Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is it just me or have lights become complicated

Is it just me or have lights become complicated (update)

Gents,
    I've started searching around for lights for the new bullbar going on the Dodge.
    I've always ran Lightforce - the old 240 blitz in 100w halogen. I've got similar in hunting spotlights but also a lightforce 240 with a 55w HID which is bright.
    So when it comes to driving lights - is it halogen, HID, LED, and there's 3 different wattage in all of them?
    Have a look at these two pages of light.
    https://www.tuffbullbars.com.au/prod...es/spotlights-

I've never ran HID's on the car and am wondering if they may be too bright.

I'm after some opinons if I may.

Brett

Re: Is it just me or have lights become complicated

I was driving around in the NT last week using some ARB Intensity LEDs. Best lights I've ever driven with.
    Dale

I fish because the little voices in my head tell me to

Depends on what you need ?

Long distance brightness...... white light........... flooding that gets wide of the road ?

I am not a big " light " person.... I did however put a LED bar on the Collie... about 10,000lumens.. and it suits my purposes. Nice white & wide light.... and it does go further than my high beams and it lights up well into the bush beside the bitumen.

cheers
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

Hey Bugman

I run the 240 blitz in 100w halogen on the Patrol and find them pretty god for spot not the best for side vision though. My mate runs the HIDs and they are a heap better than mine but a fair bit more $. I have just got a 21000lumin light bar off Ebay for the Navara 10 Degree spots and 40 degree spread. should fit perfectly in the nudge bar and hopefully be bright and more spread. I should get it this week and hook it up on Saturday. I dint go for the cheapies at $70 odd but one at $110 fo a 20 inch. See how it goes and I will put up a picture. It I pretty confusing what to get but I think that will suit my needs.

LED's generally are rated in lumens, which is the light they produce, the old style halogens are rated by the power they use, not how much light they produce. Ggood luck finding a manufacturer whom makes it easy to find out how much light they actually produce so you can directly compare them to an LED..

Quote Originally Posted by aussiebasser View Post
    I was driving around in the NT last week using some ARB Intensity LEDs. Best lights I've ever driven with.
    once you go LED you never go back. I ran the small 6" Peak leds and against the ARB intensity they were just a tad not as good.

when Peak came out with their bigger units I swapped over and they are better than the ARB units. Compared against each other on a property out near Dirranbandi.

http://www.peaklighting.com.au/xplor...ng-lights.html
    Cheers

Steven

A cheap 160w light bar does me these days. Wide, even light, no hot spots and easy to drive behind all night. Lights are so subjective there is no single answer. My hid lights were too bright on the road and would flare back off anything they hit. Impressive but counter productive.
    nil carborundum illegitimi

Hey Buggy

Currently run IPF spotlights with HID & a 44 inch light bar on the roof.
    The light bar wins hands down, nice wide beam which tends to keep the roos out on the sides of the road instead of jumping into the light.
    HID can be a pain on street signs.

HID can interfere with radio.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Cheap led can interfere with radio too

Quote Originally Posted by StevenM View Post
    once you go LED you never go back. I ran the small 6" Peak leds and against the ARB intensity they were just a tad not as good.

when Peak came out with their bigger units I swapped over and they are better than the ARB units. Compared against each other on a property out near Dirranbandi.

http://www.peaklighting.com.au/xplor...ng-lights.html
    With those and the ARB's I'd want them to deep fry whatever you were looking at so it was ready to eat when you got there for the sort of money they are asking for them LOL. Certainly agree though - once you go to LED, it is difficult to consider going back. Single row 32 inch bar on the front of my cruiser - doesn't go down the road a million miles but far enough. You can get a bit of glare if there are a heap of signs around. If I was wanting a bit more "down the road", short of going to something expensive in LED, I would combine a good set of halogens with spot beams and a light bar for the wider work

Yep not cheap

but I'm no longer scared of the dark. Instant daylight at the flick of your right hand.
    Cheers

Steven

Quote Originally Posted by scottar View Post
    With those and the ARB's I'd want them to deep fry whatever you were looking at so it was ready to eat when you got there for the sort of money they are asking for them LOL. Certainly agree though - once you go to LED, it is difficult to consider going back. Single row 32 inch bar on the front of my cruiser - doesn't go down the road a million miles but far enough. You can get a bit of glare if there are a heap of signs around. If I was wanting a bit more "down the road", short of going to something expensive in LED, I would combine a good set of halogens with spot beams and a light bar for the wider work
    Scott you've nailed it ... I've gone old school 100w hallogens as the spots and I'm putting a decent LED light bar across the front. Best of both worlds. My hunting HID spotlight is a very bright light and not sure of going from daylight at night to dark when going from high beam to low beam with oncoming cars.
    BTW the LED versions were nearly $1400 fitted. Makes the halogens look attractive.
    Brett

I'm old, and I can remember back in the 1970's paying $300 for a pair of Cibie Super Oscars to put on my new $4200 Datsun. The $1500 LED's don't seem to be as expensive by comparison.
    Dale

I fish because the little voices in my head tell me to

About a year ago I bought a 30'' 180w bar for my 200 it's a Cosmoblaze and was rated pretty high in some US forums supposedly 19800 lumen.....It caught my attention as it was supposedly an Australian either assembled or manufactured with US cree leds....Anyway at $440 delivered and IP69 rating it has been great......problem is it shines that far I have dip my light's too early as not to blind other road users so I seem to be driving in the dark more than when I didn't have the bloody thing......anyway it's good quality bit of gear for the price and it's survived 2 good roo strikes and not missed a beat yet.
    Confidence.......the feeling you get before you fully understand the situation.