Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The Mini Fat Lap.. April to June 2016

Re: The Mini Fat Lap.. April to June 2016

Close enough to 38 hrs to blast off.

Last minute packing including the X-Terra metal detector and even some Rare Earth Magnets.

I'll post up a pic of the Collie soon.

cheers LP
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

Mate,
    I'm jealous and we are following you with gusto. We've started initial planing for our trip next year. It will be interesting to see how much water there still is up there this time of year.
    Leanne wants the roof top camper as she's freaked out by the thought of crocs.
    I'm started searching out manufacturers for the ally I beam trailer for the boat and the hard top canopy for the Dodge.
    When you're back you'll have to come down for a debrief and a good ol fashion slide show.
    Brett Leanne and Harrison

Bugman - I would not take an ally trailer to the Kimberley.
    AB

Quote Originally Posted by bugman View Post
    Mate,
    I'm jealous and we are following you with gusto. We've started initial planing for our trip next year. It will be interesting to see how much water there still is up there this time of year.
    Leanne wants the roof top camper as she's freaked out by the thought of crocs.
    I'm started searching out manufacturers for the ally I beam trailer for the boat and the hard top canopy for the Dodge.
    When you're back you'll have to come down for a debrief and a good ol fashion slide show.
    Brett Leanne and Harrison
    Yep, I'll be up for a over-nighter down your way

I am no tech head, but have a Go Pro, Dash Cam, Camera that does videos and the mobile phone........ so I should ( if I remember ) get some footage / photos , but I am more likely to take notes.

Tell Leanne to stop thinking about crocs. simple.

I understand they will be around and we are in a 3.5mtr tinnie, so we'll be keeping an eye out during the day, and at night... ?? I 'll sleep

I will take note of any i beam ally trailers up that way to see if they survive

cheers

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewB View Post
    Bugman - I would not take an ally trailer to the Kimberley.
    Why? Can I ask

TE=bugman;1613450]Why? Can I ask[/QUOTE]

They will fall apart if you plan on taking them offroad. Most of the dirt roads are pretty well maintained but depends on what part of the grading cycle ,you can have dirt roads like highways or the total opposite and they can be very unforgiving, ally will fall apart on most dirt roads.
    AB

How did the trip go? Did you do a blog or anything that the general public can see?
    Cheers

Steven

Quote Originally Posted by StevenM View Post
    How did the trip go? Did you do a blog or anything that the general public can see?
    Well, I lasted about 2 weeks.

