalty units.
    (3) A person must not obstruct another person’s use of a boatramp or landing.Maximum penalty—20 penalty units.
    (4) A person must not anchor, moor or place a ship in the wateraround a boat ramp or landing if it is likely to obstruct anotherperson’s use of the boat ramp or landing.Maximum penalty—20 penalty units.
    (5) A person must not carry out maintenance or repairs to a shipon a boat ramp.Maximum penalty—20 penalty units.
    (6) A person must not carry out maintenance or repairs to a shipin the water around a boat ramp or landing, unless the personhas a reasonable excuse.Maximum penalty—20 penalty units.
    (7) A person must not take or drive a vehicle on to a boat ramp ifthe mass of the vehicle and its load, if any, together with anytrailer that the vehicle is towing and its load, if any, is morethan—(a) 5t; or(b) if the manager of the boat ramp erects on or near theramp a notice approved by the chief executive anddisplaying a greater mass—the greater mass.Maximum penalty—20 penalty units.
    (8) A person must not take or drive a vehicle on to a landing.Maximum penalty—20 penalty units.
    (9) However, a person does not contravene subsection (8) if—(a) the manager of the landing erects on or near the landinga notice that—
    (i) is approved by the chief executive; and
    (ii) authorises the taking or driving of a vehicle on tothe landing for the purpose mentioned in paragraph(b); and
    (iii) states the maximum mass of the vehicle and itsload, if any, together with any trailer that thevehicle is towing and its load, if any, that may betaken or driven on to the landing; and(b) the vehicle is taken or driven on to the landing only totake goods or passengers to, or pick up goods orpassengers from, a ship moored at the landing.
    (10) A person must not take or drive on to a boat ramp or landing avehicle, other than a vehicle that moves on wheels fitted withpneumatic or rubber tyres.Maximum penalty for subsection
    (10)—20 penalty units

https://www.legislation.qld.gov.au/LEGISLTN/CURRENT/T/TransInfPuMR11.pdf

Their definition of ship -

Meaning of ship

(1)A ship is any kind of boat or other vessel used, or intended to be used, in navigation by water or for any other purpose on water.
    (2) Without limiting subsection (1), a ship includes a boat orother vessel—(a) whatever its size; and(b) however it is propelled or moved; and(c) whether it is on land or in water.
    (3) A ship includes, for example—(a) a barge, lighter or other floating vessel; and(b) a hovercraft or other surface effect craft.
    (4) A ship does not include a vessel declared by regulation not tobe a ship.(5) A regulation may provide that a ship includes an aircraft whenit is on water or is taking off, or landing on, water.
    (6) Except as provided by a regulation under subsection (5), aship does not include an aircraft.
    (7) A reference to a ship includes the ship’s equipment.

(
    https://www.legislation.qld.gov.au/LEGISLTN/CURRENT/T/TranstOpMSA94.pdf)

Going from that all vessels can use a public ramp as long as you follow all the other rules like this -

A person must not obstruct another person’s use of a boatramp or landing.Maximum penalty—20 penalty units
    Kids who Hunt and Fish, Don't Deal and Steal.

Well there you go...I thought a ship was a craft big enough to carry another craft and all else was a boat.
    Anyways I reckon your summation is bang on Triple.

I use to have a jet ski and fished from it.

I was always in and out.

Funny how no one has jumped to their defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Seahorse View Post
    These blokes really need to get their act together at the ramps before something nasty happens.
    Today at clontarf there were about 8 jet skis taking up the whole beach area, just talking, putting on sunscreen, and just talking.

This went on for at least 30 mins. Boats were waiting to go out and come in.

You blokes need to understand, launch your vessel, park ur car then go.

Its not a place to park and socialize.
    I have to agree, (and I ride a jetski), some of the jetski guys I liken to the weekend pushbike set, they all get together for a Sunday ride, and can be a bit inconsiderate when in a pack. 1's and 2's are usually fine, but any more and it's a mess. Boat owners can be just as bad but more from not knowing what they are doing...

And............ it Easter? you ferrets all need to get a grip

do you seriously expect any new boatie or jet skier or kayaker to know remotely what they are doing? if you do please have a beer x 10 and relax.. serious fishing activities will recommence after this message and Easter
    Tangles KFC

There are numpties in every camp, be it boat, jet ski or kayak. Mind you though, one of the biggest advantages I found with owning a yak was being able to launch every where else other than a boat ramp

Ausfish Platinum Member gr hilly's Avatar
    Blog Entries

they seem to move for an old man in a old Land Cruiser and a big tinny..

There was another group down at clontarf this morning.
    4 skis just sitting there waiting for the 5 th to turn up. It was a bird with everything hanging out so they all had to go over, say high, have a perv, then do theor sunscreen thing, put on their gear then the life jacket.
    30 mins they were there this morning. What a pack of wankers. Thats why i go mid week. No damm jet ski riders.

i did see one funny thing, one of them was trying to leave the ramp , reving the guts out off it and it wasnt going. One off the other blokes yelled out, hey u got it in neutral.

It was a classic, even couple of the boaties were laughing at him. Tosser

Greg i came back to clontarf ramp yesterday about 11.30am. 6 jet skis parked on right hand side on beach, all bludging having a chat about their morning. I literally had to pull boat up on the ramp and jump out and leave my missus and kids in the boat.. on the ramp.. while i went n got trailer. They got abused for being in the way of boaties reversing.
    Also had at least 6 of them come within 20mtrs of me fishing in the middle of nowhere off Margate.
    This happens consistently at Clontarf, not just Easter.
    Jet skiers - 90% of them...............pricks !!
    Dad reckons fishing is 10% brains and 95% muscle, the rest is just good luck.

Glad u said 90% Dean.
    I use to be one remember, but i was fishing off mine and did the right thing all the time.

Yeah mate they think its a meet and greet. Well someone should tell them to meet and greet up top.

Maybe i should get onto pne of the jet ski sites andvtell them how to use a boat ramp. Lol