Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best Braid for Bream on soft plastics - Sedona 1000 with Team Daiwa 1-3kg, 1-5 gram

Re: Best Braid for Bream on soft plastics - Sedona 1000 with Team Daiwa 1-3kg, 1-5 gr

Thanks mate. Mine is 2.8 not 2.4....typo. But still a short Yak compared to yours!

Keen to get started. I used to bait fish many moons ago with 4lb Platypus Test near oster leases at the Pin and used to catch some stonker bream of unweighted/lightly weighted prawns etc. I cant wait to get stuck in with the right gear for ultra light placcy fishing. I really enjoy snapper and flattie fishing on plastics.

Cheers
    Boat: Seafarer Vagabond
    Live: Great South East....love Moreton Bay fishing

Blog Entries

Re: Best Braid for Bream on soft plastics - Sedona 1000 with Team Daiwa 1-3kg, 1-5 gr

Quote Originally Posted by ozscott View Post
    Thanks mate. Mine is 2.8 not 2.4....typo. But still a short Yak compared to yours!

Keen to get started. I used to bait fish many moons ago with 4lb Platypus Test near oster leases at the Pin and used to catch some stonker bream of unweighted/lightly weighted prawns etc. I cant wait to get stuck in with the right gear for ultra light placcy fishing. I really enjoy snapper and flattie fishing on plastics.

Cheers

Look me up if you are up caloundra way with the yak mate

thanks mate. Will do. Sounds like a good place to take the yak.

Just opened the Sedona 1000. I have an FI Stradic 2500 and in terms of feel there isnt much in it, the little Sedona is a great little bit of kit.

Cheers

I have had a lot of success with tying braid to FC leader using my version of an imporved Albright where I do a loop with the FC and then start widing the braid from the looped end tightly one way for 10-15 turns heading towards the open end of the FC, then wind the braid back up the thing towards the loop end of the FC and feed the braid back through the little bit of FC loop left. I then wetten and pull tights and then do a single hitch on the FC tail and the braid tail and have never had a failure. Its a very small knot too so goes through guides eyes well.

I can try that on the Gliss, but I have read that some people have trouble with connection knots breaking well under the Gliss poundage or otherwise they slip. I have seen people do the Albright special and it slips apparently, but then again I havent seen anyone test the knot that I do.

Any recommendations for knots from those using the Gliss?

Many thanks
    Cheers
    Hi again. The knot you're using sounds a lot like a slim beauty. Great knot...but NOT with Gliss! Had way too many break inside the actual knot, even though I'd used the knot for all my other braids. May be something to do with the small diameter of Gliss? Or it's mono-like construction?

Anyway, I persevered with the fg knot, and now that I've got it down pat, any breaks I experience, I experience in the leader - away from the knot! So I know it works.

Thanks mate. Its a bit different to a slim beauty but your are right its quite similiar. Did you ever try the modified slim beauty with the extra loop or doing the modified SB with a dual layer of braid being fed through the figure of 8?

Cheers

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

This vid makes the FG look easy enough. Not sure how easy it would be in the yak but I suppose i could rig up on land with the FG and if needed be in the yak i could revert to a modded albright special as an easy go to.

Cheers

Blog Entries

This vid makes the FG look easy enough. Not sure how easy it would be in the yak but I suppose i could rig up on land with the FG and if needed be in the yak i could revert to a modded albright special as an easy go to.

Cheers

I retie my leaders each time before I go out so rarely have to retie on the yak...... but I have on occasion. Once you get the hang of it, its relatively easy to tie on a yak. It's all about keeping the right amount of tension on the lines.

Thanks mate. Its a bit different to a slim beauty but your are right its quite similiar. Did you ever try the modified slim beauty with the extra loop or doing the modified SB with a dual layer of braid being fed through the figure of 8?

Cheers

Yes...I've used both, (as well as what seems about a hundred other knots), with Gliss, but was unhappy with all for one reason or another. As mentioned earlier, I think it's something to do with Gliss' construction. Information on O/S sites first made me wary of it, but decided to try it anyway, as I was striving to max my casting distances. I'm glad I did - my casting distances have improved dramatically - with both lighter weights, and especially with slightly heavier heads. The gliss appears to fly off the spool! Silerntly, too. Still finding that hard to come to terms with!
    Like Funchy, I prepare my spools, (all of my reels have a spare), with new leaders before I hit the water, and very rarely need to retie - but am able to do so, providing the fishing gods are lenient with me. Failing that, I sometimes have to resort to an albright when out on the water. Don't know if I'd like to try an FG in low light, or no light!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by robfish 1 View Post
    Don't know if I'd like to try an FG in low light, or no light!
    X 2 brutha!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Funchy View Post
    X 2 brutha!!!
    Ha ha! Yeah - it wasn't until about the 20th attempt, sitting at a table, with copious amounts of F!@#'s and S#$%'s thrown in, that I got the hang of them!
    Having false teeth means I'm unable to grip the braid, so I use a heavier pair of artery forceps to add tension. They now go everywhere I do!

2015-05-31 17.41.57.jpg2015-05-31 17.36.46.jpg

Made up this out of polycarb. Works a treat in the boat.

Hmmm. I reckon even I could knock up one of those. Small enough to fit into my bumbag when landbased, too. Might just have to give it a try.
    Thanks mate - love your work!