Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rescue in the Pine River

Rescue in the Pine River

Had an interesting day in the Pine River Yesterday afternoon. Went down prawning with a mate and in another boat was two other guys I work with. Started getting a few prawns and decided to move up the river a bit further in search of more. Got a few more and decided it was better where we stared so started going back. Saw a few beer bottles floating in the river and then saw a guy beside his swamped boat waving his hand around so we shot over pronto. When we got there he was near the shore line and I asked if he was alright which he replied yes. I asked what happened and then heard voices from the other side of the bank screaming obscenities and to leave him there and don’t help him. Well this was a bit out of the ordinary. Asked him who they were and he said one was his brother and one was his cousin who were also in the boat when it flipped and they swam to the northern side of the river. Apparently there was a fair bit of agro between the three of them. I asked what had happened and he said the two big boys (the ones on the bank now) were on the side of the boat and it just flipped. He said they lost everything, Phones, wallets, cast nets etc. I had a look at the motor but apparently it was running when it flipped. Still pulled ok but was pretty wet so I am guessing no spark there. Asked him what he wanted to do and if he needed a tow back to the ramp which he said yes.
    So I asked my mate in the other boat if he could get the 2 on the bank and take them to the ramp of which he did. Now here’s the interesting bit. The guy I was with said if they get to the ramp first they will drive off and leave him there as it was his brother’s car they towed the boat to the ramp with. What the hell is that all about? Sure enough my mate gets to the ramp pretty quick and he isn’t towing anything and I am plugging along towing old mates boat. Get back to the ramp and true to his word they dump the trailer and take off. I ask him if he wants to use my phone to call someone to come and get him but he didn’t know anyone’s number so I said I will take my boat home and then come back and get him. He said its ok his dad will eventually know he’s missing and go looking for him. Another “What’s that all about”. Anyway I said I can’t just leave you hear I will drop my boat home and came back and get you. Got back to the ramp and hooked up his trailer and took him back to his brother’s house. I asked if he would be alright and I could see he was pretty tense. I ended up leaving but I hope they sorted it out and he is alright.

Re: Rescue in the Pine River

You guys have so many dramas on that side of town lol
    interesting tho
    happy days ahead summer is coming

That sums up the pine and it's surrounds. The real scary part is it is better than it used to be....

Quote Originally Posted by goona View Post
    Had an interesting day in the Pine River Yesterday afternoon. Went down prawning with a mate and in another boat was two other guys I work with. Started getting a few prawns and decided to move up the river a bit further in search of more. Got a few more and decided it was better where we stared so started going back. Saw a few beer bottles floating in the river and then saw a guy beside his swamped boat waving his hand around so we shot over pronto. When we got there he was near the shore line and I asked if he was alright which he replied yes. I asked what happened and then heard voices from the other side of the bank screaming obscenities and to leave him there and don’t help him. Well this was a bit out of the ordinary. Asked him who they were and he said one was his brother and one was his cousin who were also in the boat when it flipped and they swam to the northern side of the river. Apparently there was a fair bit of agro between the three of them. I asked what had happened and he said the two big boys (the ones on the bank now) were on the side of the boat and it just flipped. He said they lost everything, Phones, wallets, cast nets etc. I had a look at the motor but apparently it was running when it flipped. Still pulled ok but was pretty wet so I am guessing no spark there. Asked him what he wanted to do and if he needed a tow back to the ramp which he said yes.
    So I asked my mate in the other boat if he could get the 2 on the bank and take them to the ramp of which he did. Now here’s the interesting bit. The guy I was with said if they get to the ramp first they will drive off and leave him there as it was his brother’s car they towed the boat to the ramp with. What the hell is that all about? Sure enough my mate gets to the ramp pretty quick and he isn’t towing anything and I am plugging along towing old mates boat. Get back to the ramp and true to his word they dump the trailer and take off. I ask him if he wants to use my phone to call someone to come and get him but he didn’t know anyone’s number so I said I will take my boat home and then come back and get him. He said its ok his dad will eventually know he’s missing and go looking for him. Another “What’s that all about”. Anyway I said I can’t just leave you hear I will drop my boat home and came back and get you. Got back to the ramp and hooked up his trailer and took him back to his brother’s house. I asked if he would be alright and I could see he was pretty tense. I ended up leaving but I hope they sorted it out and he is alright.
    Hey Goona. I was there when those guys turned up and then when you pulled in with his boat

I asked the guys about their day and they were petty cranky. I saw them unhitch the trailer and drive off. I think one of them stopped to have a spew before they even left the carpark.

That poor fella you towed in seemed pretty dazed while he waited for you. He had no clue what to do. I think he was surprised his brother abandoned him like that.

Anyway, big kudos to you sir for not only towing him back but taking your trailer home, coming all the way back and then taking him and his trailer home as well. Back to Kalangur was it? I heard mention Donnybrook at one stage.

