Thread: Slow day turned black

Slow day turned black

Went down the Gold Coast today. Was very tempted to go to South Passage based on a recent report from a friend, but the forecast was a bit iffy and there was a swell running. Went straight out to to the spot in 80m and I found one good deep bait ball and that was it.

Put the lures out and trolled SW first up to where I had found some bits and pieces of bait on my way out and then trolled back North in 75m. Got a mahi mahi about 6 kg there and half an hour later had a fish pull about 2 m of line off a reel but no hookup. I Continued North in 75 - 80 m and then headed East to Spot X. Water looked great and temp was around 28 degrees. Sensational day and hardly any other boats out there (big clue there!). I pulled the lures in about 11 am and found that my teaser had bill marks! I headed in to 55 m NE of the Seaway. Water was 2 degrees cooler than out wide and a bit greeny. I trolled NW and then South in 50 m. Changed the long corner lure to pink/blue/silver from a blue/silver and swapped the short corner for a Halco! Gave it another half hour and then at 1 pm I decided it was lines in. I pulled the teaser in and as I was putting it away I had a strike and was on. Nice little black on the pink/blue/silver lure. Turned a slow / average day into a good day!
    Attached Thumbnails - Click to enlarge Attached Thumbnails - Click to enlarge Click image for larger version. 

Name:	black selfie s.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	82.7 KB 
ID:	112166   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	black swimmer s.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	93.4 KB 
ID:	112165  
    "The underlying spirit of angling is that the skill of the angler is pitted against the instinct and strength of the fish and the latter is entitled to an even chance for it's life."
    (Quotation from the rules of the Tuna Club Avalon, Santa Catalina, U.S.A.)

Apathy is the enemy

Re: Slow day turned black

Good finish well done.

Persistence pays off! Well done... Something for the table too!

I raised one out where you started your day, but he pulled my skirt down round my hooks and didn't set the hooks properly... The razor gang evened the ledger on my way back in pinching 1 of my old favourites....

might have ave another crack tomorrow!

Cheers

jim

The wahoo seem to love those Lava lures. Good to talk to you on the water Jim and good luck tomorrow.

Ausfish Silver Member

Good stuff- its great how a fish can make a day . Thank you for the report/info - great pics.

Best regards,

Lew