the story is:-With my alarm set for 4am, I awoke at 3.58am, of course. Into the Colorado and away I went. Just 5 minutes up the road, I realised I had forgotten some paperwork and permits, so did a quick scoot back to Club Algona and on my way again.
    Traveling on the Gateway Motorway where it merges with the Logan Motorway, I am about 100 mtrs behind a taxi and there is another taxi in the left hand lane about to merge. Both seemed to want to give way to each other so much so, that they slow to around 67kph and almost collide. There are 3 vehicles only on this road and yet 2 of them have no idea. Get me out of here !
    Cruise control on and comfortably motoring along near Gatton, I see a vehicle on the roadside… damn, that looked like Brad. ? So, I continue for another few K’s to find a turn around spot and head back. Thought I saw them driving, so I called up on the UHF and yep, it was them. They had some alarms off in the car and stopped to check on things.
    Brad loves to drive and although he has a Toyota V8 Troop Carrier and towing a 2 ton camper trailer, he makes good time and I eventually catch up to him in Toowoomba. We make a stop at Chinchilla for some breakfast and fuel at about 1.15pm.On the road again to arrive at our first overnight destination of Charleville. I book into a cabin ( $90 ) and B & L set up the camper. Somehow we missed dinner but went to the Cosmos Centre for our guided tour and star-gazing. ( $30 ). For me, this was interesting at best, but not what I would normally do and no need to do it again. We looked through a telescope at some distant stars, Jupiter and our Moon.
    Today I discover one of the lids on my jerry cans is missing. So with no hope of finding one or buying one , I enquire about a new jerry… $29.00. Didn’t get one as I figured I don’t need to fuel these up for quiet a few days and may get lucky and find a lid.
    Cloncurry greeted us and time for fuel ( $1.09 ) and check out jerry prices.. $47.00. Doh !
    The next stop as advised was Corella Dam some distance before Mt Isa as it is a “ free camp “. Thing is, the sign into here states something completely different. Camp set up and use my stretcher tent for the first time. Works a treat, happy camper , I am.
    Fueled up at Mt Isa the next day. ( $1.24 ) and then I get on top of the Collie to fill the 2 jerry’s. Servo attendant comes out and tells me that is not allowed and I have to place the jerry’s on the ground. In disgust, I replace lids and get down from the front of the car, stepping on the bonnet and denting it. Damn ! I later found out, that refueling jerry’s can be done and the rule “ on the ground “ only applies to unleaded fuels. Double Damn ! Jerry cans here are $49.00. The next part of the trip sees us hit the dirt roads into Adels Grove. This is located near Lawn Hill National Park some 400k’s north of Mt Isa. We visit the office, get the low down and set up camp by the water where there is a swing rope and pontoon.Fuel here is $1.53/ltr and a limit of $50, which is not good as we were expecting to refuel here for the next leg of the journey. After some info gathering, I find out we can get fuel further up the road at our next destination and I get my $50 worth and have a Cider. I am unsure what the attraction is here at Adel’s Grove ? We took a short drive to Lawn Hill Gorge and walked the 7 k round trip track. Views from the top were good, .The next morning saw me cook some French Toast for breakfast which went down a treat. At this stage I must mention the flies and toads. Yolande gave me a head net and said I would need it for the desert areas, but it came in handy here. I utilized the Fly Cream I got from SA, but it only works for about 20 minutes and providing you don’t sweat. Some swimming today and exploring and then time for dinner. I had a Caesar Salad which went 8 / 10 and a cider or two. I had internet service here at one specific location and used it to check emails. The bird life around here is prolific with Kingfishers, Willy WagTails, Hawks, Turtle Doves, Carpentaria Wrens, PeeWees and Magpies, Crows of course . The toads are getting HUGE !
    With this being one of the last opportunities for a meal cooked by someone else, I indulged in Barra & Chips. Bugga………. It was battered and tasted like oil. The morning had me waking up to a “ Barking Owl “….. so after a cuppa we headed to our next stop of Kingfisher Camp, or KFC as the signs along the way stated. We arrived at noon to find the staff telling us this place will close at the end of May. But, canoe hire here is $10/hr. Brad and I threw some crab pots in and tossed around some lures for a while. Did I mention the flies ? KFC is situated on a 5k long billabong and is supposed to be a fishermans paradise. After a reasonable nights sleep we trotted off back onto the dirt roads towards Hells Gate for fuel. $1.50/ltr. The Savanah Way was not too bad with speeds constantly being 90 – 105kph except for “ dips & corners “, and cattle and graders and oncoming traffic and creek crossings. Did I mention the flies ? Fueled up and off we go and I take the lead to arrive at Manangoora at 1.15pm…. Brad arrives at 2.22pm. ?? Did I mention the flies ?
    We walk into the shed to pay our fees and get the low down. Hand guns, bullets, rifles, smokes etc lay around on tables and the fees are $25/vehicle/night. No low down, no map, no info……… WTF ! So we head off to find a camp site that will suit us for the next couple of days. The place is a rubbish tip. Old chairs, boxes, crab pots, ironing tables, crates, drums, fishing line and general rubbish abounds. OK, this stuff is left by fishermen previously, but there is no such thing as maintenance of site etc. Our camp is set near a boat slide ( ramp ) and time for a fish. The tinnie removed and set up, off we go. Crab pots set. On the 10th cast at some log I nail a Barra. Get it to the boat and Brad is still trying to unravel the landing net and gaff and grips etc, but in the end he grabs the leader and my
    first lure caught Barra, makes his way back to the log, albeit with my Vibe lure in his gob  We also trolled for a few k’s with no result. Back at camp it is time for a feed and drink. Did I mention the flies ? Brad has been cast-netting mullet and setting live baits for a while. Overall he catches Fingermark, Salmon, Shark, Catfish, Barra. Some Cod were caught using a lure. This night had Brumbies and Pigs in our camping area making all sorts of noises. The morning greeted us with the sound of thousands of Galahs flying, feeding and fraternising. Todays effort saw me nail a 700mm Queenie on a Gold Bomber lure and Brad some Cod. We decided to head to the mouth of the river to see what’s doing. Last bend rounded and there are 8 boats in front of us all within an area of 2 footy fields. Frigging Queen st. !! We have a quick troll but leave the hordes to themselves and make our way back to camp tossing lures and trolling……. For nil result. Nil result in the crab pots as well. Did I mention the flies ? A lazy salty was sunbaking not far from our camp, but I was more concerned with the scorpion I found in my bag and the spiders that had iridescent blue eyes at night !
