Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Amm 7.8

Amm 7.8

Well I have committed to a new 7.8 AMM to start building in a month or so. Very excited.

Will do a build thread if anyone is interested.

In the mean time if anyone is looking for a new boat, my 685 Explorer Hardtop with a princely total of 31 hours is on the market. Be sad to see the old girl go but I need a bit bigger boat. Thanks to Dave (Blackened) she is looking schmick

Re: Amm 7.8

Nice boat

I would like to see the build of the new one, sure that most would

Yeah bring on the build thread. Cant't wait. Just out of interest, why the change from glass to plate?

yes yes yes...build thread please!

Walked all over the 7800 AMM had as their demo boat last year. Fantastic machine albeit a little heavy. I think in came in at 3800kgs...with twin 200 yams, 750L fuel, 5 batteries, yam generator, solar, enclosed head with shower, 150L water.......the list went on.

Boatsales wrote an article suggesting it could be the "best plate aluminium boat ever built"
    "Pimp A Shrimp" 7.0m Offshore Marine Master Jaycat. 2 x 175 Zuks

I have a 7.4 n love it

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Great stuff, will do a build thread then. Little way off but I think will be worth it.

Barton's 7.8 demo was very nice, a touch too heavy and tall for me though.

On the change from glass to ally, I like both, have an 18 foot SC I take up the cape already, I like that it is a fair bit more robust cosmetically which is more important with the small change of requirements with this boat, also I needed to go bigger and no glass boats I liked in that size....

I am looking forward to the build, sorting electronics now and should be right roll come end of April when it is due to kick off.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Hey Kondo you aren't Chris's mate who lives at Bracken Ridge and he is a landscaper?

G'day Goona,

Yeah that would be me, top bloke Kris.

Quote Originally Posted by Kondo 1 View Post
    G'day Goona,

Yeah that would be me, top bloke Kris.

Small World. He was just telling me about you old boat and buying the new AMM last week. Sounds like a great rig old one and new one. Look forward to seeing the new AMM coming together

Small change of plan 😂 changed it to a centre console, albeit a fairly custom one.

Only problem is that I cannot make a decision on engines, literally 50/50.

I was originally looking at the 175TG Suzuki, but may look at 200hp engines which I have narrowed too the F200 Yamaha and the DF200AP Suzuki.

I'll be honest, I usually wouldn't have considered Suzuki's, not because I have an issue with them, just that I have always had Yamaha's and I have been lucky that every engine I have had the need for has been one of their better motors and they have suited my application. I think now I have had about 11 or 12 yamaha's now and have yet to make a warranty claim or have an issue. Probably not Robinson Crusoe and I am sure many other owners of other brands can attest to the same thing, however I have good dealer support and have stuck with what I know and been well served as a result to date.

But originally with this boat, I was looking at 175's, and well the the new F175 does not come with digital shift, and that was a deal breaker for me. So I started looking a bit wider and basically settled on the DF175TG for a number of reasons, through the process I probably educated myself better and became comfortable with my choice.

Having never owned a Suzuki, nor driven a boat with one one (aside from a 1980's vintage 4hp 2 stroke that kept me busy in my early teens) I have had to rely on reading marketing material and the odd test infomercial 😜.

In any case - it is down to the F200 vs the DF200AP potentially, and I am dead set 50:50, certainly all the advice I have received has also reflected a similar standpoint. I literally can't separate the 2, warranty is similar - Yamaha 4 years comprehensive, Suzuki 5 years, but reducing after 3. Dealer support the Yamaha leads as I have a great relationship with my dealer, I fish the cape yearly around Weipa also and I believe there is fair dealer support for Yamaha locally - no idea on Suzuki. Displacement is almost identical, selective rotation on the Suzuki is nice but I don't mind carrying 2 props and being somewhat new tech is there a propensity for failures?? I mean I never usually buy the "A" model of anything usually waiting for gremlins to work their way out... And the Shift Dampening on the Yamaha is nice. The timing chain v belt on the Yamaha gives the Suzuki a tick, but never heard of a belt letting go either...

Suzuki "Sounds" a little more technically advanced with lean burn and offset shaft etc, however Performance reports indicate fuel burn is almost identical. Probably a tick to Suzuki as I am of the understanding that you can run a bigger prop with the gearbox ratios on the Suzuki. I have no real preference on either control boxes or gauges from either manufacturer, maybe a very slight advantage to Suzuki with the GMI 20 gauges, though I can link the Yamaha too through the Furuno TZ to give the same info.

I probably like the flushing arrangement slightly more on the Suzi, but I do like the Yamaha supplied engine support that Suzuki do not have avail. Colour of the Yamaha maybe slightly ahead...

Performance wise I can't really compare, heard the F200 has plenty of pick up and great mid range, no doubt the Suzuki would be much the same and this is probably where it is at - has anyone run both on a similar hull and compared.

On paper I probably have the Suzuki very very slightly ahead - but weighing on my mind somewhat is my dealer support and the run I have had with Yamaha.

Really just looking for anyone with real world experience of both motors to offer their opinion.

I realise it isn't an overly critical decision, and not something that is weighing heavily on my mind. It just appears that both options are particularly good and probably will have me satisfied either way, and as a result I am dead set 50:50 😜

Call your local service agents for both and ask for a breakdown of service costs over the next 5 years of you typical use.

make your decision as much on how helpful they are with your equiry as the actual end coat.

Kondo, if you don't mind spending some time on the puter translating the important bits (from French to English), this might be very interesting.

I planned to, but have not got round to it yet!

Current 200hp shootout, 2's & 4's, 4cyl and V6, and the yammy doesn't fare too well when the scores are added up. Being a yammy man myself, it would be nice to be able to read French and find out why...

http://dl.free.fr/kRS9PA58N

Cheers
    Brendon

Hi kondo

I have been fortunate to drive a pair of the new Suzuki df200apx 4cyl and have driven a single 200 yam. Both good engines by far however I rate the Suzuki above Yamaha because:

Quieter
    You can feel more torque out of the hole
    Smoother controls
    Rediculas fuel economy (8m Platey- 1litre per km @4500rpm combined)
    Bigger prop diameter
    Selective rotation gear box
    Good tap flushing system
    Cheaper to buy

Best parts about the Yamaha:
    Better gauges
    Cowl styling looks better (my opinion)

both brands are good, it is a hard one but in my opinion Suzuki win on this one.

Unless you can drive identical rigs with the two engines you won't get a decent direct comparison. Start a pros and cons list, listen to all the opinions, flip a coin and then go with your gut is as good a method as any. If you spend long enough asking around you will run into people who either love or hate either engine for whatever reason or whatever story. Given what they are, I suspect they will be within the proverbial flysh*t of each other. Look at the deal if money is a concern, look at your preferred service guy in your area unless you want to be towing it across town to get services done (if that is of any concern). Make yourself a specific wish list and see which one is the closest fit for YOU.