Thread: Burley

Burley

Just would like to know how everyone makes their burley. I have been looking around for a hand mincer but can't find one, they are on line but have different sizes and I not sure what i need.
    I want to mince up old bait, pillies,prawns,whiting frames etc.
    These old school mincers are cheap though i have heard of some using blenders.
    Help me out here what are you using.

Mark

Re: Burley

I have been looking at this as well and still undecided as what to do I saw on an old post that someone used a garden mulcher for tree branches. If you use a blender buy the missus a new one and use the old one.

One of the problems of using rubbish for burley, is you end up with millions of rubbish fish around the boat, a far better option is to use pieces of what you are using for bait, small bits, just tossed over by hand to slowly drift down naturally, just like your bait! Kilos of shit is great for attracting Sharks though.

We use an old 52 size comertial mincer running on a 5 horse chonda. Picked up a couple of 70cm snapper couple days ago so we anchored up and iut went this brew that knocked the top right off the 2 foot chop.
    Resulted in the best 2 hours fishing we've had for a long time

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

I use an old food processor that was bought from a garage sale for $10. Only use the stainless blade for chopping it all up. No good for big bones though. I make up different lots to suit where I'm fishing . Save the stale bread and chop it up. Add a can of cat food with pillies, put it in sandwich size zip lock bags and freeze it.The frozen bag size fits in the berley tube or just break off bits and toss over the size.

I have an old hand mincer. Works great with frozen pilly's but as they thaw the bones get compacted into the main body area of the blades and clog the thing up. You end up basically just mushing the things up if you try and mince them defrosted. Keep having to dismantle and clean out the frame.

I got screwed over big time with this. My darling Mrs let me use her food processor to mince-up a bunch of old bait and fish frames from the freezer in the garage.
    It failed and burned out after a few minutes. I had to buy her a replacement later that day. Upgraded version of course.
    Expensive burley but it certainly worked well.
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

Quote Originally Posted by scottar View Post
    I have an old hand mincer. Works great with frozen pilly's but as they thaw the bones get compacted into the main body area of the blades and clog the thing up. You end up basically just mushing the things up if you try and mince them defrosted. Keep having to dismantle and clean out the frame.
    Old hand mincer is the go, look for one that has an extra screen, the last bit with holes, some came with one that is triangular sections making for chunkier burley. I think it was originally for making pie fillings, it doesn't clog up like the others but I haven't seen one for a while, need to go around garage sales but just can't bring myself around to doing it.

I used to make mine and put it into 1 litre milk cartons, staple the top and freeze, stack well and will fit into most burley cages.

I just had a look in the shed and found an old screen but it doesn't fit the current mincer but will give you an idea.
    Attached Images Attached Images

An old insinkerator is the go.....fast and not too finely chopped.
    I bought one at a trash and treasure for $5 two yrs ago.

Mount it in your cleaning station then feed the frames straight thru into the bucket.
    Jack.

Anyone use snapper frames for burley when fishing for snapper?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

How does squid go in the hand mincer?

I had trouble with squid in the electric blender.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by castlemaine View Post
    How does squid go in the hand mincer?

I had trouble with squid in the electric blender.

Cheers
    Good when frozen. Not as well once thawed

Quote Originally Posted by Shark Poker View Post
    I got screwed over big time with this. My darling Mrs let me use her food processor to mince-up a bunch of old bait and fish frames from the freezer in the garage.
    It failed and burned out after a few minutes. I had to buy her a replacement later that day. Upgraded version of course.
    Expensive burley but it certainly worked well.
    Sharky, me thinks your misses knew the food processor was on its way out, so of course you were screwed over lol
    As far as burley goes though, I do the same as NoelM and cut up bits of the bait I'm using.. usually "Pilly Stuff" long life bait..

Check out "The Rodfather" at Tingalpa. I got a burley mincer there a few months ago and it works fine. It is a coarse version of the old style hand mincer and there were a couple of sizes available. Helpful bloke too.

I have an old sink disposal mounted in a milk crate. Just put a bucket at one end and feed in any old bait, fish frames, some tuna oil and stale bread into the other and out comes a lovely fine burly ready to freeze into blocks for the next trip out.
    works well and cost less then $10 to make up, can shred apart just about anything.