Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Socks....... I need socks

Question Socks....... I need socks

As the subject title suggests.

I need some socks, but not just any socks.

I am heading north ( NT and Kimberlys ) in late April and will be doing daily walks from 1/2 hr to 4 hrs. I have a great pair of Magnum Stealth Force 8.0 Sz boots but would like the socks to go with them.

I am thinking a nice solid / thick sock and probably made from cotton ? Need to pull the sweat away from my feet as the day time temps will be in the 30's.

I have looked on the interweby thingie without much success, so what I probably need now is a direction or website / forum to ask this specific question.

I doubt the wool socks will do or the wool blend........ and the polyester ones are crap...IMO.

Does anyone have a shop / website for me to visit or can give me first hand experience and suggestions ?

cheers LP
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

Re: Socks....... I need socks

Try the Explorer brand Phill .
    I am in mine up to 12 hours a day , they are wool though .
    I work on high rise construction , so I do a lot of walking throughout the day.
    Shawn

Here's a bit of an overview of my web searching today. Found what I needed and

I can get wool / poly blend socks here in Australia that are designed here but made in China for around $ 22 - $30 / pair

OR... I can get exactly same wool / poly blend from an Ebay store in the UK, with the socks made in USA and postage to me for $50 for 4 pairs

Seriously............. ???

LP

I use these for hiking. You will find wool will wick moisture away better than cotton.

http://www.bridgedale.com/trailblaze

Quote Originally Posted by Bremic View Post
    I use these for hiking. You will find wool will wick moisture away better than cotton.

http://www.bridgedale.com/trailblaze
    Where did you get them, according to their website, there is no Stockist in Australia

cheers

I have found that with work boots, the Explorer's are the only things that will stand up. You can wear a second pair of cotton socks underneath the wool ones if you are so inclined or your boots are rubbing. Also carry a roll of insulation tape - couple of wraps just above the ankle (not too tight) stops your boots eating your socks if they are so inclined.

My feet sweat very bad only sock i have found that works are the bamboo socks from a work wear shop , i also use a product called Driclor its a roll on anti-perspirant .
    NOW I,AM GUNNA EATCHA

Phill I am the same as Shaun ,I have been wearing explorers forever and have never had sweaty stinking feet they are great and last the distance I also wear mine 10-12 hrs a day in the construction industry as well ...Matt
    A bad days fishing has got to be better than any day at work......

Explorer socks for me as well

Former explorer wearer converted to bamboo socks ( no joke ) best socks ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky_Phill View Post
    Where did you get them, according to their website, there is no Stockist in Australia

cheers
    Ah, I am in NZ, I assumed they would be everywhere.

Thanks gents...... the search is on for Bamboo socks and the Explorer range.

cheers

Mornig Phil, Try Big W for the explorer socks, i also use stockpile wool socks. Use to get the bamboo socks at Great Escape Camping but they don't have them
    any more but they might be able to put you in touch with an outlet if you get desperate?
    Good luck
    Iain

Hey Phill, I am also a convert to the Bamboo socks. Totally Work Wear stock them. http://www.totallyworkwear.com.au/me...ies/socks.html
    I used to wear explorer brand but found that my feet slid around inside my boots when I was wearing them.
    Remember to always log on before heading offshore.

I wear explorers and bamboo (from wolf safety) for work, but own technical socks for walking - go to mountain designs/k2/scout outdoor centre etc. Even anaconda carry Teko brand merino socks - work socks are thick but I find they get hot spots when constantly hiking.
    nil carborundum illegitimi