    It is today that I realise I am totally unprepared and under-prepared for this trip and these conditions. I make a list of items I should take or have to do this. It is a long list. This night we had pizza for dinner, but no ordinary one. With olives, onion, salami, sauces, anchovies, cheese and the best part is the fresh RedClaw and Salmon fish chunks…. Not too bad at all Not sure if it is good luck, but I found a cap to fit my jerry can on a discarded drum on the river bank. Pack up in the morning took over 2 hours and it was a late start as well. We started the diesels at 9.15am and off we went.. Back down the dirt roads stopping to open and close gates and arrived at Borroloola to find fuel at $1.53/ltr but didn’t fill up as Cape Crawford was not that far away. The township is pretty much as I remember it when I was last here so 20 years ago..or more ? Visited the old historical Police Station and then hit the bitumen towards our over-night stop at Cape Crawford, which is no where near the coast ! Bugga, should have filled the fuel tanks at Borroloola as it is $1.99/ltr here.
    I booked into a cabin with air con ( $75 ) and B & L set up the camper. They went straight to a chopper ride into the Lost City, but at $300 for the hour, per person, I gave it a miss as we had walked through one not that long ago. I showered and made my way to the bar, which is basically a man cave and the ciders were $8 a bottle ( 5 Seeds ) . I then did a load of clothes washing and met up with B & L and we went back to the bar. Bloody people everywhere after a while as happy hour is upon us. $1 off drinks……. Anyway, met a guy from Maryborough who is riding his Triumph motorbike around the NT etc. Funny thing are all the signs in the bar and a rack of pool cues with no pool table. ? I even managed to view a bit of NRL. This bar is open everyday from 7am to 11pm. Did I mention the flies ?
    We ordered a meal and sat outside where the temp was bearable with a slight breeze about. I had the Kiev…5 / 10. Got some info on the roads we were about to travel on. The next phase is closed and the bit after is “ terrible “. A half decent sleep and with the Buffalo moving away from the area in the morning, after depositing their stuff everywhere, we hit the road bound for Lorella Springs.Once the bitumen ended and the dirt started, it was varying speeds. Several creek crossings, but the creeks were dry, a few surprize corners and small live stock kept us on our toes. We arrived at Lorella Springs about midday and this is the place Brad is so keen to get to as it has it all. Check in was a photocopy of Drivers Licence and everything went “ on the tab “ and you paid when you leave. Did I mention the flies ?
    We get shown a map or 2, some video and photos and away we go. We have to sign in to where we’ll be , as this place is a 1 million acre property… yes 1 mill. Our first destination is Gateway Gorge camp and billabong. #### me…. People camping there, so we move along to the next place, but no go. Found an area that looked OK, but ended up getting bogged in a dry creek bed. I recovered the Troopie with the Colorado and we are off again. Found a campsite at Snapping Handbag Billabong. Set up camp and put the pots in. B & L utilised a small tinnie at the campsite to go for a lure tossing session without luck. My dinner that night was Barra, that Linda caught at Manangoora. I did pass on some to B & L even though Linda doesn’t eat fish, but she loved it. Crumbed it and added some spices and deep fried it.
    After the second night at Lorella Springs, I had to have proper accommodation as the night time temps were around the 32 degrees and we went to bed sweating, not really sleeping and waking up still sweating. I lost 4 kgs in 7 days. I asked for a cabin and I got a 2.5 x 2.5mtr room with a bed and fan for $130/ night. If I wanted air con, that was $250/ night. The photos and info provided by staff at the office was basically bullshit. It seems and in my opinion, all the NT and places like this are worried about is squeezing the tourists wallet. Nothing is as what it was promoted as. Did I mention the flies ?
    I told Brad and Linda that I have been beaten. They understood and wished me a safe journey home. The reality is it was too early in the season to be camping in the NT. Still very hot, but the wet season did not appear and just about all creeks etc were dry. There is no place that is untouched. Everywhere we went, and we went to some remote places, people were there. I saw some amazing rigs and set ups and people spend serious dollars to do this sort of thing. I think Brad said they spent over $25K on the camper alone, and then shit loads more getting the vehicle ready. Then there is the expenses along the way, with Brad using between 18 and 25ltrs per 100 k’s… doing 16,000 k’s works out at about $9,000 on fuel alone, then we have accom, tours, beers and the odd meal here and there.
    I really thought I was prepared, but the truth is, you are never fully prepared for something you have never done before. I am used to driving from A to B set up camp and stay put for a week or so. This setting up, unpacking, packing up day after day is hard, very hard. Take into account the flies and heat. The only thing I actually did or seen that I have never done before was hook a Barramundi on a lure. I am much wiser and better for the experience. I am defeated and not completely beaten.
    I left Lorella on Tuesday and travelled the 3,000k’s home over the next 3 days. I stopped at Mt Isa in a shithole motel and then at Tambo in luxury. I learned that having items on a roof rack seriously increases your fuel consumption. Also the wide open plains of the outback have constant winds and driving into those headwinds also saps the fuel. On the way up the tracks ( north with the wind behind us ) I was getting 11ltrs / 100. On the way back into the wind, that blew out to 15.5ltrs / 100. I did dry run around Brisbane with the Collie fully loaded etc and was getting 9.2ltrs / 100. Very unexpected indeed. That had me rethinking my fuel stops and also installing a long range fuel tank is essential for these types of trips.
    There are many more stories to tell . It is now 2 days since my return and I am still really tired.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Phil

