Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bruce Harris Original 20 ft Shark Cat

Re: Bruce Harris Original 20 ft Shark Cat

Thanks for that bud
    Its true,some Shark cat where not so good as others
    My first18ft Cat was a Harris cat 1980,it was a Bullet,couldnt fault it at all
    Then i bought a Later one 1994 and it was crap Broached a lot that one had to be driven hard to get it to perform
    Ive seen the 20 Sharkcat on the water and they go well
    time will tell
    cheers Adam

Quote Originally Posted by adam sharkcat View Post
    Thanks for that bud
    Its true,some Shark cat where not so good as others
    My first18ft Cat was a Harris cat 1980,it was a Bullet,couldnt fault it at all
    Then i bought a Later one 1994 and it was crap Broached a lot that one had to be driven hard to get it to perform
    Ive seen the 20 Sharkcat on the water and they go well
    time will tell
    cheers Adam
    just curious why was the later SC a bad boat? under powered?

That would be interesting to know, except for the very old flat bottomed ones, the design changed little through the years.

Hi Flex
    The later one had a pair of V4 140hp Evinrudes VRO that where very heavy in my option,it had tones of power ,but really suffered with the self drainer too, one of my crew whore a pair of gumboots one day chasing Marlin of Bermigui a few years ago!!!!
    Also had Big tanks 180s underfloor
    it was a better layout, but should have had lighter engines Arse Heavy
    really didnt like a following sea catching the rear Quarter
    if you drove it like you stole it (Flat out) it was quite incredible,but you had to hold on!!!
    The early 560 (1980)had 85hp on it,nothing phased this boat
    I also had a 560 factory podded Shark cat that went well,but still not as good as my first Cat
    That said,, Shark Cats really need to be balanced well and they are amazing Craft
    CheersAdam

Never ever been in any 18' Sharkcat that broached!

Cheers Adam,

I own a podded 560. I've got f115 yamahas on it at so its super bum heavy. Wet feet isn't so bad in north qld

im still in early stages of testing but I must say I was a bit disappointed in how it rode head on. Banged just as hard as my 5.2kc if not more. I felt I was unable to trim the nose up as easily or as high as I'd like.
    im going to trial permatrims to help with a bit more nose trim. As well as whack some new kevlacat pods on it for more bum lift. I'm hoping this will help get it out of the water a bit more.

Adam did you notice much difference n trim from podded to standard sc?

as for following sea, I felt it ran very well. Bit more difficult to walk it like a 5.2kc so not as fun to drive but wasn't really needed. Definitely goes harder than a 5.2 following due to more length and stable in the water. i would have assumed heavier motors would inhibit any broaching tendencies.

Hey Flex
    The podded Shark cat seemed to ride Flat!!! could get that flighty feel with the trim,went out quite a few times and the podded cat felt like a bull dozer ,the transom Cat was completely different great trim response up and down,although the podded version handled the following sea better
    saying that ,i think the later transom Shark cat wasn't as good and the 1980 model shark cat boat,it was incredible!!!
    This 20fter that i am rebuilding will be going with the transom mount,no pods
    cheers Adam

Hey Noel,
    I doubt if any single sterndrive 18's are still about but if you see one and you need some excitement in your life try to get a ride in it in a following sea. Probably a function of not being able to trim up enough combined with lack of grunt. Not knocking Sharkcat perse just the dog I owned but hey I was young, broke and on the early slope of a learning curve. The harder you pushed it the better it performed in any sort of head sea up to the blinding top speed of 27 knots.

Sorry Adam,
    didn't mean to hijack the thread, just couldn't help reminiscing.

Fishtragic theres an 18 for sale on Boat sales qld atm with a 140hp turbo volvo. Blue in colour.
    Ive never been in one but my last boat was a 1985 18 Sharkcat welled model 2 x 90s and it rode excellent couldnt fault it.
    Nothing worse than a bad performing boat in a following sea, im still getting over that Lightning i once owned!

An 18' Sharkcat, with 90's or 115's is a very forgiving boat, you could do everything wrong, and they still came up smelling like roses! That said, they had a few "features" that weren't so hot!

The 18 Sharky we sold a few yrs ago has just come back up for sale again on boatsales.
    Great boat at 23k im half tempted@

Deano now yr Talkin
    Come back to the CAT Club, Lol
    They always Turn heads at the Ramps,especially if you drive like the Solo Man!!!!!!

Update on progress on the rebuild of my 20 footer
    With a few beers and deep thoughts ,going to chop the rear section out and go with a walkout transomAttachment 112852Attachment 112851
    Start up the chainsaw lol!!!
    here are the latest pics
    Cheers Adam

To add pics you need to use the go advanced button and import them to AF first then add to your post.
    Remember to always log on before heading offshore.