Thread: boat buying factory tours

boat buying factory tours

so went to a few factories over the last little while with a good friend i nthe market for a 6.5m + glass boat to replace his 530 classic haines. and its been very interesting and fun learning how various brands go about it

i have to say so far the caribbean factory in victoria has taken the cake so far. the workmanship and size of the place is amazing!. so.. hats off to caribbean for sure.

Marine outfitting solutions
    www.moosemarine.com.au

Re: boat buying factory tours

After being part of a few boat restorations now, it really amazes me the topic of build quality isn't discussed or pushed more,
    Generally build quality is relegated to the superficial stuff and people make a judgement on it, ie stainless screws v bolts or how the cushions look.

Rarely do you hear mention of what's really in the boat, I.e thickness or type of glass they use, how many layers and where. How much chop strand/gun v cloth etc,
    Timber if any used and how it's prepared,how are fuel tanks installed .

From the few boats I've seen sub floor it's generally the bare minimum.

Can anyone tell me how many layers of glass and what type are in the hull Mould of a new Haines v one that's 30y old. Any difference?

Same for kevlacat, how many layers and where is the Kevlar I installed?

So it's a great idea to see factories first hand

i was impressed that core samples are kept from every hole sawed out on a rod.. and kept in a warehouse with the build number. they have 50 years! worth of core samples to keep track of the boats quality. they have their own osmosis testing room. their own 50ft test tank. obviously its taken time. but to have the salesman and manager happy to show every single thing in the factory. their own metal fab workshop. their own trimmers, two wood shops. everything is cnc and labled and just amazing. not the ........most modern boat. but very very solid.

Marine outfitting solutions
    www.moosemarine.com.au

The new 7meter model they have looks the goods. When you look at similar size twin engine boats it's priced quite well. It's nice to dream!

Have not done a tour of a glass boat factory nbut have done one of the quintrex/savage alllly plant at Coomera and was very impressed. Certainly worth while if you bare thinking of an ally boat.They certainly take pri8de in their work.
    Cheers
    Ray

/