Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: pizza oven

Re: pizza oven

Thanks for that David I knew you had to light a little fire in them to dry them out and to stop the shell from cracking.
    I did not know you had to fire it about seven times.
    One of the books I have says to start cooking when you have finished building.
    I will heed your advice and fire it seven times. Thanks again.

bazza

t9.jpg t8.jpg I had no idea how to install the chimney so I made this bracket up and it also locks the arches together and into the dome.

Talking Re: pizza oven

keystone.jpg The "keystone" finally going in. That is the last of the bricks for the dome and locks all the bricks in place

t1.jpg Applying the mortar cap over the dome. Just ran short of mortar on this side.
    t3.jpg Mortar cap complete on other side.

Next up will be bricks around the sides to form insulation cavity.

fb1.jpgfb2.jpg Went overboard on the insulation. I was going to brick up the dome and fill it with perlite but I found a business that sold the fire blanket at a reasonable price so went that way instead. Packed the perlite into the corner cavities of the walls.

plastic 1.jpg 2 layers of black plastic on top of the fire blanket to stop any moisture that enters reaching the dome.

Next step will be final layer over the dome !!

Thought it was going to be a pizza oven, now I realise you are building a monument! LOL

The 747's have been told to keep out of the region.

I did mine with a large beach ball and cement rendered over the top. You can use as much reo as you like but it will still crack unless you use pearlite in the render. You will need fire bricks in the bottom i used normal 2" clay pavers and it got so hot that the heat cracked the 4" reinforced concrete slab table top i made to build it on.
    The Pizza is great that smokey flavour carn't be beaten.

dome done 1.jpg Got the final cap on the dome. Still plenty of tiling and rendering to do. Next stage is lighting the fire to completely dry out the bricks and mortar.

lighting of the fire.jpg starting the first fire

fire in the hole.jpg fire in the hole

What does the front closer look like? Is it fitted with an adjustable vent and a sight glass?

The project looks great by the way, well done.

I am waiting for a temperature gauge to arrive by post to be fitted to door. Will post photo when it is finished.

bazza