Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: pizza oven

Re: pizza oven

arch 2.jpg Front arch is chimney arch and back one is oven arch

Really starting to take shape now hey

Yes mate I put a few rods through the arch bricks to hold them together. They are not perfect but with some wood smoke on them they will look alright.
    Now I have to work out how to put the chimney together. Try and put a brick box on top of the arch then marry it into a round steel base.

bazza

looking good Bazza

Thanks Lee I think the worst part is behind us. Hopefully the dome will not give us too much trouble. You place the half bricks with a tool called a "trammel" it is screwed to the centre of the floor and half bricks are placed in it and put into position. As the dome gets higher the trammel brings the rows into the centre of the dome.
    The "trammel" can be seen in one of the photos I made this one from scrap .

bazza

arch jesus.jpg Sweet Jesus we are starting the dome!

jesus 3.jpg Got the bottom row done today

Bazza, if ever you are making arches again, get some styrene cut in the shape of your arch, and lay the bricks on the styrene as form work. When finished, and all is dry, slide out the styrene. You can use it over and over again. works great.
    david

Thanks David at the time I could not find any thing to draw the right shape so I layed the bricks down with rods through the holes and put the mortar in them.
    That way they are safe to move around. I did not think of styrene it would have worked well.

bazza

Bazza,
    I have made many many arches this way. I used to get the styrene cut at a place in Springwood. You can do the pointing as well while the arch support is in place.
    Still have one under the house.
    David

Bazza your doing a great job and my hat goes of to you for starting from scratch. I built mine last year but I cheated and bought a pre made kit from Melbourne fire brick company.. Still have to go through the processes but had everything delivered and easy to follow plans.. Good luck your looks great and I'm sure that's first pizza will be delicious and well earned..

outside dome.jpg Got a few more rows done today. Will have to put a sand cap underneath to finish the dome.

feet.jpg Got Wifey in to oven but wasn't quick enough to light it

Quote Originally Posted by bannana View Post
    Bazza your doing a great job and my hat goes of to you for starting from scratch. I built mine last year but I cheated and bought a pre made kit from Melbourne fire brick company.. Still have to go through the processes but had everything delivered and easy to follow plans.. Good luck your looks great and I'm sure that's first pizza will be delicious and well earned..
    Thanks mate, this is a family project and over the last few days we have had people with bleeding finger tips from pushing mortar into back of bricks. It would be a very big job for one person to take on. I did not consider a kit project as I have the time to tackle it myself. I know if I had work commitments and little kids I would not have taken it on.

Bazza. That is a link on how to cure your oven before use.
    It takes a couple of days. Hope that helps , as they can cause issues if not cured properly.
    David.