Thread: Thru hull transducer plate

Thru hull transducer plate

Hi everyone
    been looking at different transducer options lately, I've got a lowrance hds7 I'm quite happy with, reads ok on the plane but it could definitely be better, slow moving its quite clear, and that's with the standard transducer it came with.

I was pretty set on the p66 transom mount until I saw whitemans dramas with a quintrex hull and this transducer, although that is solved now. I'm not that keen on a Large hole for a thru hull either, but then I saw this setup, will this be beneficial over the transom mount? I was thinking if I had it shaped to follow the hull and strakes it would have clean water on it at all times?

Cheers, Corey
    Attached Images Attached Images

Ausfish Platinum Member

Re: Thru hull transducer plate

That is basically just a transom mount, and you would have to get the angle AND height exactly right first time as the whole thing is welded and hence non-adjustable without cutting and re-welding? That boat had better not have an extruded centre keel or it would never be in clear water.

Fair points, I'll just got with airmar I think, cheers

I've seen a number of such brackets on plate boats, but the ones i have seen have not been located like the one in the earlier pic - they have been put in more traditional transducer locations, with the bottom plate carefully located exactly flush with and in line the hull bottom - like a continuation of the hull itself. They have all worked exceptionally well according to the owners.
    Note to self: Don't argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience....

As moonlighted has said I seen one on a sailfish and it was in the same position as a standard tranny just they
    had a plate that had a 1kw 20 degree threw hull mounted in it the owner said it was the best way to put a through hull in for the best results
    happy days ahead summer is coming

That is my boat & that ducer works up 30 knots on a flat track. But the hull has a tapered planing plank about 1M long & the mounting plate is an extension of the hull profile. I was not cutting holes for a through hull ducer in the bottom of a new boat. What is not visible is a 1Kw TM260 on a slide mount on the starboard side. The big boy goes down when we are looking seriously.
    ROLL TIDE, ROLL.................

Regards,
    Peter

Wouldn't have an underneath shot would you peter?? I'd be interested to see the hull on your boat

Quote Originally Posted by Cobbo1 View Post
    Wouldn't have an underneath shot would you peter?? I'd be interested to see the hull on your boat
    If you can PM me a smartphone ## or an email addy I will see what I can do tomorrow.
    ROLL TIDE, ROLL.................

Regards,
    Peter