Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Best of older fibreglass boats

Re: Best of older fibreglass boats

I ended up married to a 70's model old savage

I'm hearing you Crunchy, thinking about replacing the transom in my 1960 model but I don't know if she'll handle it.

I have recently done a full refurb on a 16' 6" Cruise Craft Reef Raider.
    New 25" transom, new floor, extra storage under floor and under bunks, repairs and new paint job
    These are a fabulous boat.
    I'll let the pictures tell the story.

Glen ReefRaider Delivery 005.jpgGlen ReefRaider Delivery 006.jpgGlen ReefRaider Delivery 008.jpgGlen ReefRaider Delivery 011.jpgReef raider 3.jpgReef raider 13.jpg

Ive had a haines v16c ...and for the last ten years a 565L ..

My thoughts...

1.dont do a boat up unless you want to own and use it for a long period of time cos dollarwise it wont be worth it...ie if your not sure what boat to get .you aint ready to start..

2. yes the floor stringers and transom will be suspect so assume you will have to replace them..

3.If the motor is original probably factor in a newer or new one as well..

4.The trailer may need some serious attention so leave a few dollars for that..

dont worry about things like stability at rest and things like that.....think through how you can run a project and where and what help you will need to bring it to completion in a given time.Otherwise its you who will have stability at rest problems..every night ..otherwise good luck!!

Quote Originally Posted by inveratta View Post

My thoughts...

1.dont do a boat up unless you want to own and use it for a long period of time cos dollarwise it wont be worth it...ie if your not sure what boat to get .you aint ready to start..

2. yes the floor stringers and transom will be suspect so assume you will have to replace them..

dont worry about things like stability at rest and things like that.....think through how you can run a project and where and what help you will need to bring it to completion in a given time.Otherwise its you who will have stability at rest problems..every night ..otherwise good luck!!
    Very well put, couldn't agree more.

Quote Originally Posted by inveratta View Post

My thoughts...

I agree entirely with these comments.

Refurbishing a boat involves a lot of effort and expense, most often including stringers, floor and transom.
    Then there is the electrics, deck fittings, seats etc etc.
    It will also usually include replacing the outboard and replacement or serious work on the trailer.

I have done three of these complete refurbishments of Cruise Craft Reef Raiders, in each case using only the fibreglass shell, and replacing everything else. In each case the boats were done for a particular person who wanted a new boat in every regard, but based on this classic hull. This boat offers excellent seaworthiness, shelter, room and versatility. I have owned several different Cruise Craft models over the last 40 years, and have a very good idea of what will be a seaworthy and capable boat that is easy to handle, for me, as a retirement boat.

I have also owned two Haines Hunters, and while they do give a slightly softer ride, they are much narrower and therefore have much less useable space for the particular overall length. For me, this is a real disadvantage.

A boat refurbished to the level shown in my photos above is not financially viable unless you can do the work yourself. Labour costs would render such a job impossible. The cost of materials is reasonable, but expensive items like the engine will mean that you will not be able to get your money back if you sell in the short term. In the longer term, your use of the boat will amortise the cost, and the much lower comparative cost will be make such a refurb much more cost-effective than a new boat. But you must know exactly what you want, and be prepared to keep for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by cro142 View Post
    I have recently done a full refurb on a 16' 6" Cruise Craft Reef Raider.
    New 25" transom, new floor, extra storage under floor and under bunks, repairs and new paint job
    These are a fabulous boat.
    I'll let the pictures tell the story.

Glen ReefRaider Delivery 005.jpgGlen ReefRaider Delivery 006.jpgGlen ReefRaider Delivery 008.jpgGlen ReefRaider Delivery 011.jpgReef raider 3.jpgReef raider 13.jpg
    That looks awesome! Good work!

Yeah that refurb is just beautiful. I love the Reef Raiders and looked at heaps before I found a competitively priced plate ally in the same size.
    There were a couple I really wanted but they had soft spots in the floor.