Thread: Any phone technicians around

Any phone technicians around

Guys,
    Had no home internet while telstra stuff me around no end and now I need to replace my phone line jack. Cant get same one and not on how to connect wires. There are 4 in total, 2 white, 2 blue. See photos.....hopefully. Dont want to pay them $190 to "send out a technician". (its funny how I always feel like a curry after talking to Telstra )
    Jn
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Any phone technicians around

pending on your house, u need find if it a cat 5 or 6 then just play mix and match, most just blue n green wire for phone tone and adsl connection, all the other line is pointless otherwise following will help u

for cat 5
    cat 6

What you have in the original picture is a standard krone phone jack, in the next picture you have a data cat 5 jack.
    Cat 5 can be used for phone by using the blue and blue white connection on the jack (the bottom left 2 terminals on the second picture).
    What you need to do is punch down both blue wires in the blue terminal and both white wires in the blue white terminal.

Hope that helps.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Champion, thanks mate, beofre I have a go, there is no chance of electricution here is there

nope, your all safe, your only problem is dont cut it too short u run out of wire

Where are you? I have both krone and 110 punch down tools for those connectors.

EDIT, just seen you are at byron bay... Bit far for me!

FWIW, both jacks look the same to me. The first one is a krone RJ45, the second looks like some generic one that probably requires a 110 punch down tool. RJ45 has 8 lines (4 pairs), 2 pairs are voice, and 2 are data. From the photo you showed, there is clearly 2 telstra voice lines, no data.

Now, dont cock it up, if you dont get the same pair in the same place, phones and ADSL internet will not work. The second pair is usually installed for fax services or a second phone line.

BTW, Telstra is responsible for the incoming copper to the first phone jack, and it should cost you nothing to that point.

Quote Originally Posted by JEWIENEWIE View Post
    Guys,
    Had no home internet while telstra stuff me around no end and now I need to replace my phone line jack. Cant get same one and not on how to connect wires. There are 4 in total, 2 white, 2 blue. See photos.....hopefully. Dont want to pay them $190 to "send out a technician". (its funny how I always feel like a curry after talking to Telstra )
    Jn
    Yea mate I am a tech there is only phone and adsl ... The first is probably your first socket it is already connected properly the second as mentioned connect white and blue to bottom left its that easy you could use a fine flat screw driver to connect them or pay $200
    happy days ahead summer is coming

Quote Originally Posted by TheRealAndy View Post
    BTW, Telstra is responsible for the incoming copper to the first phone jack, and it should cost you nothing to that point.
    Bingo but by the looks of it the first set is already working and depending on who you get will be whether you pay or not?

Quote Originally Posted by mitc69 View Post
    nope, your all safe, your only problem is dont cut it too short u run out of wire
    Touch the wire and call your number just for fun? Or get the missus to hold it

Jsmfun wins. Spot on. Do you need work?

Quote Originally Posted by Jsmfun View Post
    Yea mate I am a tech there is only phone and adsl ... The first is probably your first socket it is already connected properly the second as mentioned connect white and blue to bottom left its that easy you could use a fine flat screw driver to connect them or pay $200
    Also the back of a Stanley knife blade or you can buy a $5-10 cable stripper/punch down tool from most electrical wholesalers. Doesn't really work on Krone jacks as they are angled where you punch the wires down. They do work on them but tend to stuff the jacks up at times.

This jack is also angled where the wire goes. Can I buy a punch down tool for it. Want to get it right first time so I dont need to cut wire again and run out......
    Jn

Quote Originally Posted by JEWIENEWIE View Post
    This jack is also angled where the wire goes. Can I buy a punch down tool for it. Want to get it right first time so I dont need to cut wire again and run out......
    Jn
    idel electrical or somewhere like that will sell a punch down tool $40 and the punch dowm tool should be fine for both skts as thats all i use on all skts