Thread: Sandy cape. Camping with a Boat

Sandy cape. Camping with a Boat

Morning all.

We are in the process of planning a trip to Sandy Cape/Breaksea.

Looking at launching from Urangan and camping around the lighthouse area. We are in a 21.5 foot boat and will be carrying extra fuel tanks on board, probably in jerry's, along with eskys etc. That is the reasoning for the camp, to lighten the boat once we are there. We will probably have a couple of boats. Looking at a three day trip.

Couple of questions.

Firstly, has anyone camped north of Rooney's and left the boat anchored and unattended overnight, if so, any tips? Mainly currents and tidal flow concerns. We are looking at being there on a quarter moon to lesson the run.

Can we anchor close to shore or do we need to anchor offshore a bit?

Are there any recommended camping areas for the above?

Trying to work out whether to drive a car up with extra fuel and eskys to set up camp. I understand this is a fairly personal one but thought someone may have gone through the pros and cons.

We have been driving Fraser for over thirty years and know the island quite well. Have only been to the Cape a couple of times. We know you cant drive South of the lighthouse and have never been to Rooney's. We have never boated across to the island from the mainland, but have towed boats to Waddy.

Any advice welcome.

Thanks

Jim

Re: Sandy cape. Camping with a Boat

Wathumba creek would be ideal for this..

We used to take everything up via boat, but you could have a car meet you on the eastern side of Wathumba with supplies I guess..

The best anchorage (deep channel) and camp ground is on the western side though (opposite there)..

I guess the only downside would be access to and from the creek at certain stages of the tide, cant help you with that unfortunately as it has been years since I have been up there!

Maybe someone else could chime in with that info for you if they have done this trip recently..

Hi Jim

As Watto says Wathumba sound ideal, excepting low tide egress / access.

I am up there a lot these days as I leave my boat up there now.

If it suits and times match I would be happy to help you ferry your gear to your chosen camping spot. I can fit a bit of gear onboard and I am always keen for a run up to Rooneys

Thanks guys.
    I am looking at fishing outside to the shelf, so was hoping to be closer to the cape. Obviously the closer to the cape we camp, the shorter the run.

What I am trying to work out, is if it is reasonable to think we could camp north of Rooney's with a boat at anchor.

I am aware that this is all relative to wind direction.

Thanks

Jim

Hi Jim,
    we fished breaksea last year for the first time and anchored one night, just north of Rooneys and the second night further south. There was a lot of current on the Northside and still some surge from the bar, but it was OK in the good conditions we had. It was much more comfortable on the Southside though.
    good luck with your trip!
    fruit salad is the new Bacon

3 days wouldn't you just go out and stay out? It all sounds a bit complicated for a 2 night run. Otherwise if you are taking a vehicle anyway just tow to Waddy and your logistics of long runs and fuel instantly reduce by a whole lot.
    nil carborundum illegitimi

Quote Originally Posted by FisHard View Post
    Hi Jim,
    we fished breaksea last year for the first time and anchored one night, just north of Rooneys and the second night further south. There was a lot of current on the Northside and still some surge from the bar, but it was OK in the good conditions we had. It was much more comfortable on the Southside though.
    good luck with your trip!
    You anchored??

I joined "The Rebel Alliance"

Quote Originally Posted by The Silver Unicorn View Post
    You anchored??

I joined "The Rebel Alliance"
    i knew that was coming!! Lol (private joke)
    fruit salad is the new Bacon

Thanks Fishard, that's what I was wanting to know.

GBC. We could end up with 4 on our boat, so not really room for all to sleep, however, we could make it work I guess. We weren't going to drive a car up. Someone suggested it in the planning and I thought I would put it out there for comment.

We have towed to waddy numerous times, but weather can mean the boat stays on the trailer. If we get a SE blow up the Cape, we still have fishing options inside.

Thanks

Jim