Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sunday at Somerset( Part Four )😭😭😭😭

Sunday at Somerset( Part Four )😭😭😭😭

G'Day All
    After not getting the boat wet for 7 days, we were determined to get the old girl on the water. Got up early ( for a change ) , a quick shit , shave and shampoo ensured that we were raring to go. The alarm bells started ringing when we turned off the main road to see not the usual vista of calm water with a variety of bird life, but acres and acres of mud . Displaying a confidence I did not feel , we continued on to the boat ramp. The pictures below show what we found.
    It turns out Seqwater have lowered the dam level to 80%. Not blaming them , I should have done my homework.
    Thanks for reading.
    Shawn
    Attached Thumbnails - Click to enlarge Attached Thumbnails - Click to enlarge Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	59.0 KB 
ID:	112280   Click image for larger version. 

Size:	56.8 KB 
ID:	112279   Click image for larger version. 

Size:	61.0 KB 
ID:	112278  

Re: Sunday at Somerset( Part Four )😭😭😭😭

Should be a good time to catch a few with less water, or have they closed it to boating?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Getting ready for the El nino. Can't have too much water stored or we won't run out and have to use the desal plant at Tugun and recycled sewerage previous Labour government spent billions building and hundreds of millions maintaining but never used for real
    On a serious note we are still in the cyclone season/wet season so they are probably just being cautious. Hope it rains to bring it back above 90% before the predicted long dry spell eventuates

Quote Originally Posted by Richo1 View Post
    Should be a good time to catch a few with less water, or have they closed it to boating?

No mate. Still open for all activities
    Shawn

I was just reading my original post and it may give the impression I was having a whinge.
    In no way was that my intention.
    Shawn

No didn't read it that way, no one likes getting mud all over the trailer

Just a bit more info . The ramp I pictured was the one on the western reach of Somerset . The main ramps at Kirkleigh are all good. Just watch the timber in the six knot zones. I was talking to a local there on the weekend , and he was saying the patrols and coppers are ramping up their inspections in those zones on jetskies (No bad thing in my opinion ) The coppers even booked a bloke for having one of his kids in his boat whilst he was driving from the bottom of the ramp to the tie down area .( I cannot confirm this though )
    Shawn

Thats a bugger!!! I was going to take my boat up there this Sunday to give it a run in the fresh.

Thanks Shawn for putting this post up as you have saved me a 3hr round trip and a whole heap of disappointment.

Cheers Bull
    Rebel Alliance Fishing

Hey Bull
    dont change your plans mate.
    there is still plenty of water in her. I stuffed up( blame the Valium I am taking for a stuffed back)The boat ramp I pictured was not the main ramp. but one on the EASTERN reach of the dam. The boat ramps at Kiekleigh are as good as usual.
    My apologies for any disinformation
    Shawn

I was up there about 10 weeks ago and got pulled over by the Ranger & Boating and Fisheries.
    I sped up about 25m before the 6knot zone ended. Got told off by no fine, Ranger thought he was king pin with the boys in blue in his boat.

[QUOTE=Richo1;1609350]I was up there about 10 weeks ago and got pulled over by the Ranger & Boating and Fisheries.
    I sped up about 25m before the 6knot zone ended. Got told off by no fine, Ranger thought he was king pin with the boys in blue in his boat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE
    Yeah mate , from talking to a few locals they are doing themselves no favours with their attitude. Like the example I posted above , the young kid was seated behind the wheel pretending to drive the boat, while his father was slowly towing his boat up the ramp to the rigging area.
    (Just a disclaimer here , I was told about this by a local, I did not witness the episode)
    Shawn
    PS If they were fair dinkum they would hammer the ski boats and jet skis from tearing off from the foreshore adjacent to the ramps at Kirkleigh.
    Last edited by Shawn 66; 12-02-2016 at 11:07 AM. Reason: Fat fingers

hey Shawn have you heard anything about redclaw numbers ? i will be camping there for 3 or 4 nights in 2 weeks time. cheers
    Dad reckons fishing is 10% brains and 95% muscle, the rest is just good luck.

Click image for larger version. 

Size:	95.1 KB 
ID:	112304Mate
    Have not heard of catches lately mate. Before Xmas we were getting good numbers after soaking overnight.If you have a boat try the eastern reaches of the dam amongst the standing timber.If you put in at Kirkleigh turn left and head down through the six knot area .Have had good results in about 3 to 4 metres of water.

i normally head over to the area directly across the lake from the campgrounds where all the timber is leading into that little creek. Theres always a few in there from overnight soaks. Hoping to locate a yella or 2 for the smoker also..
    Dad reckons fishing is 10% brains and 95% muscle, the rest is just good luck.

Just a little tip with yellas that an old bloke taught me. If. You are filleting them remember to remove the fat sack located at the top of the fillet. Makes a hell of a difference to the taste.
    Shawn