thanks for that

as far as lessons learned and the list of needs / changes anything you would like to share

via pm is fine.

I am am looking at doing something similar and on my own so any tips would be appreciated.

June would have been a better start time?
    Cheers

Steven

Tips.

Sort out fuel stations / address's so you can navigate straight to them via gps or the Hema.

Go in cooler months.

Install a 12V fan or two with long lead.

Brad had 3 x 12V fridges and an esky. 1 for frozen food, 1 for beers, 1 for dairy etc and the esky was inside the cab and used for waters, that were frozen overnight and used to drink during the following day. Also the esky had fruit in it, for travel nibbles.

A shitter....... tent thing....

Fly cream and face net.

Money... you'll need lots of it.

Good walking boots & socks. Akrubra and sunnies.

Your own kayak.

Good torches ( LED Lensors ) and headlamps.

Plenty of LED lighting attached to the vehicle.

UHF is compulsory.

maybe a Sat sleeve for your mobile. something like this:- http://www.optus.com.au/business/bro...FQQzlgodrswD8A

Hema navigator...... worked a treat.

If towing... tyre pressure sensors on ALL tyres.

2 spare tyres and repair kit.

A cordless impact driver with sockets for all things including wheel nuts.

Invertor attached to solar power to charge batteries for laptops, impact driver, cameras, AAA's etc.

ON your own..... maybe a winch, but if not going " extreme " ... no need, but certainly handy.

Storage of glass items ( sauce bottles ) jam etc etc use stubbie coolers....

Camp ovens make most meals...

chain saw.

Also a backing plate for the fire.

Crab cooker with " ring gas " element.

A shower and good water supply with 12V power.

Built in water filter.

Plenty of other tips, but that's about it for now.

cheers LP
    Attached Images Attached Images

I heard you bailed Phill. Brad reckons its just because you are a little nancy boy!! I am spewing I did not come along, given the delays I have had with this current contract I could have made it and spent another 3 months on the road

Whatever you think is a good tent in the bush, a 3 season hiking tent is the only way to go for the softies. When its hot as hell, you just leave off the fly and you are camping in the open air with a mesh protecting you from the critters! Swags are useless unless you get the ones with the tent poles and mesh, or go real bushie style and sleep on the mattress and leave the rest open. I tend to go for the open swag most of the time now, but I am starting to lean back toward my hiking tent, bonus is it takes up less room and weight on the motorcycle.