Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Mini Fat Lap.. April to June 2016

Cool The Mini Fat Lap.. April to June 2016

Howd'y folks, well the trip has been set. Opposed to my earlier ramblings I am now doing a mini trip across the north.

Basically leaving Brisvegas and heading NW to the Isa and up to Lawnhill NP. Then to the bottom of the Gulf and up the western edge. From Roper River , there across to Derby / Broome and onto Kunanara . Then the fun begins with a Tanami Desert trek down to Alice and onto Birdsville, Camerons Corner and home. Many stops in between. Yep,,, Horizontal Falls at Talbot Bay, some historical sites, Lake Argyle and more.

About 16,000k's and 2 months to complete.

I have sorted the Collie with only a couple of things to do.

Installed the draws, gas cooker etc. Rods racks, mattress storage. The Rhino roof rack is on as are the Rhino roof racks on the Cab for the solar panel. That panel will charge the 2 Lithium batteries in the back which will power the Invertors, shower, fridge, compressor etc. A new Hema HN7 is now added. Go Pro and Dash cam organised. New rear suspension will be H/D Outback Armour. A new set of Maxxis 980's going on soon

The Foxwing awning goes on soon and I am sleeping in a Stretcher Tent.

A complete servicing kit will be taken including obvious spares. Recovery kit etc.

I had a chat with the others that are doing this trip a week or so ago, and all is good. It appears there will be 4 vehicles going, at this stage. Camper Trailers and a boat are coming

Departing last week of April............

cheers LP
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

Re: The Mini Fat Lap.. April to June 2016

Nice one.

Did similar route (but not the western Qld) several years ago and it is most memorable.

Plenty of great places once you get into NT and WA.

I am trying hard to join you guys on this one Phill. Got a meeting with my business partners on Wednesday, hoping we can come to some sort of agreement. Only problem is, its possibly in a crucial time for once of our potential contracts.. hard call.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRealAndy View Post
    I am trying hard to join you guys on this one Phill. Got a meeting with my business partners on Wednesday, hoping we can come to some sort of agreement. Only problem is, its possibly in a crucial time for once of our potential contracts.. hard call.
    I am alone in the Collie.... you can fly into Broome and meet up with us for the last leg of the trip

cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky_Phill View Post
    I am alone in the Collie.... you can fly into Broome and meet up with us for the last leg of the trip

cheers
    Linda mentioned that. I was going to buy a car already set up for the journey, then flog it off afterwards as it would have been cheaper than setting up my car. Then she mentioed you were going, and that maybe I could hitch a ride with your or backseat with her and brad. I will have an answer tomorrow hopefully, although I just noticed one of my business partners has sent off a quote for this big contract, so maybe I have no chance.

The only thing you seem to be lacking is time. 2 months is not enough!

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Unicorn View Post
    The only thing you seem to be lacking is time. 2 months is not enough!
    This is only a reckie......... serious touring starts next year

LP

You will kick yourself if you don't go to Kalumburu. Slight detour of 270km to town and further 25km to Honeymoon bay from the Gibb river road.
    AB

I have heard of it Andrew and may still yet get there

cheers

Yeah have a good look around the Kimberly there are some outstanding places up that way,sounds like a great trip enjoy . Matt
    A bad days fishing has got to be better than any day at work......

Jesus, that's a fair old trip on your own in the car......mind you, sometimes being solo can be good too, realise there is other cars) but it's still a loooong way.

Phill,

I stayed there for 3 weeks a couple of years ago in late Sept early Oct.
    Drop me a pm if you want some more info.
    AB

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewB View Post
    Phill,

I stayed there for 3 weeks a couple of years ago in late Sept early Oct.
    Drop me a pm if you want some more info.
    Andrew,
    We are going after Phil - Wife and child. We are spending 16 weeks through the Kimberley dry season 2017. What's the attraction of Kalamburu?
    Brett

Jack capital of the world.
    Apparently mackerel pretty good around August.
    I had one day when we were slowly driving into a new creek not wanting to run into any submerged surprises and was standing up with my lure hanging off the rod tip and occasionally dipping into and out of the water when a school of Trevally came up wanting to eat the lure. Plenty more stories like this. Honeymoon bay also has option to moor boats on endless pulley system so boat in water the whole time. Fuel & clean water available in town as well as basic supplies, but pretty expensive.
    Unlike most of the Kimberley only 2 m tides and the water is pretty clean thus less handbags but virtually no mudcrabs and very few Barra.
    We planned on staying 2 weeks but stayed for 3 and was disappointed not to have been able to stay longer.
    Road in progressively gets worse and last 100km is 1st and 2nd gear only so less fishing pressure. In winter a fair few tourist from what we were told but while we were there the last 2 weeks had 1 or 0 other campers. As of start of October the Kimberley starts closing down and the less people the better from my perspective.
    During our trip in Kimberley, Kalumburu was the best spot from our perspective. Only problem is I haven't had chance to return, there are a fair few that do on a regular basis. Shhh don't tell anyone our secret.
    AB

Sorry forgot to mention the black lip oysters
    AB