Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What if you catch...?

What if you catch...?

alright, i dont realli fish in the bay much, mostly offshores but pass afew wks out on the bay i run into alot of dolphin and turtles... so not realli my area of expertise.. but what if i hook a dolphin or turtle? am i suppose to reel them in and unhook if can or do i just cut the line? assuming there not that stupid enough to bite a hooked line? they do make the kids enjoy seeing them lol

Re: What if you catch...?

Mate thought he was onto a monster Jew, turned out to be a small turtle, brought him on board, de-hook and let go - no drama. Never hooked a dolohin but sure it happens from time to time, good luck trying to de-hook one though.

The few turtles I have caught have gone like freight trains and break the line.

I'd be impressed to see a dolphin brought to the boat

Have hooked only one or two turtles in 40 years fishing in the bay. Neither were hooked in the mouth, they apparently swam across the line and got hooked in the flipper in near the shell. Too big to get to the boat, we got them as close as possible then broke off the line.

Had a humpback do the same thing a couple of years ago. Took both my line and my mates, which both had good jew on the end at the time. We were no chance on 30lb line.

Have heard of dolphins getting hooked in last few years, seems they are learning to take hooked fish off lines and are lsoing their fear - due to getting used to people feeding them at Amity and Tangalooma. Im sure they would break the line without much trouble.

Occasionally a shag or tern will get hooked when they steal a livie or grab a slug thrown at tuna or mackerel. You fly a kite for a while then bring them to the boat. A rag over the head calms them down while you gently extract the hook and let them go. Aim their arse outwards away from the boat, though ..........
    Note to self: Don't argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience....

The only turtle I have hooked just opened his beak when he got to the surface with the line still under tension. Had to duck the hook and sinker as it twanged past.
    Other aspects were the passers by saying "isn't it cruel' when he appeared on top, and half the fellow passengers on the tourist boat I had got off with half an hour before, asking 'do you fish here often?'
    (???????????)

Turtles are good - bit crunchy on the outside though. Dolphins burn your drags out. PITA really.

We got a dolphin nearly into the boat a few months ago.
    3 guys on board and we couldn't drag him in but we had him 3/4 of the way over the gunnels.
    We were deep dropping in 300m when he hit the line near the surface and rolled which wrapped the braid around his fins.
    With 300m of braid out and him all wrapped up, we couldnt cut the line and let him go so we battled him out for a while on the electric reel and got him up to the boat.
    He had no hope on 400lb braid and 100kg of drag.
    Luckily the braid came of him easily and he swam away and rejoined his very worried mates.

i like dolphins. .........but i couldnt eat a whole one

Post a picture of your parents- you may be legally allowed to keep them.

Turtles are overrated tucker too.

Do any of you remember the former Minister for Everything in Qld - Russ Hinze? He was a really big unit, with 8 chins and with no neck.

Big Russ had some time to kill before a important meeting one time, so directed his chauffeur to take him to his favourite restaurant down the coast. Got the guy to order some beers and 2 bowls of his favourite dish - freshly made turtle soup.

20 minutes go past and no soup arrives. Russ orders the chauffeur to get him a another beer and go into the kitchen to find out whats going on, and to hurry them up otherwise he will end up being late for the next meeting.

Chauffeur goes into the kitchen and there's the chef, with a live turtle on its back, chef has a big chopper in one hand and a little piece of fish in the other. He uses the piece of fish to entice the turtle to put its head out of its shell, when the neck is all the way out, WHAM he swings the chopper down to cut off its head! But the turtle is too quick. Again and again he tries the same trick but no luck. Its the fastest turtle he's ever seen.

The chauffeur thinks for a minute, then says to the chef to get ready up at the head end of the turtle with the chopper. He says ready, set, and on "go" he shoves 2 fingers straight up the turtles ar$3, whereupon the shocked turtle's head shoots out and wham, the chef cuts it off with the chopper. Victory at last!

The stunned chef turns to the chauffeur and says "I would never have thought of doing that in 100 years. How did you know it would work?"

Chauffeur replied " I haven't been helping Mr Hinze put his tie on every morning for the past 5 years without learning something......"
    Note to self: Don't argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience....

And they are buggers to fillet !

very good moonlighter - i had the doubtful pleasure of dealing with big russ on a rare occasion - wish i had known that story then
    cheers

I find if you bleed dolphins and ice them down relatively quickly they are not too bad. Flavour is somewhere between Great White and Dugong if lightly fried and served with mayo....

Quote Originally Posted by patrol50 View Post
    very good moonlighter - i had the doubtful pleasure of dealing with big russ on a rare occasion - wish i had known that story then
    cheers
    I worked in the Local Government Department for the final year that Russ was the Minister. He was well liked in Department by senior officers, mainly because of the clout he had in Cabinet - if he took your submission up to Cabinet, there was never any doubt it would be approved. Plus he always looked after the Departments interests and staff. There wa no beating around the bush with him - if he agreed with what staff proposed, it happened. If not, it didnt. Simple as that.

The Departmental Christmas party that year was something to behold, it was the only one i got to go to before Russ resigned. I have never seen so many big king prawns, bugs and beers in my life before or since then. They just seem to keep arriving during the afternoon. Who knows where or who they came from...... I cant remember what happened after about 3pm that day.