Thread: Small ice makers

Small ice makers

Hi all.

Has as anyone used one of these small ice makers similar to this one?

http://www.ebay.com.au/ulk/itm/391298050271

i would like to make smallish quantities of ice on camping trips.
    Mi will not be trying to cool fish or cartons of beer or anything like that.

We really just want to have ice in our rum and cokes.

Will be powering through an inverter, with plenty of battery and solar power.
    Run one fridge as a freezer, so can make during the day, and keep for evenings.

Are re they good enough for that?

thanks
    Rob

Re: Small ice makers

One thing to think of with ice makers is how much water they dump on a cycle......if you have plenty of water it's proberbly not an issue but if water is limited you may want to look into that side of things a bit further.
    Confidence.......the feeling you get before you fully understand the situation.

Wife has one and loves it.
    It kept up with a few mixed drinkers most days...and nights

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

I've got one similar. It's awesome. Works better if you fill it with cold water first.

Ben of Upstart

I have one that is similar and use it to make our ice for our fishing trips. It makes a fair bit during the course of a day enough to fill up a coles shopping bag and then I just put it in the freezer. That one uses 130W so seams to be pretty efficient. They are pretty good on water as well only using what you use to make the ice. I find it is best to top up at about 1/2 full so the water that's left cools down the new water and that way you get a better "fuller" cube

Might be cheaper/easier to just buy a bag of ice before you go, you have a freezer to keep it in!

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    Might be cheaper/easier to just buy a bag of ice before you go, you have a freezer to keep it in!
    Point taken Noelm,
    but it would also be easier to camp in a caravan park, buy my fish from Aussie seafood house, and just read about good times in a magazine.

The challenge is the best part.

Cheers
    Rob

I used one on a few trips to Fraser island

Pros
    good on water and power
    handy to have if you have time to keep an eye on it

Cons
    took up room
    you need to be there and watch them as they need to be emptied to often as they turn off at a certain level and need to be refilled often ( use cold water)
    takes longer than you think to dump a batch (nothing worse than a rum & coke with no ice) and if you get on the drink it didn't keep up with demand

we now just take a bag of ice with us and keep it in the freezer
    when we run out we go buy another

its all good fun until you run out of ice
    a watched ice machine takes forever

enjoy

Quote Originally Posted by rtp1984 View Post
    Point taken Noelm,
    but it would also be easier to camp in a caravan park, buy my fish from Aussie seafood house, and just read about good times in a magazine.

The challenge is the best part.

Cheers
    Rob
    Yep, that may be true, but "camping" with generators, ice machines and so on is not exactly roughing it, that why, in this instance, you have a freezer, and a couple of dollars buys a bag of ice.

Rob,
    We've got a Aquaport ice maker we take everywhere.
    It's run off the little 1kva Honda generator and makes plenty of ice for 1 million scotch's and even some left over.
    It uses bugger all power, so we can run the Engel, ice maker, charge the phones, and a Tuckerbox freezer off the little Honda.
    When we use a toaster, we unplug a few items for the few minutes.
    Where we go, there is no where to get ice etc, so why rough it!
    We have pre made block ice in good quality eskies, so the fish and bait are always cared for. If it's really hot, we rock salt the block ice and that freezes stuff for ages.
    Ours cost about that, maybe a bit less, from Harvey Norman.
    It's reliable and efficient.
    Why not? Life is short.......
    Tim