Thread: Airmar p66 choice

Airmar p66 choice

I've got a lowrance HDS7 I'm looking at upgrading to an airmar p66 transom mount (suggestions?) but I'm not sure whether the 50/200 or the 83/200 will suit more, most of my fishing under 100m but occasionally go deeper than 100m

Cheers, Corey

Re: Airmar p66 choice

Hey Corey.
    I use a 50/200 P66 transom mount fairly extensively (furuno 7000f), I think it would serve your purposes well for the fishing you've suggested. Mounted well it gives a great picture at over 30 knots to about 50m or better and equally good in deeper water at 20 kn. I've used it to 200m with good results, at much slower boat speed though. Just be aware that the plastic kick up bracket has snapped on mine twice, you'd think I would have learned the first time, when the hull left the water and the resulting return to the surface was too much for it. Transducer falls off and flies into the outboard well at a rate of knots. I don't know if they make a stainless bracket for it but that's the way I'd go if you can. I'm making one for mine.
    Mark

The P66 only comes as a 50/200 as far as I know. The OEM Lowrance skimmer transducer comes as either a 83/200 or 50/200.

I had a P66 attached to my HDS5 and found it was significantly better than the Lowrance 50/200. Sharper images, better bottom resolution and held bottom better.

Remember to select the P66 in the setup menu to get best results.

It would be a good economical choice for your fishing, my use was similar and it worked great in all conditions for me.

Just be 100% sure that you are getting the Airmar 50/200 P66 and its actually the P66, I have seen some ads where the Lowrance 50/200 seems to being passed off as the Airmar. They are a different shape, that tells the story!
    Note to self: Don't argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience....

Thanks guys I just assumed they came in both, I know what the airmar looks like so that shouldn't be a worry, I read somewhere else about the plastic thing braking so I'll be sure to do something about that, the standard lowrance one I have reads fairly well at about 15 - 20kn so the airmar should be a good improvement.