Thread: What is a good beach fishing rod?

What is a good beach fishing rod?

Hey guys, so i'm looking to buy a new rod and reel for beach fishing, i currently have one, but its fiberglass, and i would like a graphite rod. I would mainly be using it on beaches with medium surf, for salmon and everything similar, I want to be able to use it for bait,and occasionally throwing out metal lures, and maybe even hard bodies. I'll also be using it fishing from the rocks, chasing drummer, kingfish (if i'm ever lucky to catch one haha) and everything in between.

So i'm thinking a 9' rod or longer, something that will not attack my piggy bank too much, maybe something i can find from Dinga or Fishing Tackle Shop.

so if anyone can lend a help to a young fellow, that would be amaze!!

Thanks, Justin.

Re: What is a good beach fishing rod?

If your going to be fishing primarily with bait and occasionally with lures then I would suggest stay with glass or you will end up trying to cast beyond its weight abilities with graphite and explode it while loaded up during a cast. Also graphite rods around rocks aren't great as one small bump or bit of damage will see it explode when loaded up on a fish or during a cast. I'm not saying they cant be used, but more care must be taken.

But if you must go that way and want a reasonable option that is cost effective look at the Rovex air surf range which are very reasonably priced and surprisingly good rods. http://www.dinga.com.au/rovex-graphi...-rod-case.html

like Just Chips advised, or other options like an ALvey rod or a Schneider Gators Tail from memory, also with casting some of the best casting rods around are the glass surf rods casting baits and slugs a mile so your not losing anything there
    Tangles KFC

Quote Originally Posted by Tangles View Post
    like Just Chips advised, or other options like an ALvey rod or a Schneider Gators Tail from memory, also with casting some of the best casting rods around are the glass surf rods casting baits and slugs a mile so your not losing anything there

"Mag Bream" does it all

Anything that's built on a Snyderglas blank should do the job. You've got to decide just how heavy you want to go. A 6 wrap seems a good compromise between whiting/bream/tailor, and it should handle the heavier stuff as well, but then you can go heavier like a 7 wrap (of fibreglass) or down even to a 5 wrap.

Then you should be prepared for whatever comes your way.

TOL

Thanks guys! You helped heaps! I already have a fibreglass, but I want a second rod just to better my chances of a catch. Looks like I'll be buying another fibreglass thanks to all your help (:

I saw that rod on dinga a while ago, but they're sold out. Are they actually good rods tho? Or are they cheap and cheerful.

I've also heard that alveys are good! Any recommendations on reel size and brands I should be looking out for? Also, mono is better for rocks fishing right? 20lb should be heavy enough? I doubt I'll be catching anything over the 5kg mark anyway.

I'm still re-learning how to fish after years of not fishing, from when I was a kid.

Thanks for all your help guys!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I see that you're in NSW Juzzy. The gov't there will soon introduce legislation to make life jackets compulsory when fishing from the rocks, so you need to be aware of that and don't get pinched.

If you're looking at Alveys, I'd recommend a 600 size (6 inch diameter) or maybe a 650 size (6.5 inches) and say 15-20lb mono depending on what you're targeting. Platypus Platinum mono is a good reliable brand and is thinner than other brands for the same breaking strain. Then again, you could get Platypus Super 100 which is thinner again than the Platinum. You need to discuss this when buying a rod, as the reel seat on a rod set up for an Alvey is lower down the rod than for a spinning reel. You can drown an Alvey but spinning reels don't like getting drenched at all.

Hopefully you can discuss all this at a good tackle store where the staff will listen to your ideas and not push one of their preferences onto you.

Good luck hunting!

TOL

Quote Originally Posted by JuzzyRawrs View Post

I saw that rod on dinga a while ago, but they're sold out. Are they actually good rods tho? Or are they cheap and cheerful.

Thanks for all your help guys!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yep. I have one specifically for casting slugs up to 40gms -I chose the 4-8kg model, and have never cast as far, or as easily!
    Having said that, I'd also advise against it for baitfishing. The recovery is so fast, you'll be throwing off two out of every 3 baits on the cast!
    But for sheer casting ability with metals, I have yet to find its equal. They're also available at another big online retailer, too.
    Years ago we used to use a Snyder 10ft glass rod for our casting. More forgiving, but still light enough to fish all day. Not sure if they're still made however. A local tackle store might be able to help.

mag surf 13.5

Im sorry but glass rods weight a tonne graphite is the way to go or a composite like the old mag surfs and mag breams . Im waiting on 2 surf blanks to arrive right now. 10ft 2piece 5-20kg and 15ft 2 piece 4-8kg. should be wicked going by specs.
    Very few blanks do it all
    The best off the shelf rod for dart bream whiting small tailor is a Daiwa morethan triple 1. 8-15lb bar one of my century rods.My customs are better but im continually striving for better blanks. i test all my rods first before i make for customers .
    Tangles contact Ian he has something that will tickle your fancy.
    Fibreglass has its place but unless your a weight lifter forget about it.
    IMO Graham

People recommending the Mag Surf and Breams are spot on (I owned both and LOVED them) BUT Gary Howard has newer rods that leave them for dead in my opinion.

The Gary Howard Surf special(12'0 4-6kg), Surf Classic(13'6 6-8kg) and Surf Classic Heavy(13'6 8-12kg) are all fast surf composites and the best beach / rock rods I've ever held. They are light, powerful, can cast like cannons, still have excellent sensitivity and best of all, the ferules on the 2 piece rods are so small that they do not effect the action at ALL (On the old Snyders the two piece rods were Rubbish).

The only down side is that the Surf Classic and Surf Classic Heavy are a little more unforgiving with casting and takes a little getting used to, being more powerful in the cast they can also tear up soft baits but careful baiting eliminates this.

I've had a few old salts check my rods out when I'm fishing and they all fell in love.

Oh and it's been about 15 years since I've seen a graphite rod 'Explode', the materials used have come a long, long way since then!