Thread: callum shoal off whitsundays, anyone fished it ?

callum shoal off whitsundays, anyone fished it ?

Hey guys
    Ill be in Airlie soon and will be scooting out to the reef for a fish hopefully (pending weather). il be heading out to the border island/ Deloraine island area then onto reef, but I came across a awesome looking shoal called callum shoal.in 50m of water and goes up to about 10m. in the middle of nowhere maybe 10 km short of the reef. Has anyone fished it and did you have some luck ?

Re: callum shoal off whitsundays, anyone fished it ?

Looks good on the chart - I imagine it would be well know to the locals

A mate of mine that lives in Mackay has fished it, does pretty well there on the reefie's and GT's etc..

yeah I assume the locals would hit it a fair bit. I also live in mackay il hopefully be giving it a crack soon. fingers crossed for good weather.

Leaper shoal isn't bad fishing either

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Callum shoal (the oval) fishes well at times but is a long haul from Airlie, about 48nm from memory (that's about 87km for those that talk in funny language!) and is a lot further than 10kms from the reef! Hook reef is 36nm and once you're there you can fish a lot of country up to line reef. Have caught spaniards and sailfish at Callum .

thanks mate, yeah I know its a long haul but hopefully weather permits and I get to have a good look around up there. I'm keen to try the shoals and also get to the reef. fingers and toes crossed for a good forecast.

Have often stopped at the oval and had a fish on the way East... Caught a few macs but found floatlining for trout and good lippers the most productive!

Cheers

jim