Thread: Garmin STRIKER™ 7sv or Lowrance Elite-5 Ti?

Garmin STRIKER™ 7sv or Lowrance Elite-5 Ti?

anyone else pre ordering the new Garmin STRIKER™ 7sv (750$)? or Lowrance Elite-5 Ti (995)? as im upgrading from dragon fly, spec seem awesome and price wise is far better then what 1500$ sounder/gps combo can get you nowday! but likewise just wondering how many are or will be

Re: Garmin STRIKER™ 7sv or Lowrance Elite-5 Ti?

two very different units. the elite is a full on gps chart plotter/fish finder combo..
    the striker is a fish finder... with some gps elements.
    the elite TI is touch. the striker isnt.
    the elite ti has wifi the striker does not

so its a big screen with less. vs a small screen with more... essentially

Marine outfitting solutions
    www.moosemarine.com.au

well after consideration i perorder Lowrance Elite-7 Ti with maps, turn out to be cheaper then what hds 7 gen 3 that i was gonna get from north marine

if I wanted to get a Garmin STRIKER 7SV as a sounder/fish finder is there a reasonably priced chart plotter around that could be used as a second unit? I've had a look but could see anything that was in the same price bracket.

The striker looks great and would be perfect if a chart plotter could be found to sit next to it.

otherwise its back to a combined unit....

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Khunaus View Post
    if I wanted to get a Garmin STRIKER 7SV as a sounder/fish finder is there a reasonably priced chart plotter around that could be used as a second unit? I've had a look but could see anything that was in the same price bracket.

The striker looks great and would be perfect if a chart plotter could be found to sit next to it.

otherwise its back to a combined unit....

Cheers

Hi Khunaus

I am thinking of going the same way - In 'Moose's' look at the Striker I was impressed. wonder if they are going to do a 9" sreen version or stick with the 7 and see what a higher power transducer will do for it.

The question remains about either a new GPS - there seems to be less and less offerings , pick up a secondhand GPS or continue to use the Ipad with the navionics to get me there - cheap setup with a suction mount - just need to hook up a power supply for it. Seems old fashion yet separate screens seem to still work.

Chocolatemoose feel free to put forward you thoughts
    cheers

Steve

Hey Stevet

The only thing i have found in my travels of "reasonably" priced chartplotters to compliment the Striker is either an iPad/tablet (not ideal unless there is a suitable case etc) or a Lowrance Elite-7m Chartplotter though both are a bit on the exe side for what they are comparatively.

I think the Striker 7sv looks like a great unit and to me looked sharper than the Gamin Echomap chirp when I saw them side by side and the reason for me thinking to go to two lower priced specific units over one single combined.

I agree if moose could throw his two cents in it would be appreciated.

Cheers

i gota say the striker is growing on me. twas only monday that i got on the water with one (7sv) but things to note.

as a sounder.. they are sensational.. thats all they are ever aimed at Garmin informs me.. its not trying to compete in the combo market. the fact it has some GPS function is just a bonus
    "humminbird experimented with that sort of with one of their piranha max;s a little while ago"

so.. gota keep in your mind.. .fish finder , fish FINDER, FISH FINDER!!!..............(and kinda gps) lol

the echomap chirp has been pushed up in the world and is more than what the old echomaps were and not far below the gpsmap. as a combo unit. go the echomap. it just does, performs and is better.

however for budget reasons. if your happy using a tablet or... just dont care about chartography... then the striker is awesome! especially the 7sv with its gt52 transducer for your shallows.

points i have found

no quick release on the strikers is a bit of a step back.. but keeps things simple.. like... really simple! and simple is good "Cheap" on boats. i would like to have seen a more secure plug mounting system. more than just a tight press in. ive moved the unit around a fair bit and the plugs havnt budged.. but still....

the swivel bracket whilst on the topic of brackets for the 7" units is groovy. you dont see too many 7" systems with a swivel option (new elite TI an exeption)

fastest start up from garmin!. only some humminbird models have proved to start up faster. but its like 8 seconds!! so thats a nice one in a world where some systems can require a cup of see (see this old sounder drag race video below)

garmin has had this "why fix what isnt broken" theme with its home screen. everything is big, simple. clear and idiot proof. ... and has been on a few models for a while. so why change..a bit like google

maybe i should plug a bit special AUSFISH member pricing on the strikers too

Moose

Marine outfitting solutions
    www.moosemarine.com.au

[QUOTE=chocolatemoose;1610549]i

as a sounder.. they are sensational.. thats all they are ever aimed at Garmin informs me.. its not trying to compete in the combo market. the fact it has some GPS function is just a bonus
    "humminbird experimented with that sort of with one of their piranha max;s a little while ago"

so.. gota keep in your mind.. .fish finder , fish FINDER, FISH FINDER!!!..............(and kinda gps) lol

the echomap chirp has been pushed up in the world and is more than what the old echomaps were and not far below the gpsmap. as a combo unit. go the echomap. it just does, performs and is better.

AUSFISH member pricing on the strikers too

Moose

As for the sounder capability of the units are they the same or is one unit better than the other?

I would be grateful if you could PM me the AUSFISH price for the Stricker unit

thanks
    Stevet