Thread: 2 weeks fishing King Ash Bay/ Islands

2 weeks fishing King Ash Bay/ Islands

Heading to King Ash Bay in May I was up there about 4 years ago but only fished the creeks with pretty good success, this time I want to mix it up and fish outside around the islands etc. If anyone can help out with location of reefs or bommies etc this would help us out, also what is the wind generally doing in May as I will have 5 mtr boat and looking at staying on the boat for a couple of days fishing around the islands. If anyone can help this would be great.

Cheers

Re: 2 weeks fishing King Ash Bay/ Islands

Nobody else replying so I might as well Not that I went out to the islands, but I was up at King Ash for most of October last year. That was all river/creek bashing for barra though. A few of the campers around us were taking their bigger boats out to the islands and bagging out nicely on reef species etc. Sadly can't help you with spots though. I'm sure some locals will help you out with some knowledge once you're up there if you don't get some suggestions off Ausfish before then.

Contemplating going up around May maybe, depends if it's a late / deep monsoon. Otherwise I'll be back there in Oct/Nov. Was dry as buggery late last year, but they've had some nice raid and it's greened up a treat apparently.

Best of luck !

Hey rye23
    rye23
    mate tried to reply to your private msg about Lucinda you sent me but it says your inbox is full and i can't send it...if you would like to send me your private email ill shoot some info through
    cheers Rossco

I dropped in there after a long, corrugated, hot trip across the Gulf and the tide went out pretty quickly at the bar, On my beers that was
    cheers

We are doing a similar trip in October , look forward to your trip report .

Only thing I can offer from my research is the fishing is very good out around the islands .

oh and hire a sat phone , its very remote out there

I'll be back in KAB for most of October. Mostly focusing on the barra though. Had a good session last year, and they've actually had rain in the last few months so hopefully that'll move some fish around in the rivers.

If you're staying in the "Fishing Club" caravan park area, the Groper Bar has a Telstra repeater that you can get signal no problems with. But anywhere else yeah you'll need a satphone. But it's a good excuse that you have to go to the bar and spend a long time there googling something

Hey guys, heading back to King ash in March 17, also keen to hear your reports etc!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Fillet`n`Release View Post
    I'll be back in KAB for most of October. Mostly focusing on the barra though. Had a good session last year, and they've actually had rain in the last few months so hopefully that'll move some fish around in the rivers.

If you're staying in the "Fishing Club" caravan park area, the Groper Bar has a Telstra repeater that you can get signal no problems with. But anywhere else yeah you'll need a satphone. But it's a good excuse that you have to go to the bar and spend a long time there googling something
    Thanks for the tips on phone, so you can get service at the bar?

It's only a Telstra repeater, otherwise you'll have to go into Borroloola if you want other telcos. I believe the fishing club chipped in money to put the repeater at the top of one of the radio towers they've got there. You won't necessarily get reception in your camp (though we did and we were a good 200-300m from the building) near the new amenities block. But you'll get full service in the pub

Quote Originally Posted by Fillet`n`Release View Post
    It's only a Telstra repeater, otherwise you'll have to go into Borroloola if you want other telcos. I believe the fishing club chipped in money to put the repeater at the top of one of the radio towers they've got there. You won't necessarily get reception in your camp (though we did and we were a good 200-300m from the building) near the new amenities block. But you'll get full service in the pub
    Yeah im Telstra, will be staying in the lodge! So maybe it might work there if not over to the bar for me lol! Thanks again mate