Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Amm 7.8

Re: Amm 7.8

Go with the support you have had with the dealer, thats the number 1

The engines will be so close together that nothing else matters apart from the support.

I'm running twin 175 lean burn digital suzukis and they are unbelievable on fuel, im using 0.9l a km combined at 23 knots and 1l a km at 30 knots. Top speed is 44knots.

Image1464245962.624616.jpg

The Timing chain on the Suzuki has a service life??? It still has to be changed like the Yamy cam belt.. around 1000hrs
    Garry

Retired Honda Master Tech

Gary the timing chain on a suzuki is maintenance free, it lasts the lifetime of the motor.

Why Does John E want them changed at 1000hrs?
    Garry

Not sure mate, there an oil bathed chain that requires no maintenance.

I have never seen the timing chain on a Suzi mentioned in the maintenance as needing replacement.
    Major job if it did as it would need the power head removing I believe.
    The Lean Burn is not really "new technology", pretty sure it is merely an oxygen sensor in the exhaust like every car has had for years?

Quote Originally Posted by Luke G View Post
    Gary the timing chain on a suzuki is maintenance free, it lasts the lifetime of the motor.
    I think you will find the maintenance FREE part is in relation to it having a chain tensioner which automatically maintains the tension. The chain is still a wearing part.
    Garry

Ausfish Bronze Member Red October's Avatar

The workshop manual I have with my 175 Suzuki clarifies the above points. It states that the "balancer chain" that is separate from the timing chain in these variable valve timing engines requires replacement at 1600 hours. Obviously quiet a big job and if you have gone to the trouble of getting this far I would be also be doing the timing chain and tensioners.

ok so slightly OT but I think the new merc four 3.0 and 2.1 L have celf adjusting valve train and timing chanin and are maintenance free for life of engine. Anyone know if this is correct?
    was going to suggest two 3.0L 150 hp merc fours probably also a good option on rig.

Quote Originally Posted by myusernam View Post
    ok so slightly OT but I think the new merc four 3.0 and 2.1 L have celf adjusting valve train and timing chanin and are maintenance free for life of engine. Anyone know if this is correct?
    was going to suggest two 3.0L 150 hp merc fours probably also a good option on rig.
    Its a Moving mechanical part which is subject to wear. The above statement really depends on what mercury or any manufacturer deems the life of an engine?

The chain will wear and the tensioner will adjust it keeping the valve timing correct until the chain wear is beyond the capability of the tensioner.
    Garry

Been a while since I updated this thread and the build has progressed quite a way.

In the end I went Suzuki, thought I would try something different and I had a good long chat with the Warranty and Service man from Haines/Suzuki. He was a really nice guy and gave me a fair bit of comfort that they would be onside in the event of a warranty issue. Keep hearing about amazing fuel burn figures from the Suzuki's so i guess we will find out soon. Don't think a pair 200's will be overly stressed on a 7m rig.

A few pics below - the guys have been absolutely unreal to deal with, and there are some cool ideas that will be revealed a little later.

I ended up painting the boat satin black and metallic silver with some trepidation, but now the paint finished I am absolutely stoked with the result, it takes some seriously good prep work to carry black and I am happy to say it is flawless and looks unreal IMO.

Some photos below - I am a pretty lazy photographer so they aren't great.

003.jpg 005.jpg006.jpg007.jpg009.jpg

Saw this thing the other week while i was in there that boat is going to look massive with 35inch tires on the trailer!!!!!
    560c Bar Crusher "Overtime"

You will love it. I have the 7800 tournament and it is awesome. The only thing I would say about the 175 suzukis is they are bloody noisy when they are on song. Mate has twin 225 Hondas and you can barely hear them. Still great motors though, just loud.

Quote Originally Posted by james1 View Post
    You will love it. I have the 7800 tournament and it is awesome. The only thing I would say about the 175 suzukis is they are bloody noisy when they are on song. Mate has twin 225 Hondas and you can barely hear them. Still great motors though, just loud.
    Thanks mate, I had heard the 175's and 150's were a bit louder, but that in the 200AP it has been addressed with acoustic treatment on the intake side.

Could be rubbish, I guess I will find out soon 👍

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD