Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dash Cam info

Dash Cam info

OK, people, I have purchased a Dash Cam. basics are

G50 Full HD. 1080P 5.0MP 170* CMOS G-sensor

I understand when it arrives it will have instructions.

My question is to the people that have a Dash Cam and know how to operate it.

I also understand you turn it on, or auto on. It records stuff.

So, I believe it records video on an SD card ? That card can be placed into my Laptop or PC ?

What software is needed to view the video and what software is needed to edit said video ?

Please do not " suggest " things, as all I want to know is what YOU use.... too many times with tech things, I get suggestions etc and they don't work. What actually works ?

cheers LP
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

Re: Dash Cam info

Mine saves in a simple .avi file so you don't need any extra software to view it. I have it set to record for 5 minutes at a time and have a 32gb card in it. When it runs out of card it overwrites the first file and keeps going. The 32gb card recorded from at least Port Macquarie to Brisbane. Mine automatically turns on and off when you turn off the vehicle.
    Dale

I fish because the little voices in my head tell me to

I suggest (Sorry Phil) you wait until you have it so you can check and see what file format yours uses (I don't know but they may be different). The manufacturer may have recommendations in their user literature

After my recent accident where the other party tried to blame me I decided to by a dashcam. I got the blackvue one that has the rear cam also. I have no idea how it works, but I will also accept suggestions!

Jesus Andy, if you don't know how it works, it must be tricky......

If it's not plug n play it's far too technical.

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    Jesus Andy, if you don't know how it works, it must be tricky......

Not saying I wont figure it out!!

Its still in the post, have not seen it yet.

OH, I see.

Mine turned up today. Pretty straight forward to set up. It talks to you.

Problem 1. It plugs into the cig lighter plug, and the front cig lighter plug on the navara is on all the time, so cam records all the time. I have to wire it to the cig lighter plug in the centre console. I have a CB to install, so its about time I pulled my finger out and did that. I will make a weekend of it and wire up the dash cam too.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRealAndy View Post
    Mine turned up today. Pretty straight forward to set up. It talks to you.

Problem 1. It plugs into the cig lighter plug, and the front cig lighter plug on the navara is on all the time, so cam records all the time. I have to wire it to the cig lighter plug in the centre console. I have a CB to install, so its about time I pulled my finger out and did that. I will make a weekend of it and wire up the dash cam too.
    Not necessarily a bad thing Andy provided you don't leave the car sit long enough to flatten the battery. Gives a bit of coverage if some grub does a bump and run and doesn't leave details. Just have to make sure the memory card is big enough to record for the duration of the time the vehicle will be parked wherever you leave it

Quote Originally Posted by scottar View Post
    Not necessarily a bad thing Andy provided you don't leave the car sit long enough to flatten the battery. Gives a bit of coverage if some grub does a bump and run and doesn't leave details. Just have to make sure the memory card is big enough to record for the duration of the time the vehicle will be parked wherever you leave it
    It actually has a motion sensor and backup power, and will record any bumps whilst turned off.

Mine is plugged into the cig lighter too. Just too lazy to wire into fuse box. Mine also has a battery inbuilt which last for about half an hr. Mine has WIFI and an SD card. I can wifi all the controls and download video clips on my iphone. The sd card is good for nearly two weeks for me.

It will most likely record to a micro SD card, make sure you use the dash cam to format it. Sandisk are pretty good and reliable; either 32gb or 64gb anything smaller and you will run out of space to quickly.

Set it to 3 or 5 minutes record time; so every 3 minutes it will save and start a new video file. auto on/auto off is the best, no forgetting to turn it on or off. Either 1280x720 or 1920x1080 resolution nothing lower.

Unless you want to deal with clearing the memory every time it gets full set it to overwrite (loop recording) just be careful not to overwrite any instances you may want to keep. You can plug the camera in via USB cable, no need to fiddle around with SD/microSD card adapters or risk losing the microSD card. I work with someone that keeps copies of the videos even if nothing happens on his way to and from work, you end up filling hard drives with stuff you will never look at.

It will usually save as an avi file format the best programs to view these are either VLC or Media Player classic; if one doesn't work the other the other most certainly will. For editing you could use Windows Movie Maker; a lot of youtubers use windows movie maker (blue transition with white text).

that sounds like a great one, what brand is that
    what a sad sad AB

Ok, so still have not installed mine properly, but turns out it goes to sleep when left plugged in all the time. There is a white light that flashes on the front 24/7 to let you know its doing its thing. When I get in the car and start driving, the GPS must detect you are moving, then it talks to me and says something like 'Parking Mode disabled'.

BTW, the one I have is a BlackVue 650 2 channel version. Was not cheap, but I researched it and that is what came up on top. Time will tell if it lives up to its reputation

I bought mine here: http://www.autoblackbox.com.au/black...e-dr650gw-2ch/ which the company suggest is the Aussie distributor. I think you can get it a bit cheaper from Aussie Dash Cams though. FWIW, My dealings with autoblackbox were good though. I had an old phone number and some address details wrong, so they had to chase me up to confirm all was good first!