Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Northern bay cobia

Northern bay cobia

Can anyone give me the heads up on where to chase cobia in northern bay and if there are any reports of recent catches. Thanks in advance.

Re: Northern bay cobia

general feedback would be to try the northern beacons which never produced for me

Dropping livies down by the beacons, Iv tried this time and time again with no luck though. Hopefully some one else has some better tips

There once was a cobia legend on here (cobiaman) that I'm sure would have given you all the knowledge needed..... he has however moved on and I haven't seen a report of a cobia being caught since.....

I have never successfully extracted any - Fish about 10, me Zip at the beacons. Whether they were kings or cobes I couldn't say. I have seen some absolute monsters around the wrecks at Curtain when diving.

I have caught cobia along the drop off near Bulwer on live baits. I have also hooked large cobia (but not yet landed one) at Western Rocks which is off the top of Moreton Island near Yellowpatch. Mates have caught cobia there.

only caught them as by-catch when trying to target something edible.

Curtain and Western Rocks are the two I've heard produce the most. I think Rainbowrunner might get a few good ones at Curtain on live yakkas, but they may have been yellowtail kingies. Can't remember. If he sees this I'm sure he'll chime in. Either way have definitely heard plenty of catches from these two spots over the years.

Cuzza

Talking Re: Northern bay cobia

image.jpgCaught this Coba over at curtain on live yellow tail about March last year, the photo makes it look like an oversized flat head at this angle unfortunately

Hey mate.
    I have caught them at western rocks.
    Just anchored over the coffee rocks with liveies floating under balloons. Very relaxing and fun fishing.
    Later in the year I think is best. Probably spring.

Cheers
    Rob

Thanks for the heads up gents, are the slimy mackerel generally in good numbers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by snapperbasher View Post
    There once was a cobia legend on here (cobiaman) that I'm sure would have given you all the knowledge needed..... he has however moved on and I haven't seen a report of a cobia being caught since.....
    He was a magical person. Much like the Silver Unicorn.

Had success and been hammered more times than I like to remember by brutes off the shipping channel pilons at the very top end of the bay and down to the 4 beacons. Can recommend these and the Curtin Artifical at dusk and early evening on the full moon in November and December. You'll need big gear to stop them from heading back to the pilon/wrecks.

Those cages they dropped in the northern bay should produce some surely? Other than that there is a wreck off Bribie that produces Cobes around spring. Hang around Newport and follow the DPI research boat out, they catch them for the aquaculture centre at Bribie

This was taken from the wreck I speak of. One of a four from the day with a few dropped also. 25ish kg from memory.

Attachment 112458