Thread: Swim platforms on fibreglass hull

Swim platforms on fibreglass hull

Hi all, I'm looking at purchasing a newer model fibreglass hull and it doesn't have any decent size swim platforms of the rear. I like diving and would be interesting in adding one each side of the transom. Has anyone installed swim platforms onto there fibreglass hull?

Re: Swim platforms on fibreglass hull

My old Caribbean had the outboard on a pod, part of the pod was a couple of good size swim platforms each side...... Maybe an option.

The hull already has a built in fibreglass pod on it, it just doesn't have any sort of swim platforms. Wondering if I could get an aluminium welder to make up some platforms and then fit them to each side of hull.

You could but it would look like 💩
    Why not just get a rail ladder and sit on the edge
    happy days ahead summer is coming

Why not get some glass ones made up?

I didn't add mine, they came with it but they are just simple glass platforms shaped to the contours of the transom and screwed in either side of the pod with a hand rail and drop down ladder.

have a Google search cause you can buy pre made ones that might suit..
    http://www.rippamarine.com.au/fibreg...swim-platform/
    or
    http://m.ebay.com/itm/251730746178o
    Or a bit more room with only one top handrail -
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/like/1217...s=true&viphx=1
    Kids who Hunt and Fish, Don't Deal and Steal.

Hi , triple. Thanks for the info. Im sure if they are set to the contour of the transom and painted same colour as the hull then they wont look to bad.

Just get a custom dive ladder made, pretty simple to do, and a lot easier to use than a skinny platform.

It already has a ladder. I had extended swim platforms on my previous plate boat and I used them so much. Just curious if anyone has them on there fibreglass boat. Cheers

I know this is a slightly older thread. But if you getting a new boat, would you pay $1200 for 2 swim platforms and a ladder or $220 for a stainless steel telescopic ladder only held in place with a small bungee cord? Or are there other options that you would recommend? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by SCTSCT View Post
    I know this is a slightly older thread. But if you getting a new boat, would you pay $1200 for 2 swim platforms and a ladder or $220 for a stainless steel telescopic ladder only held in place with a small bungee cord? Or are there other options that you would recommend? Thanks!
    I wouldn't, I have them on my Whittley and if I could id get rid of them I would. They annoy the s#*t out of me when a rest slapping in the water making all sorts of noises and no doubt scareing the fish.
    Cheers Axl

Quote Originally Posted by SCTSCT View Post
    I got my boat without them then realised how hard it is to get into the boat from the water later on - let alone get someone in distress into the boat from the water.
    I paid same cost as you for custom made pair suited to the transom profile and it’s up to me to install them. I only installed 1 platform and ladder on the port side,
    My boat is a fibreglass 6.2m CC.
    I guess it depends on the sort of boating you are doing to. On a hot day I jump in ha ha ha.

Saltwater fishing, boat mad but has a job that gets in the way.

It depends on what boat is used for and transom shape and height but if you plan to do any swimming/snorkelling etc from the boat then you will want them. And they come in handy sometimes for fishing from and landing/handling decent sized fish from too. Rear ladder and platforms make it very easy to climb in and out of the boat on the trailer aswell.
    Kids who Hunt and Fish, Don't Deal and Steal.