Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What fluid New Wet Box 1 Kw Transducer

What fluid New Wet Box 1 Kw Transducer

image.jpgSo like some advice for the best fluid for this. I have taken a TM 260 transom mount and removed the mounting assembly. Then bolted it jnside this new box, as there are bolting nuts built in the top of it.
    advice?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "let not he boast who puts his armor on, as he who takes it off"

Re: What fluid New Wet Box 1 Kw Transducer

parafin.. i use babyoil

Marine outfitting solutions
    www.moosemarine.com.au

Glycerine or castor oil.

Airmar, who make the M260, recommend antifreeze.

http://faq.airmar.com/index.php?acti...=12&artlang=en

I just used water from the tap and still works after 8 years .
    NOW I,AM GUNNA EATCHA

Quote Originally Posted by team_mongo View Post
    Airmar, who make the M260, recommend antifreeze.

http://faq.airmar.com/index.php?acti...=12&artlang=en
    I was going to say we used ethylene glycol (or propylene glycol for the food industry) for ultrasonic transducers used to measure fluid depth and turbidity. The fluid is called a couplant BTW. Not sure about the transducer in question, but the benefit of using ethylene glycol (antifreeze) is that its also good at transferring heat away from high powered transducers.

Mind you, I have also seen all sorts of stuff used in the industry, including plain old axle grease.

Sorry to get a bit off topic Odes but where will you mount the wet box and why have you gone away from the transom mount? I am assuming this will then shoot through your hull?? What are the advantages of this?

Sorry for all the questions! I currently have a transom mounted TM 260.

Nice looking job on the box Odes. Do NOT use vegetable oil - will kill transducers. I have heard of all of the other suggestions being used at various times without issue. Personally have predominantly used water - cheap and their is generally plenty of it around should your box develop a leak and you need to top it up when using the boat. If their isn't plenty of it you have bigger issues. Also easy to clean up in the same situation. One thing to keep in mind is that if your boat is likely to ever get into areas where below freezing temperatures may be experienced, water is not a suitable medium - will possibly destroy things as it tries to get out of the box.

Quote Originally Posted by scottar View Post
    Nice looking job on the box Odes. Do NOT use vegetable oil - will kill transducers. I have heard of all of the other suggestions being used at various times without issue. Personally have predominantly used water - cheap and their is generally plenty of it around should your box develop a leak and you need to top it up when using the boat. If their isn't plenty of it you have bigger issues. Also easy to clean up in the same situation. One thing to keep in mind is that if your boat is likely to ever get into areas where below freezing temperatures may be experienced, water is not a suitable medium - will possibly destroy things as it tries to get out of the box.
    Thanks Scottar
    Im fairly confident it wont freeze ln me here in Cairns. I was mostly leaning toward water and as you say, there is no shortage and as you say i can top up thru the bung ive installed.
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by scottar View Post
    One thing to keep in mind is that if your boat is likely to ever get into areas where below freezing temperatures may be experienced, water is not a suitable medium - will possibly destroy things as it tries to get out of the box.
    Probably why airmar recommends antifreeze. Lots of USA gets below 0.

Quote Originally Posted by joffo81 View Post
    Sorry to get a bit off topic Odes but where will you mount the wet box and why have you gone away from the transom mount? I am assuming this will then shoot through your hull?? What are the advantages of this?

Sorry for all the questions! I currently have a transom mounted TM 260.
    No thats a good question! Ive had a Airmar P66 600 watt glued in the same position for years with Sikaflex, so i get a good reading there. Its about 300 mm forward of the stern or transom in my fibreglass 20 ft Yalta. Just bought a new 620 Furuno, and got access to a TM 260 in good nick for $600. So as know it reads well there, i installed the 1 kw in its box in that position. I have moved the P66 to the other side of the keel and it will remain as backup.
    Its so good not having to worry about damaging the Tranny out the back especially coming in to shore around islands beaches etc, where its easy to shove them into the sand and corally beach . Being a fiberglass boat it gives me that option, and even with the P66 i get a great image underway, so in the deep the 1 kw should be beaut.
    Cheers

Thanks Odes. I like the idea and will put some thought into possibly moving my own transducer. I definitely agree that it would be one less thing to think about when launching/beaching the vessel. I guess you're lucky that you already know the position that you should get a good reading from! Trial and error would be required by me!
    Good luck with the install and let us all know how your readings are when you are done.

So Joffo its really not that hard. Generally at the back of the boat where you are getting constant clean water flow will work.

if you are happy with where your Transom mount is reading
    just try the closest access to that inside the hull.

It would be good if you could run the P66 and the TM 260 at the same time or swap them over when required.

The cone angle on the P66 is great for shallow water and the TM260 only really comes in to its own in 100m- of course it reads the bottom brilliantly, but only very small sections at a time due to its 6 deg cone

Quote Originally Posted by koastal View Post
    It would be good if you could run the P66 and the TM 260 at the same time or swap them over when required.

The cone angle on the P66 is great for shallow water and the TM260 only really comes in to its own in 100m- of course it reads the bottom brilliantly, but only very small sections at a time due to its 6 deg cone
    So koastal, how would it be doing drifts in 60 metre water in the 50 khz freq. ?