Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: shackle spam or otherwise

Re: shackle spam or otherwise

A rated shackle is only as good as its last test/inspection , and by an authorized person.
    ANGLER NOT DANGLER

Quote Originally Posted by angler1 View Post
    A rated shackle is only as good as its last test/inspection , and by an authorized person.
    Possibly but if you've ever seen the lads from nobles do a test and tag on a heap of shackles, you come to realise a shackle has to be in a pretty obvious bad way to fail - and that is if you are going to lift things with it in a work place. In that regard, provided it has a valid date stamped test tag, the dogger/rigger is the authorised person and if he/she is doing their job properly, it's last inspection should have been before they started to use it - first thing they teach you.

I suggest that all boaties or any one towing a trailer should read the "Guide" nominated by Triple.

The day has come where we could be held responsible for actions we take with everything we do.

Some one commented it would not be worth the debate with authority personnel about a suspect shackle.

Next time you are at a boat ramp have a good look at some of the connections. Some people just don't think.

And or some of the trailers, remember these rigs are on the road travelling with you.

Have fun Haji-Baba

Quote Originally Posted by scottar View Post
    Guess you use a rated hammerlock but as my trailer doesn't use short link, two tonne shackles fit it easily. With a ATM of 2800 kg, by the towing guide, it uses a chain to a different Australian standard than the one mentioned for 3500 + using short link T grade. I can only assume that Mayfairs being a reputable trailer manufacturer were familiar with the requirements at date of manufacture with my trailer and welded on chains that met legal requirements for the ATM. Like I said - they can deal with it if I've been sold something not fit for purpose. I haven't measured it but it is at least 10mm chain possibly 12 mm which should be around a 1200kg WLL (5000 Kg Breaking Strain) as a rough figure which should be enough - even when you don't allow for the second one.
    The chain might be rated and I have a Mayfair as well but isn't the chain weakened either side of the weld so the rating would need to drop accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Dignity View Post
    The chain might be rated and I have a Mayfair as well but isn't the chain weakened either side of the weld so the rating would need to drop accordingly.
    Quite possibly Dignity - without destructive testing who knows (I'm not volunteering to find out either) but as an end user we can only assume that a trailer marketed by a reputable manufacturer is fitted with chains that are adequate in both their rating and attachment for the ATM that the manufacturer has specified. If, as a result of an investigation into an accident, it was found that this was not the case, I would think that the consumer would have recourse over the manufacturer under the grounds of the trailer not being fit for purpose. As for the shackle - assuming you didn't build your own trailer, or modify the safety chain set up from factory, it is the only point of connection that the end user has any control over. I personally don't see the point in either having to debate it's suitability or possibly void insurance and open myself to any liability in the case of an incident for the paltry sum involved. The wording in the towing guide has changed from the previous edition and has now IMO opened the door for enforcement personnel to issue on the spot fines. While I am sure this is not aimed at someone that has an obviously adequate sized but unmarked shackle, we have all either had experience with or heard the stories of enforcement personnel "revenue raising" courtesy of relatively unknown obscure laws or questionable interpretation of the law. Why anyone would want to give them the opportunity and then have to go through the hassle and expense of having to defend yourself is beyond me when the outlay to rectify the issue is so minor in comparison to what we spend using our boats anyway. Each to their own though - my initial post was purely to provide the fact that the guide has changed and as such, depending on the individuals interpretation, the flyer may be correct - we each have the right to do with that information what we wish.