Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: sneaky sales tactics

Unhappy sneaky sales tactics

I was looking for a replacement for the old trusty Jackaroo for towing the boat and also the caravan the boss wants and saw an add on the Sunshine Coast for a new Colorado 7 LTZ at $41k drive away, MY 15 plates. Turned out they wanted to sell ex demos and the only supposed one at that price had been sold, colours were limited and even after constantly showing them their widely publicised add could not make any headway.
    No
    Just be aware that all is not what it seems with this dealer, second time I've tried to buy a vehicle from them, will never set foot in their yard again.

Re: sneaky sales tactics

Pretty common amongst the shysters, advertise something cheap to get the punters in the yard and then redirect them. Good call, never darken their door step again.

been through the same thing with nissan and holden...
    was looking at a collie ...worked a price one weekend with one sales guy ...come back next weekend different guy there and got the old no we couldnt sell one for that price had one a couple of weeks ago for that price but it went quickly but you can have this lower spec one for the same price.....sunco lost a 37k sale because of a rude ####### sales man
    Next on my list was a ST nissan d23 ...they advertised 37k drive away ...enquire ...sold that one but we have another for 44k ....but i just looked at it ?????? wtf ...add still up 2 weeks later ...enquire again ....just sold again ...wtf ....bait and switch much ????? asked why they kept the same add up but sell the car before i can look and low and behold the add goes to 49k ..... then after all that i get a call a few weeks later asking if i still want one for 37k ....no sorry bought a mitzi GLS from cricks ....sunco nissan... dodgy much ????? dickheads....

They apparently had three left but when I wanted a particular colour the price went up $6k. Kept Ponting at their add but they ignored it and later a friendly asked them and mentioned my problem and their response was I asked too much for a trade-in wtf all I wanted was the advertised price.

Same sort of story with me .
    Was looking for a new work ute after righting the old one off hitting a guardrail on the Bruce doing 100.No not pissed or stoned had just done a 80 hour week.
    Saw what looked like a good buy at our local Mazda dealer.At the time we were trying to hand over a 22 Storey high rise building at the time, so my time was limited.Asked my Mum to check out the vehicle. Looked alright to her ,so she went to see the salesman.
    She was straight up with him saying, Have not got time to play your games ,what is your best price?
    The response she got was ,and I quote " If your son is genuinely interested in this vehicle ,he would be here instead of you"
    After deciding not to kick this fwit in the family jewels , she went across to the new vehicle sales and after one phone call with me,I became the proud owner of a brand new BT 50 high rider with all the bells and whistles.
    The difference between both salesman was astounding.
    Shawn

Only things worse than car salesperson are Coronis real estate agents....

Hahaha....

Still thinking of referring them to OOFT but as it was all verbal there is no proof, they are total A holes.

Oh an once you have done the deal be real careful about the protection pack. I got it and checked the car this weekend and there is absolutely no rust protection sprayed in any of the door guards, or bonnet. Someone is going to get a nasty call tomorrow.

I know this may sound off topic, but here goes.

In the car buying / selling game, it's all about the " deal ". Which is not necessarily the price you pay for the new vehicle.

The deal has to be right. No point in getting the new car at a low price when trade-in is low or finance is high or options / extras are paid for , instead of thrown in.

The vehicle seller is there to do a job and that job is to sell the " deal ". Not the car.

As I use my vehicle for work, the last time I bought a new one, this is how it worked.

I contacted my Finance broker and told him I wanted a new vehicle. I told him the specifics. He then called me back later that day with the " deal ". The deal was better than expected purchase price on the new vehicle, a really good interest rate on the Chattel Mortgage. I did not trade in, as my trade was a specific type of vehicle that suited a specific buyer and a Private Sale, after I collected new vehicle was the best option. I was extremely happy I did NOT have to deal with car sales persons, finance companies etc. A few weeks later, I arrived at dealership, signed one piece of paper, grabbed the keys and off I went. Simple !

This type of purchasing is not for everyone, but it sure beats the hell out of dealing with problem sales staff, traveling endlessly trying to save a few hundred bucks and generally making the purchase of a vehicle , a nightmare.

Sales staff are there to make money, it's their job. They'll get the money from the sale, if not, the trade in, if not the commissions on the finance.......... You just have to make the best " deal ". Trust me, I would rather pay full price for a vehicle and a very low interest rate, rather than getting a few $'s off and pay a premium rate on finance. That is of course, we are using finance to buy said vehicle.

All IMO and experience... ><>

LP
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

Quote Originally Posted by goona View Post
    Oh an once you have done the deal be real careful about the protection pack. I got it and checked the car this weekend and there is absolutely no rust protection sprayed in any of the door guards, or bonnet. Someone is going to get a nasty call tomorrow.
    Goona, not sure but I believe rust proofing these days is clear so may be missed, this was from another dealer though so could be a furphy.

Phill, in this case we couldn't arrange a deal as the advertised price and their starting price for a 2015 plate NEW vehicle was a long way apart, turned out they only had one new vehicle at $6k more the others were demos and even they were more than the advertised price depending on whether they had 1k or 6k on the clock. This ad had been insert into every paid paper and local paper here on the Sunshine Coast. I just couldn't shake them, they did all sorts of finangalling e.g. but the vehicle is worth so much and we'll give you 5 times more than your trade in is worth but you will pay much more. My response constantly was to put the add on top of their lovely calculations and ask them to supply me a vehicle as per the advert and we would worry about extras and trade in from there, nope, like a tram stuck in its track they would go back to their insane calculations about the worth of the vehicle. It is just false and misleading advertising.
    It would be good to go down the path you went but not an option for me.

Yep, I hear ya. I do understand about the advertising or misleading ads.

For me, I saw an ad in the paper for the drive-away price and in my case, I paid less than that ? Not sure what my broker did to get that, but doesn't matter, although I maybe got the ABN holders price ?

It's like buying paint.

There is a R.R.P............... actual retail price..........on special price.......... trade discount............ bulk buy price....... wholesale price..... and I get paint for " my negotiated price ".. which is about as low as it gets.

There people out there called " Car Brokers "... might be worth a try to call them. Sure they'll get a commission, but maybe, just maybe... they can source " THE DEAL " you are looking for. ???

And, I would definitely contact the OFT and advise them of your situation and beliefs.

cheers LP
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

New Mahindra 4x4 is only 26K and has backing from Matt Hadyn. How could you go wrong there !!

Quote Originally Posted by gunna View Post
    New Mahindra 4x4 is only 26K and has backing from Matt Hadyn. How could you go wrong there !!
    Until you get stumped or bowled out, saw it at the Redcliffe show on the weekend but strangely no one was checking it out, probably a bit like the Great Wall, mate had one and thought the world of it until it was about 12 months old and everything started falling apart, maybe just a lemon but there seems to be fewer of them on the road these days.