Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How i failed the Q-safe LOL

How i failed the Q-safe LOL

so we got this new word they call coasting LOL, i wanted to see what the fuss is all about... this Q-safe thing, my oldest adopted kid went for her test, so i figure i have a crack at it instead of waiting for 40mins... and funny thing is.. they manage to fail me... in quote.. your not allow to shift gears into neutral to stop, your are suppose to downshift while breaking to maintain control...

i'm here thinking, omfg they want me to burn my clutch down and break my gears box rather then just replace my break pad lol... well i find going into neutral while breaking give you more control rather then listing to the engine scream at you... i always drop to neutral if coming to stop, mostly be sitting near 3rd gear roughly 40-50km/h before applying breaks in neutral and if it turn green, from neutral to 2nd gear and up it go lol been doing for the last 15yrs, auto car dose that.. the point of a manual car is to control it gears and it performance... not that i loss anything on that test, i just thought it was funny and stupid... so how many you guys/gals drive like me? lol

Re: How i failed the Q-safe LOL

Not sure mate. Wasn't a written test was it?

Quote Originally Posted by mitc69 View Post

i'm here thinking, omfg they want me to burn my clutch down and break my gears box rather then just replace my break pad lol... well i find going into neutral while breaking give you more control rather then listing to the engine scream at you... i always drop to neutral if coming to stop, mostly be sitting near 3rd gear roughly 40-50km/h before applying breaks in neutral and if it turn green, from neutral to 2nd gear and up it go lol been doing for the last 15yrs, auto car dose that.. the point of a manual car is to control it gears and it performance... not that i loss anything on that test, i just thought it was funny and stupid... so how many you guys/gals drive like me? lol
    Seriously - break your gear box??? Might be something other than downshifting that it the real issue.....LOL!

I hope you don't tow, or ever have to drive a truck.
    Dale

I fish because the little voices in my head tell me to

Not really sure how you got a manual licence...

"Going into neutral while braking give more control" sorry but I can not see how that would work and could even be dangerous at times, or did I misinterpret what you wrote.

Interesting though and not sure if still applies but my daughter lost points on her test by taking the vehicle out of gear at a red light, this was 12 years ago.

I think they make auto for people that can't use gears.

I got my B Double licence a few years ago and you had to down shift the gears when you were slowing or had to stop.
    I imagine it would be the same in most vehicles as when free wheeling you do not have full control of the vehicle.

"In my day..."....cars had drum brakes and you were taught to use the gears to slow down - 3 speed with no syncro on 1st.
    I guess brakes are much better now so probably not so important. ...that said, have you smelt the constant cloud of brake dust coming down Mt Glorious?
    I still do use the transmission to bleed off speed - even in the auto when towing the boat.

Hardly downshift was great in the days, when there wasnt many out there lol, a clutch part as cheap as dolls lol... nowday good luck down shift with the amount of crazy drivers out there
    I've had my experience with downshift small cars... downshifted into a 3 lane traffic then douche bag change lane at the last min, reacted stalled and almost lost my legs

my personal experience going neutral into breaking allow you to control for the unexpected, it allow u to full spam the breaks or allow you rev out if it by picking the best gear ratio given at the time, good luck downshift for the unexpected
    beside i bet most just clutch and break while in 3-5th gear then stop, jumping from 3-5 into 1 lol it as good as
    neutral.

no i do have HR
    license, heheh u need downshift for those thing, and your knee get sore lol and i wouldnt need to worrie for the unexpected lol
    and yeh you cant be out of gears at red light and now it seem u cant be out of gears while coming to a stop

getting lazy, towing is auto for must now

Coasting, Angel gear, call it what you want. It isn't new. You should take a hint from the driving instructor. And get spellcheck if you want to converse using words.
    nil carborundum illegitimi

an instructor give you ideal how it suppose to and how much it has changed over the years, dosent mean it the right thing to do, or the safest path of choice, if u think otherwise, then it monkey see monkey do
    and likewise if u have problem with my spelling then just ignore it, if it bother you that much, then your one of those ppl who think gettin degree edu will land you 200k/yr lol.... have to love these new young gen kids hex/vet them self to death lol thinking that the only way LOL

No, I'm a basic tradesman. And if you want to converse, words are the go. My opinion of people who use Angel gear comes from heavy vehicles, not driving instructors. So far all your guesses are incorrect. Want to go double or nothing?
    nil carborundum illegitimi

Quote Originally Posted by GBC View Post
    Coasting, Angel gear, call it what you want. It isn't new. You should take a hint from the driving instructor. And get spellcheck if you want to converse using words.
    bit tough mate going at a guy because of his english literacy / vocab / spelling - the guy gets his point across and some people are part dyslexic ( i am ) and maybe the guy did not get a crack at a full time education up to tech or uni level due to having to earn a dollar - and i have met a few smart successful men in my time that did not go past the scholarship level and hence had the odd bit of trouble with the queens english

i wonder why there are so many bad drivers around.......mitc what do you drive so i can get the friggn hell out of the way ....

i have survived teaching our 24 year old to drive and just finished teaching the 17 year old daughter who didnt even know were the keys went 12 months ago (is now a really good driver with even the driving school only left to brush her up on the latest rules/methods...not bad for someone who got his licence 40 years ago) ....pretty much a instant fail for coasting into the lights/corner with the car not in gear....

mitc hand your licence in or redo the test ........