Thread: GC Monday & Tuesday

GC Monday & Tuesday

Having worked hard lately the boss gave me Monday of work so I could enjoy the better weather of the weekend at the coast.

Went for a troll on Monday out NE of the seaway looking for a little marlin, and after a few hours and only a little zip, a wahoo of about 12kg stayed connected and came aboard. Jim 1 wahoo nil...

I persisted for a while loosing another lure to wahoo (Jim 1 Wahoo 1) before heading south after hearing Jeremy had picked up a dolly down that way

Found the deep bait ball and no boats around and after 2 passes had a little black come up and hit the right rigger but not hook up. He kept having a crack at the lure but wasn't hooking up, so tried backing off the drag when he next had a crack and he took about 50m before I put drag back up but still could not hook up. Pulled the lure in to find he had pulled the skirt down over my hooks. Given he hadn't felt the hooks I fixed the lure and spent a bit more time trying to raise him without luck.

Decided to troll back in after hearing Jeremy hooked up in closer and in an attempt to save a lure or 2 ran a jet head out the back. About 60m line heard a zip from my short and that was my fav zacatak gone (Jim 1 wahoo 2) seconds later the rigger pulls but didn't hookup. Given the wahoo about I pulled it in to find the leader and larva lure head mauled and hanging on by a thread. Trolled in a bit closer before heading in happy to have a feed but a bit disappointed I had not got what I wanted.

With Tuesdays weather showery and no work I gave it another go. Went back to where I raised 1 the day before and found some bait and after a few laps had a zip with no hookup. A large front with heavy rain moved in so headed north and back in to avoid it.

Ended up in an area with average quality and cooler water and no bait, but was pleasantly surprised to hear the drag scream and a little marlin start dancing. It's always a mission clearing lines and teasers when hooked up and fishing solo and once clear enjoyed a great ariel display before he came to the boat a little tired after his show.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	100.4 KB 
ID:	112187Click image for larger version. 

Size:	101.0 KB 
ID:	112186Click image for larger version. 

Size:	68.7 KB 
ID:	112185

Hooks out and a quick photo shoot and he was fired up again and off. Lures went out for another hour but with another big front of showers coming I headed in.

Both marlin bites were on green lures and those bloody wahoo will eat anything with mono but seem to be careful of the jet heads!

cheers

jim

Ausfish Silver Member

Re: GC Monday & Tuesday

Great report , love the pics. Thanks for sharing. Mid week fishing - nice to by pass the crowds. I think I ll have to try those larva lures/skirts- any particular model/size ?? 6.5 inch ??

best regards,

Lew

Thanks for the report

Blog Entries

Brilliant!!!! Thanks for sharing

Great stuff Jim. Nice when the hard work pays off!

Great report thanks mate, nice work on the marlin. Definitely on my to do list. Only seen them hooked up when on the troll for mackerel.