Thread: Braid causing friction?

Braid causing friction?

I've just spooled some braid onto one of the bait runners after fishing more or less exclusively with mono in the past and noticed a strange situation.
    The Braided line seems to be causing a lot of friction, it pulls off pretty slowly and a little jerkily from the reel and makes excessive noise when being wound back on.

Any ideas what might be going on? Too much line, Wound too tight?

Re: Braid causing friction?

Hi, airlock,
    Had the same trouble when I started using braid deep sea. Firstly I replaced the front guides with rollers which worked ok. bit of a hastle with underslung reels, as they don't design roller guides for that. Then I discovered that there is braid ---and there is BRAID. The first was four strand braid which is rough and should be cheap. Braid has progressed to six and eight strand which becomes progressively smoother, and I think finer. Compared to the 4 strand, it feels like silk.
    learning curves can be expensive, but I'm sure you will have success. It is worthwhile remembering that for some types of fishing, good mono is better.
    Cav(J.C.)

The rougher surface of Braid does make more noise than the smooth surface of mono. It will resonate through the guides and through the bail arm roller. Lots of us love the sound, especially when there is a fast moving fish ripping line out over the guides. The more expensive braids offer more wraps and picks of braid which makes them smoother and rounder.
    Dale

I fish because the little voices in my head tell me to

Finns is noisy braid

The other thing is that good quality braid settles down and runs off more smoothly when it has been cast and retrieved over a couple of trips.

But you will just have to get used to the noise it makes going through the guides, as aussiebasser said you will grow to love the scream it makes through the guides as a fish rips line off the reel!
    Note to self: Don't argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience....

As the replies above indicate, braid is definitely 'rougher' than mono! However, as others have also said, there are braids, and there are braids.3 or 4 pic (weave) braids will feel like rope, either through the rod guides, or even your fingers, when pulled through under tension. 8 pic braids are far smoother, thinner, (and yes, more expensive), but given the contact you have with lures, or the low/no stretch capabilities, it's money well spent.
    Having said that, I still use mono for most of my baitfishing, but also use low-stretch monos for this purpose. Braid will certainly improve a reel's capacity - unless you do like the Yanks, and use 60lb braid for freshwater bassin'!
    As an aside, what brand of braid are you using? And is it a true braid - or a fused product? Some fused braids are very, very rough, and make an awful racket across the guides - (think Sufix Performance Fuse).

thanks for the help, it might just be a matter of getting used to the new characteristics and letting it bed in. I'm not sure on the brand but it was from the sale bin at the local tackle store so I'm guessing it'll be on the lower end of quality. I'll give it a few runs out to let it settle in and buy a more premium product next time around.

Quote Originally Posted by airlock View Post
    thanks for the help, it might just be a matter of getting used to the new characteristics and letting it bed in. I'm not sure on the brand but it was from the sale bin at the local tackle store so I'm guessing it'll be on the lower end of quality. I'll give it a few runs out to let it settle in and buy a more premium product next time around.

You may well find it softens up with use - many braids come with a coating that needs to be broken in, and being from a tackle shop, it was probably at least a halfway decent brand anyway, but more than likely, an older 3 or 4 weave.
    Personally, I use Daiwa J Braid and Rovex Kor these days, as the majority of my fishing involves distance casting, so the smoother, the better.

For my lighter work, (up to 10kg) I've started using WFT Gliss - a braid with the handling and performance characteristics of mono, but with the strength and thin diameter of braid. Very, very, impressed so far. There has been a lot of bad press about it, and I would have echoed the sentiments - that is, until I learned to tie a good FG knot!

That WFT gliss are crap soft like plastic, feel like tooth floss and it wears out fast... any splinter anywhere on the line break it apart.. never had an issue with a braid line with splinter... but just a head up used one for about a mth, u do get the extra 20m cast but not worth it

with the braid line.. always friction unlike mono if u handle it badly, a braid can give u clean cuts while mono just burns lol