Thread: New bay snapper PB

New bay snapper PB

First time posting. Fished in the bay a couple of times over the last month chasing mackerel, with not a huge amount of success, bite offs and not surfacing long enough etc. Decided to give an early snapper fish a try before the sun gets up and the mackerel started surfacing to throw some slugs at them. First session resulted in a 38cm first up then a couple of drifts later a 53cm squire hits the surface. Also busted off by a fish somewhere around the size of the bigger fish. Chased mackerel aimlessly for a little bit before heading back to the ramp to head off to work.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0191[1].jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	42.4 KB 
ID:	112180

Next trip a few days later, busted off second drift on a estimated 60 cm fish. Made adjustments to rig and about half hour later hooked up to a decent fish. After a tussle on the light gear up pops a nice 63 cm snapper. Few more drifts and on again to a slightly larger fish, but fish takes line too quick and finds the reef. Another few drifts and after a good tussle with another fish again it finds the reef. Fish go off as the sun starts to rise.

Name:	IMG_0195[1].jpg 
Size:	45.7 KB 
ID:	112181

Trolled with the trolling board for a few minutes and then the reels goes off, wind in and a decent size schoolie/spottie pops up to the surface. After a bit of hectic hand - lining and a few good run it comes back to the surface. Just as its about beat, the line goes around its side fin and as it pulls away the spoon pops out of its mouth. Fish started to surface balling up bait nearby with birds flying around but its getting on and I've got to head back to the ramp to go to work, so leave them to the other couple of boats zooming around.

Monday morning this week, have another crack at it with the full moon Sunday. Try this time to fish more drag at the risk of popping the line rather than getting reefed like last session. After a fair while drifting around, the fish decide to bite. Drift over the spot and I'm on, can tell this fish is around the same size as the fish hooked last time. With the extra drag this time the fish stops my drift and starts to turn the boat. After a few seconds (felt like longer) of to and fro I finally start to get a few turns on the reel. After some decent runs up pops a 69 cm snapper, a new bay PB for me.

Name:	IMG_0238[1].jpg 
Size:	43.7 KB 
ID:	112183

After a couple of pics put him away into the esky and continue to drift for a couple of small moses and grassies.
    Try trolling on the way home but manage to hook only a few grinners (damn things are everywhere).

Can't wait for snapper season! Thanks for reading my post.

Dave

Re: New bay snapper PB

Sounds like a eventful couple of trips well done and thanks for posting
    happy days ahead summer is coming

great fish and good eating size too, i reckon bigger than that arent as nice on the plate
    Tangles KFC

Great post !

Thanks for posting and good to hear of your success

Not a bad effort well done.

Thanks guys. Yeah Tangles your right, misses got one in the bay when we were out a few years back that went 91cm (still holds the title in our house - will be hard to beat). Great trophy fish but wasn't near as good on the chew. Not sure if I'd take one again that big.

And they call them pan sized for a reason too, but still depends on fish as to what size is good eating
    Tangles KFC

Yeah for sure that's true.

Great writing Daveje. I nearly felt like i was there.
    Darren

great effort .. did all the snapper come on the drift and were all caught on baits ?
    Dad reckons fishing is 10% brains and 95% muscle, the rest is just good luck.

Yeah Kingcray, all were caught on the drift and on baits.
    Thanks Daryl tried to make as interesting as I could. I enjoy reading the great reports on this site.

Blog Entries

Thats not a bad couple of sessions there mate. Thanks for taking the time to write it up

Great report thanks mate. Itching to get back out in the bay after reading that - been a while.

How lucky are you to have fish like that in your backyard , and no bar crossing to contend with ,I am envious ,Cheers