Thread: Breaksea Spit Crossing

Breaksea Spit Crossing

I am planning a trip out past the Breaksea banks in the next few weeks, when conditions prevail, starting from Urangan and overnighting off Rooneys. As I haven't been across the banks before I am wanting to know the best courses to take i.e near the spit and at intervals along the banks . Any help of recent info and/or GPS course co-ordinates (either side of the bank) would be appreciated.

Re: Breaksea Spit Crossing

Quote Originally Posted by brooksie87 View Post
    I am planning a trip out past the Breaksea banks in the next few weeks, when conditions prevail, starting from Urangan and overnighting off Rooneys. As I haven't been across the banks before I am wanting to know the best courses to take i.e near the spit and at intervals along the banks . Any help of recent info and/or GPS course co-ordinates (either side of the bank) would be appreciated.
    We crossed the spit in November for the first time without gps marks. There are a lot of passages through the bar. When you get close you can see them. We crossed about 3-4nm North in a deep channel so when we returned at low tide it was an easy run back in.

Ric.

Thanks Ric. Great Boat you built there.

By the way how was the fishing? Did you go out to the shelf and stay overnight or come back inside to Rooneys.

hey Brooksie the break-sea spit is a very hard to predict place and in perfect weather its a comfortable crossing as long as you respect it and treat with caution, i have been lucky enough not to there in average or poor conditions so i cant share my experiences in those conditions.
    I am more then happy to give you our crossing co-ordinates which are current in November 2015 and we cross in four different crossings at the same time every year, so please txt me and ill forward you the marks if that helps??
    Regards Jim 0418748023

I am a bit of sook when it comes to crossing that bar. I chose the close to beach option,only about 200 meters.It is a very short crossing and in good conditions very safe. Thing is there would be only about .6 to 1mtr of water in the channel at dead low tide..... but you can work your crossings around that. The crossings further north are longer to cross and yes,probably deeper water and therefore safer, but I like the idea of 20 - 30 seconds and you are on the other side and looking for fish.

I also take into consideration the fuel/ distance.... the further north you cross, the more distance you travel and less fishing time you have.

Plenty of fish up there and plenty of sharks....

cheers LP
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

Thanks Guys for replying. Will send in a report after trip.

Brooksie

I cross and fish around the 13 mile crossing and find it pretty good to cross, but have only crossed it in good weather.

Hi Brooksie,
    I did a delivery that took me through there recently. Not knowing the spit that well but with good electronics I'd err on the side of caution as I did. I took the 4 mile crossing for maximum depth without having to go too far nth to go into my next stop at Bundy. I had a stiff 25 sthly and it was not an issue getting through with 4-5m of water min. most of the way through. Just be sensible, if your worried, don't do it. I've been up the outside of the spit a few times and the area changes dramatically with different wind and current conditions. Just watch the tides, the current can be savage on big tides and set you toward banks. So use care and common sense and you'll nail it.
    mark

Fishtragic

Cheers for replying. Yes, 've got very good electrics and have safety as a priority.

Can you post the crossing co-ordinates?

Jim

Could you send me the marks asap? Cheers.

Brooksie,
    As the name implies the 4 mile crossing is close enough to 4 miles nth of the nth tip of the Island. I went through at about 24 38.500S but you need to pick your own path (weather and tide variations, ECDIS datum etc.). It's fairly wide, Nth to Sth, so sit and think about it before you commit. Read some of the posts from more experienced locals on here, there's no substitute for local knowledge. My trip may not be the best to make decisions by, it was at 20 knots in a 53' vessel. Phills' advice is probably more pertinent especially if it's good conditions.
    Mark

Brooksie.

Here are the gps marks for the 4 mile crossing that I posted for the 2014 M&G. Use them as a guide only as they are now 18 months old, and I have not bothered to fish up that way in the last year due to the continuing current that has plagued us up there over the past two years.. Been too busy going to 1770 and other venues where the fishing has been a bit easier. The 4 mile crossing does not alter to a great degree, with mainly the western end moving north or south as sand moves with the currents and wind. Take your time and have a good look around as you approach the western end of the crossing and make sure you have the entrance lined up before you commit. Once inside the crossing it rarely gets shallower than 4 metres and is usually a good 100 metres wide right the way through.

Main things to remember is that you are a long way from help if things go wrong and you are own your own. If there is a big swell pumping, then think twice about going across the bar. I have been crossing the breaksea through the 4 mile in small boats for around 25 years now and not had any problems.

4 Mile Crossing marks from West to East:

24 39 003
    153 15 999

24 38 828
    153 16 309

24 38 807
    153 16 574

24 39 018
    153 16 815

24 39 193
    153 17 177

24 39 270
    153 17 423

24 39 373
    153 17 689

cheers

Jeff

Cheers Jeff.

A mate or my fathers John, went out on a charter from Hervey Bay about 4 years ago and crossed the bar on what he described as a calm day.... A wave stood up in front of them... The skipper didn't see it and didn't take any evasive action.... Everyone was in the wheelhouse except John and everyone was left sprawled on the floor as well as having head aches from hitting the roof....unfortunately John was out the back and got lifted off his feet and landed on his tailbone on the corner of an esky....Despite being in agony the skipper still had plans to finish the trip until one of the other crew members, who happened to also be a cop had a word to him and told him to go back in! He ended up with 2 fractured vertebrae and due to his age his offshore fishing days are over..... I crossed it for the first time with Ric in November and I was happy to see that calm torqouis water on the other side.... Won't stop me from going again though!

Dont forget to log on and off with VMR when you cross it.
    Fishing- It's only an addiction if you're trying to quit.