Thread: Lowrance Elite 4 Chirp GPS problem

Lowrance Elite 4 Chirp GPS problem

Hi All,
    I purchased this unit late last year, took it out for the first time from Cabbage Tree Point ramp by Jacobs Well and all is working fine, sounder working, GPS working - showing trail and speed etc. Second time out at Victoria Point and sounder is working but GPS is saying I am just off the ramp at Cabbage Tree Point and there is a flashing ? mark over the cursor/boat mark on the screen and the speed is flashing 0.0. After many attempts to fix this I took it back to the retailer who did a system reset and was told all is now good. I plugged the unit in with my boat in the back yard to make sure all is ok before my next trip and all looked ok . The cursor was showing a location at Jumpinipin which I thought OK, they (the retailer) were probably checking things were OK, but when I pushed the return to vessel icon the GPS tells me I am in America, with the same flashing ? mark and speed, I have the correct Navionics card inserted so I don't understand what the problem is. Any suggestions before I take it back to the retailer for an exchange unit? Thanks.

Cheers,
    Paul

Ausfish Platinum Member

Re: Lowrance Elite 4 Chirp GPS problem

You wouldn't be trying to run a UHF radio, by any chance? The frequency on these is death to GPS,particularly with an internal antenna. I had the same trouble with a HDI-7 Elite. Took me a week of constant trouble--mostly no fixes, or intermittent and bad, before I realised what the problem was.Full-time fishing in a remote area at the time. Another , older GPS mounted alongside it fared a bit better, but it had a remote aerial.

It has been reset so the location showing will probably be the factory where it was made and tested before shipping out.
    Turn it on and walk away for half hour and it should be ok after that.
    Depending on the sattellites above at the time, it can take a little while to find you and get a new fix.

Take a look through your manual. Somewhere in there (at least there usually is, never used this particular model) will be a reference to a satellite status page that will show you what satellites the unit is tracking and the received signal strengths. The flashing simply means that the unit does not have a valid GPS fix. Did your retailer take the thing outside to make sure it got a fix before he declared it to be OK ?

You can also get free phone apps for testing.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hey mate,
    No UHF radio, just the combo and light.
    Paul

Aussie123, I tried the leave it on and come back in 1/2 hr, 1 hr etc, still no change. Scottar, the unit has the satellite tracking and GPS status included and this shows no satellites being tracked. Fed, thanks for that, I will certainly look for that app. I will be taking the unit back to get this sorted.

Cheers all
    Paul

Ok, quick update. Returned the unit to the retailer, explained everything, they plugged the unit on and low and behold, we are in America! Any way, long story short, the unit is being replaced so I will be able to get out again soon. If this damn wind ever drops that is.

Cheers, Paul