Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which one for the bay ... Formosa or Bluefin bowrider?

Question Which one for the bay ... Formosa or Bluefin bowrider?

This is a really tough one and I invite the experience, knowledge and opinions of my fellow forumers to help solve this ... or at least to make some interesting reading for others that are sure to follow!

I have scoured the market for a family friendly bay islands cruiser that is also suitable for water sports and in-shore fishing - and have, for a variety of reasons which is not material in this thread, narrowed my choice down to a +-5.2m Bowrider from either Bluefin or Formosa. Both are locally manufactured, provide a choice of models (e.g. Bluefin Sports, Formosa Tomahawk or Sea Rod etc.), and have a list of custom options to please and deplete anyone's wallet.
    They are both really good looking, well made, good quality brands, with each one produced being unique, almost custom.
    Sadly you will be hard pressed to see one on a vendor floor, let alone test drive it, as they are manufactured and delivered to order. That is good for the brand, not so good for me, looking to make up my mind!

Who out there has had experience with these specific bowriders and can please provide any views and facts that can help me get off the fence on this one?

Thanks in advance

Re: Which one for the bay ... Formosa or Bluefin bowrider?

Big difference between the two boats you are looking at, one is a Hybrid plate boat (formosa) and the other is a production pressed boat! so keep that in mind.

Also worth checking out these guys http://marinetune.com/new/boat/2016-...e-bowrider-809

Thanks Boatie, I was aware of that difference and am probably leaning towards the Formosa for the added strength, weight and expected ride comfort - especially the Tomahawk with the aluminium deck.

not much to say, mate got a formosa bow rider, abit wet otherwise ride is to be expected from aluminium boat... think it come down to the option they have that suit your need

There has been a recent thread(s) about timber flooring going soft and buckling - this is not something that the particular manufacturer in that thread has all to themselves but is relative to all manufacturers that don't seal the timber prior to fitment of carpet. A mate is also facing this scenario at the minute albeit with a slightly older boat (7-8 years) but the boat is stored in a shed and allowed to dry every time prior to being put away with the hatches removed to allow air circulation. In short - if your preferred option is also the one with the alloy floor I would be very much inclined to go that way

Thanks mitc, that's good feedback
    In an ideal world, what would you change on your boat to improve the ride and stay dryer?
    What's the spec of your br?

Cheers

Thanks for soaking your worms here Scottar! That soft floor is no good; hopefully the newer models have it sorted, but yeah, an aluminium deck would remove that worry.

it gonna be wet if it not half cabin, cant change that.. from port of brisbane to tangalooma cruising at 20knot if you dont have full canopy you'll enjoy the salt, otherwise if u do, expect about 2-4L of water
    only problem he had seats sofa on the side of the bow, or back support i guess, it get moldy fast, smelly, wear out really fast and you make sure no salt build up behind it, so you'll need extra care and washing
    i know it tomhawk with a 115 honda as for other spec, not my boat so wouldnt no what option he threw in it, he was talking about trim tabs last week, dont no if he went ahead and got it hopefully that giva u idea

Cool Re: Which one for the bay ... Formosa or Bluefin bowrider?

Thanks mitc; I guess that'll always be the trade off with a Bowrider. Starting to wonder about this now ...

Bow riders are very divisive people love the idea but often the end result doesn't match the ideal. If you're leaning in that direction but haven't had an extended ride on one, contact your local Boab Boat hire and see if they have one. With 16 degree deadrise (from memory) and heavy duty commercial construction the ride on the boab boat will be at least as good as the boats you're considering so $300 half day hire is probably worth the experiment before handing over thousands on a new toy.

I had a 5.2 Formosa centre console. Absolutely loved it. Duncan ( I think if memory serves me ) from Formosa is a nice guy and happy to help. Really worth a look at them.

u can always give it a test ride in springwood if there up for it, anyway here a short list of my personally thought on boat type it might lead u

bowrider = singles with friends and chicks lol,
    terrible fishing platform, great for ski, deathwish over 70km off shore
    half cabin = families, great fishing platform, no good for ski or creeks, limited to 200km offshore
    tinnie = duo trip, good for steams, rivers, and hardcore 10km offshores
    cat = seriously fishermen, great for rivers / creeks
    runabout = solo fishermen,

I have an American fiberglass one. They are different to the aluminum ones - to my eye at least and I have never been in one so perhaps my view is not helpful. I don't get wet to Tangalooma in any weather I would enjoy the day in....that's the key. Pick your weather. Under 12 knot wind and watch the northerlies. It tends to stay home this time of year.
    If you want an all weather boat or something to specifically chase fish, plenty of advice on good alternatives on this forum.
    I like mine.

Thanks for all the good points and advice. I'm guessing that a heavier plate boat with allu deck will not only smooth the ride, but also dampen some of the hull-slap associated with allu boats.
    First prize for all weather and fishing is a cabinet version, but the ball-and-chain will only agree to a bow version. I won't try to tame the hight seas and agree wholeheartedly with TRPM tat you gotta choose your weather. They do however offer an option of a bowcover and clear screens to fill the gaps between the bimini and windscreen - which would likely take care of most of the spray when caught by unexpected weather.
    I keep on listening, thanks boys 😀

Ausfish Silver Member Swanie1975's Avatar

Old Haines signature bowrider, only a 530 so not big. Fish out to the 36s comfortably and have never felt unsafe but then I do pick good forecasts and conditions to do so. Usually fish two out the back with bait and one up the front can use plastics if they desire( I don't judge lol). One day was spent chasing bust ups and flicking lures at them from the front, great days enjoyment from that.

crabbing in creeks and broadwater with the leg trimmed up not probs either, only need a couple of feet to get in and out for pots. Gets a bit messy but access from the bow is great for this.

only got four young kids but the older three love sitting up the front even when lumpy and copping the odd spray, a clear strip from screen to the Bimini would stop this if it bothered them or me.

wifes not that keen on boats anyway but she always has a great time when I do get her out, nothing like having dolphins jumping alongside the bow to make her day out.

have never taken water over the front but then again I don't drive like a muppet either. Good luck and hope you manage a water test cos it's the only way to be sure before spending hard earned dosh

cheers Ryan