Thread: Mackerel Trolling. What's ya spread ?

Question Mackerel Trolling. What's ya spread ?

Going to concentrate a bit more on Spanish this year at 1770.

I will be using dead baits and live baits. Not in combo... ><>

I will also be running some lateral rod holders each side to allow me to run 3 lines.

Any folks out there want to put up a drawing of your favorite 3 rig spread. Need to know distances ?

Cheers LP
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

Re: Mackerel Trolling. What's ya spread ?

So you didn't pay much attention when I took you out and we got our bag of Spanish with a 3 rod spread? Bad student!

Hey Phil

i generally run two big baits, either slimies of tailor off my lateral holders quite long, with a pillie under a pink squid just behind the prop wash in the middle. I rubber band the middle line to make it tow flat.

Get a downrigger. Doesn't need to be anything flash. Can save the day if they don't want to play on the surface. We troll live baits in a 4 rod spread. Two on riggers on the surface probably 30 - 40 metres back and two in the middle - one on the top a long way back and one on the rigger with a setback of 10 - 20 metres.

Two rods only with 2 pob. A big bait rigged to swim deeper and a saury swimming above. Both around 50m back. 2 live mack or striped tuna are ideal if they are around though. Ben

I always try to run 4 or 5 even without outriggers. Using the rod riggers (relax) and a suction cap line clip to the centre of the boat for the centre/shotgun line works fine as long as you don't turn too tight.

I like to run at least 2x7-8m Deep Diving Hard bodies in the spread until I begin getting strikes. If they swim up past them to the surface or dead baits Ill get rid of them.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.