I'll also add that yesterday another boatie had water pump problems and had to be towed in and today another boat had to be towed in with fuel problems.

All three tows were avoidable through either maintenance or common sense and all three affected someone else's day out.

The number of dinghies i see gong out from there on weekends, which should have either been retired or scrapped is amazing. Many people must just rely on passing traffic as their 'Plan B'.

nothing wrong with plan B, in fact most boaties do, most people dont learn until there back to back with a croc lol waiting on rescue or water police decide to check on it.. but otherwise good job helping a fellow fisher out

Quote Originally Posted by PixieAU View Post
    I'll also add that yesterday another boatie had water pump problems and had to be towed in and today another boat had to be towed in with fuel problems.

All three tows were avoidable through either maintenance or common sense and all three affected someone else's day out.

The number of dinghies i see gong out from there on weekends, which should have either been retired or scrapped is amazing. Many people must just rely on passing traffic as their 'Plan B'.
    A bit harsh Pixie. I had an impellor let go 60km offshore, that was about 10 hours old after a full service.

I then got a tank load of filthy fuel which killed the motor, luckily still in the river before hitting Noosa Bar.

So your comment re lack of maintenance doesn't apply, & no amount of common sense could have predicted or solved my issues.

Sometimes bad things just happen. So I hope next time you are on the water & something goes wrong that is not within your control, someone like goona is nearby.

By the way, as I have 2 motors, I didn't impact on anyones day.

I hope you have 2 motors & 2 separate fuel tanks so you don't impact on someones "day out"

Great job goona. Should be more of it

Tony

Nice beat down

OK, I'll cop that, I was a bit harsh. Yes, I suppose an impellor could go without notice even after a full service. And yes, I have had a tow back once after an electrical problem which was also immediately after a service (cost me $50 plus two crab pots to the guy that towed me back). I'm not saying its impossible but, to me, at least two of the problems I saw over the weekend were avoidable. I'm also not talking about properly maintained boats, I'm talking about the boats that are obviously poorly maintained or poorly cared for.

The boat that went out with fuel problems - I was watching them have trouble starting it before they left - the signs were there. After they got towed back to the ramp, they were having the same problems and then discussing whether to go back out again (now that it was running again). I didn't stay to see the result. As for the turn-over that Goona helped out with, I spoke to the other two fellas and they said the driver was effin' around at the time. Little wonder they were pissed enough to leave him at the ramp, after they'd lost their gear.

But I still stand by what I said about the number of people going out (from DWB) in rickety boats, flaky engines and (I assume) the assumption that someone else will tow them back if they have problems. Fortunately its not that common and it's only in the river. Having said that, I wouldn't hesitate to tow someone back because I do know what it feels like to be stranded.

You can get personal with your responses if you like Tony. I'm not going to have an argument with you about it.

Thanks for your input too Crunchy.

LOL never one to stand on the sidelines Pixie

Haven't really noticed where you stand other than your posts are usually informative, positive or contributing generally to the thread.

I feel bad now

OK, I'll cop that, I was a bit harsh. Yes, I suppose an impellor could go without notice even after a full service. And yes, I have had a tow back once after an electrical problem which was also immediately after a service (cost me $50 plus two crab pots to the guy that towed me back). I'm not saying its impossible but, to me, at least two of the problems I saw over the weekend were avoidable. I'm also not talking about properly maintained boats, I'm talking about the boats that are obviously poorly maintained or poorly cared for.

The boat that went out with fuel problems - I was watching them have trouble starting it before they left - the signs were there. After they got towed back to the ramp, they were having the same problems and then discussing whether to go back out again (now that it was running again). I didn't stay to see the result. As for the turn-over that Goona helped out with, I spoke to the other two fellas and they said the driver was effin' around at the time. Little wonder they were pissed enough to leave him at the ramp, after they'd lost their gear.

But I still stand by what I said about the number of people going out (from DWB) in rickety boats, flaky engines and (I assume) the assumption that someone else will tow them back if they have problems. Fortunately its not that common and it's only in the river. Having said that, I wouldn't hesitate to tow someone back because I do know what it feels like to be stranded.

You can get personal with your responses if you like Tony. I'm not going to have an argument with you about it.

Thanks for your input too Crunchy.
    Hey Pixie, there was absolutely nothing "personal" in it mate, just pointing out things can go south, no matter how well we prepare.

Fair call though if they had trouble starting it, & after a tow discussed heading back out. That's just asking for strife, & yes, wrecking someones day out.

Crunchy, I'll show you what a beat down is one day you knucklehead

Tony

Haven't really noticed where you stand other than your posts are usually informative, positive or contributing generally to the thread.
    hahahahahaha good one. Mods move this to the joke thread

Damn wankicorn's