Thread: Best bang for buck braid

Best bang for buck braid

It's been a while since I've bought braid. I need to refill a few of my reels and was wondering if someone can recommend some decent braid & where they buy it. I don't need high end stuff, but the line must hold a knot well. I've used Power Pro & Fins before, was happy with both, but it looks like prices have gone up a lot.

Re: Best bang for buck braid

i get mine from fishcatcha tackle on the Gold Coast, 80lb 500m for 30$ or 300m for 17$ from 10-50lbs off gocatgostore from ebay

Cheers mate. I assume you're talking about the Sea Lion braid?

I wont touch cheap knock off braid- one burnt twice shy. It is something you buy once every 3 or 4 years usually- so what $15-$20 per year?
    If you get crap braid the chances are you will lose a few lures and good fish and then have to buy decent braid anyway to replace the rubbish costing you fish and tackle.
    Its a false economy. It is cheap for a reason and will cost you more in the long run.

Just say NO to Ebay braid.

Big fan of the Daiwa boat braid. Especially in the 1800m spools which can be had for under $200us + ship. So maybe go halves with a mate if its too much line.

Like any braid go off the diameter vs breaking strain to determine which one is best for you.

nothing wrong with ebay braid i've used them (sea lion brand) and replaced them once every year, never lost a fish using doubt loop palomar knot unless hitting reef or bad leader... never been burnt by them yet but i do notices if u keep it in the sun all many week long it dose weaken the line but that to be expected... but likewise it upto and whatever you prefer

Quote Originally Posted by mitc69 View Post
    nothing wrong with ebay braid i've used them (sea lion brand) and replaced them once every year, never lost a fish using doubt loop palomar knot unless hitting reef or bad leader... never been burnt by them yet but i do notices if u keep it in the sun all many week long it dose weaken the line but that to be expected... but likewise it upto and whatever you prefer
    I also run the sea lion braid. I like it a lot. Only small gremlin I found was the multicolour braid has "bled" some colour whilst on the spool. Giving me a rainbow effect a little bit. Only the blue colour dye. All others are good.

This was 20lb braid on my estuary setup.

I run the 50lb and 80lb on the offshore bottom bashing rods. $25 a spool works for me.

Damo's dodgy boat building repair shop.
    Damo's dodgy boat repairs.
    1993 bermuda by Haines 530f - completed resto.
    1976 cruisecraft rogue 14 - estuary weapon.
    1984 vickers easyrider 156 - future project.

Thanks guys, I'll give the Sea Lion a go. I've also ordered some KastKing, was $34 for 1000m of 50lb, delivered. People generally seem to be happy with it, but it's a bit thicker than the well-known brands. Will see how that works out

My $5 clearance Aldi braid has outlasted some of my brand name braid.

G'day lounge lizard,
    im not sure where your from mate but commercial fishing supplies at Warana on the Sunshine Coast sell braid and mono called exum. It's as good if not better than everything I've used including Finns. Korean made and on bulk spools. Roughly 60ish dollars for 500m of 50lb so not as cheap as eBay braid but thinner and much better imo. Same goes for the mono and the terminal tackle he sells.

Barryl 85 can you advise name and address of warana store
    AB